PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good 460 Kit

Green95Hoe
09-11-2006, 08:58 AM
For those of you that followed my dreaded engine knock, im going to pull the engine next week and teardown until I find the problem. I dont know what to expect for problems and if its an easy fix then ill just repair it and re-assemble. If I find out the crank is bad, then im going to stroke it. Ive adapted to the 426's power and its time for more. At this point im set on the Hotrods kit. I found this link to what looks to be an almost complete kit. Seems to be a great price. I dont want to get taken on parts but I dont want to put crap components in either. Opinions?? Im assuming thats an HD rod attatched to that crank

Im assuming ill also need:
CRF Cam Chain $35
Hotrods Stroker Cam $150
GT Thunder Head Studs $60

http://www.lukesracing.com/luksr/trx460kit.htm

http://www.lukesracing.com/400ex460kit.jpg

Wheelie
09-11-2006, 03:18 PM
The price is right.

GPracer2500
09-11-2006, 03:24 PM
And CP makes some of the best pistons available.

krt400ex
09-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
And CP makes some of the best pistons available.

x2^^^^^

the only thing i would worry about ids the crank. i have never heard os Lukes Racing, so i couldn't tell u

Green95Hoe
09-11-2006, 05:53 PM
If you click the link to the site it says its a Hotrods Crank

krt400ex
09-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Green95Hoe
If you click the link to the site it says its a Hotrods Crank

theni would get that kit, if the price is right. i didn't see the link.

Woodrowbt
09-12-2006, 08:33 AM
anyone know who sells the 440 kit?

Green95Hoe
09-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Hmm, ready to buy and I goto the site and there is no place to buy online. I call the number and leave a message saying Im calling to purchase a stroker kit. Theyre message says due to high volume of calls, they are taking messages and calling everyone back in the order they got the call. Well its been 4 hours and I still havent heard back. Not a good way to do business IMO. Id go somewhere else if I could get a similar price for all those parts

krt400ex
09-19-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Green95Hoe
Hmm, ready to buy and I goto the site and there is no place to buy online. I call the number and leave a message saying Im calling to purchase a stroker kit. Theyre message says due to high volume of calls, they are taking messages and calling everyone back in the order they got the call. Well its been 4 hours and I still havent heard back. Not a good way to do business IMO. Id go somewhere else if I could get a similar price for all those parts

dude, 4 hrs isn't wnything. wait a day or 2. if they r getting that many calls then they r prolly calling them all back asap, but they prolly have 200 other calls before u

Green95Hoe
09-30-2006, 11:55 AM
So I went and ordered the kit. Split my case last night and started to put things in. Pressed the bearing on the crank and put it in the case. Started spinning it and heard a noise. Turns out one of the teeth is bent on the crank gear. There is actually a hairline crack and one tooth is noticeably bent. Based on the location I find it down right impossible that I could have done this. The crank was sent to me in this condition. Im gonna call Luke and tear him a new one cuz now I have a block in 83 pieces and chances are Ill forget how to get it together by the time he gets me another crank. Worse off is the fact that I pressed that new bearing on and I dont think I can get it off without going to a machine shop and paying someone to do so.

I wonder id I can get that balancer gear off the crank? If its possible to have that removed then I could probably use the old one from the stock crank. Either way it seems everyone is out to get me on this project and I wanted to let you guys know about my experience with Lukes Racing.... for now...

ilpadrino113
09-30-2006, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't rip right into him. Let him knwo what happened and see what he can do about it. If your calm they'll be more likely to help you out than if you just yell at em

Green95Hoe
10-03-2006, 07:14 PM
Well I spoke with him yesterday and he was actually very co-operative. He is sending me out a replacement immediately. I lost a couple days but hey thats what happens in this game I guess. I was presented with the challenge of getting the new bearing off and I was able to by heating it up. New crank should be in tomorrow.