PDA

View Full Version : Who has stock rebuilds??

GIXXER1KR
09-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Who is running stock rebuilt shocks.Its time to decide and im lost.I am leaning toward a rebuild and a link so post what u got and who did it and how u like it...Thanks!!!!!!!:)

Phills450r
09-11-2006, 08:24 AM
C&D did my buddies and thats where mine are at right now :)

Lonestar_R
09-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Mine were done by Santo Derisi and I can't be happier.....I go the XC Spec Rebuild with Santo's rear Link, and they work awesome....here is a pic of my fronts

Pappy
09-11-2006, 09:04 AM
You wont go wrong with any of the rebuilds done by the well known folks discussed in this thread. C&D, Derisi and GT Thunder all have excellent rebuilds.

TWISTED
09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
Mine were done by Santo Derisi and I can't be happier.....I go the XC Spec Rebuild with Santo's rear Link, and they work awesome....here is a pic of my fronts

How much lower was your quad after the shocks were done???

Lonestar_R
09-11-2006, 04:01 PM
umm I think it was around 2 if not 3 inches lower than stock

GIXXER1KR
09-11-2006, 06:02 PM
The only thing that raises a big ??? for me is that everyone except Colby uses a rear link!!!Even Elka.So that's why im not sure!!!!!!

quadwanter
09-11-2006, 06:26 PM
hmm rebuilds.....to the guys who have them...have you ridden any other kind of shock...like elka's, how do they compare

GIXXER1KR
09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
I have heard that a few people have had rebuilds and aftermarkets and depending how they were set up like either.Some people with both even like the rebuilds better after they were set up properly!!!!!I have heard very good things about GTT and am in the process of discussing setting up mine with Laz!!!He from what i hear has been at it the longest.IDK for sure though!!!

Lonestar_R
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I will say that Laz will be more expensive than Derisi.....if cost is an issue.....I rode a GT Thunder rear rebuild on a 400EX and it was much better than stock....I had TCS Fronts and rears on my old 250R....and these revalves give them a run for their money.......I have less in my revalves front and rear with a link and the shipping both ways than I would of with just the price of new TCS Fronts

400exrider707
09-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Love mine. I have C&D rebuilds on the front (TCS conversion), and the GT Thunder rear w/ linkage. I absolutely love this setup, and I can honestly say that I like it better than my full elka setup on my 400ex that I had. Both were built to my specs. The rebuilds seem to soak up all the small stuff and stay really plush, which is a lot more than I can say for the elkas.

GIXXER1KR
09-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Do u have to run shock covers on these or is this buy choice!!!Sound like a stupid question but i noticed they take off the plastics dust covers.Just curious???

Phills450r
09-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
Do u have to run shock covers on these or is this buy choice!!!Sound like a stupid question but i noticed they take off the plastics dust covers.Just curious???

your choice.. i would run shock covers just to keep them clean

firefighterjosh
09-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Not to take away from the thread but...
Lonestar_R
Did you get those rims off a Level2? I have the same on my Level2.

The TRuck in the back...

Lonestar_R
09-12-2006, 09:26 AM
FireFighterJosh, Mine is a Level 2....a 2004 to be exact......

firefighterjosh
09-12-2006, 07:32 PM
FireFighterJosh, Mine is a Level 2....a 2004 to be exact......

Mine is a 04 too. I never seen a red level2 with the pin stripe like that.

Lonestar_R
09-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Umm dude you can't see anything but the the rear wheel in the pic I posted....you have mine mixed up with the other pics that was posted.....

firefighterjosh
09-12-2006, 07:55 PM
Umm dude you can't see anything but the the rear wheel in the pic I posted....you have mine mixed up with the other pics that was posted.....

No wonder I am so flipping comfused. I seen the front on the red truck and it wasn't the new style. Cuz they only have made L2s since 03 I believe.

Alright I am on the right track now:D

trx400exxracer
09-12-2006, 08:01 PM

I have to agree with him Santo is the man great price for amazing shocks it lowers it a good bit I also have the xc rebuilds and linkage

trx400exxracer
09-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by quadwanter
hmm rebuilds.....to the guys who have them...have you ridden any other kind of shock...like elka's, how do they compare

my brother has Elka's they are pretty nice after you get them set up correctly and get the right springs and all about $3,000 was the price tag on them!!! Mine were $625 rebuilt shocks with link i think!

but my rebuilds are deff. in the same leage as Elka's!!!

here is his quad red 450r

trx400exxracer
09-12-2006, 08:12 PM
his quad has standard travel rebound and compression ajustable front Elka's and long travel rebound and comp adj rear if i remember correct

here it is with the right and proper springs rides pretty good now!

quadwanter
09-12-2006, 08:29 PM
so you would definatly go with rebuilds again? ...damn his bike sits low now at least in that last pic...my god...what size tires does he run in the rear?

trx400exxracer
09-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by quadwanter
so you would definatly go with rebuilds again? ...damn his bike sits low now at least in that last pic...my god...what size tires does he run in the rear?

rebuilds are awsome and you cant beat the price!!!

yeah his rear sits low after he got some different custom springs from hypercoil?

he runs 20's the normal size same as me!

here is how low mine is with DeRisi racing rebuilds but i am thinking about getting a softer spring or gaining some weight this winter so can get my rear end a wee bit lower

mstrav1
09-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Elka rebuilt mine and converted them to triples and set for my weight. I have been running them on the stock arms even though they are set up for +2" and they work better then stock!!!

GIXXER1KR
09-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Nice post guys exactly what i was looking for.Neutral from both aspects.I am really thinking im going to send my shocks to Laz at GTT!!!!!!!!:D

trx400exxracer
09-13-2006, 05:19 AM
Nice post guys exactly what i was looking for.Neutral from both aspects.I am really thinking im going to send my shocks to Laz at GTT!!!!!!!!:D

why not Santo:confused:

Lonestar_R
09-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Santo is way cheaper....

trx400exxracer
09-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Santo is way cheaper....

Yup you can save $100 by going with him and his rebuilds are just as good if not better than all the others

400exrider707
09-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
Yup you can save $100 by going with him and his rebuilds are just as good if not better than all the others

I dont think its fair to say that, UNLESS you have ridden all the competitors on the exact same wheeler, and they were all setup exactly for you!!! IF you have done all of that, then please enlighten us on why they are better. Thanks:cool:

GIXXER1KR
09-13-2006, 08:07 PM
I will either go with Santo or Laz.The main reason i am ruling out C&D is they dont use a rear link.Theres gotta be something behind that.Most of the top companies for aftermarket run rear links and there very expensive!!!!!I hear Santo is a very nice dude to deal with and he racess GNCC so u know has some experience!!!:chinese:

woodsman250r
09-13-2006, 08:26 PM
Go with GT Thunder...here is why rather than just saying to go with Laz without backing it.

1. Laz designed the rear linkage and has put the most testing and design in the setups to make sure they are the best.

2. Laz will shorten the shock body of the front shock to give you more wheel travel which results in a smoother, better ride.

3. Santo uses the link that Laz designed and doesn't have the revised link setup with different spring and valving for the rear.

4. Laz will setup your shock to work just like an aftermarket to your specs. He has a machine to help him set up the stock shocks to aftermarket specs if you don't believe me.

5. You won't find another shock builder out there who does more testing and has more experience in rebuilding the stockers.

6. He can setup a stock shock so well that his boy Brandon recently switched back to his stock revalves and is at the top of the 4stroke A class in GNCC.

7. I have talked to many racers and they all had the same thing to say...the revalves from Laz are just as good if not BETTER than anything they have ever rode on. And I talk to top level racers who have made these comments to me.

8. I have had him work my shocks and I can honestly say its the best I have ever rode on, and so have the people who have rode my bike.

GIXXER1KR
09-13-2006, 09:31 PM
I have chatted with Laz thru email and he seems to know his ****.I have sent an email to Santo to see what he says!!!So do u really need the link or what on the 06!!!!!Just want to make the right decision!!!!There all in the same price range **** i was even looking into long travel and top notch shocks but if i can get buy with a rebuild why not!!!!!

trx400exxracer
09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
I have chatted with Laz thru email and he seems to know his ****.I have sent an email to Santo to see what he says!!!So do u really need the link or what on the 06!!!!!Just want to make the right decision!!!!There all in the same price range **** i was even looking into long travel and top notch shocks but if i can get buy with a rebuild why not!!!!!

all 450r's are know for the rear end bucking badly with a stock linkage so i would get aftermarket if i were you!!!

and why get long travel when you are not goin to use all of it. i mean seriously i have never bottomed out on my rear rebuilds, i have on the fronts a few times cause i landed wrong on some jumps.

but if I were you i would get rebuilt rear and linkage, and aftermarket fronts like axis!!! but mabye you need to work your way up, So just try the rebuilds out first and if you dont think they are good enough you can always sell them easily but i dont see why they wouldnt satisfy you!!!:D

red2004 TRX450R
09-15-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by woodsman250r

6. He can setup a stock shock so well that his boy Brandon recently switched back to his stock revalves and is at the top of the 4stroke A class in GNCC.

I have raced with Brandon in the AWRCS races and let me tell you his shocks work!

I thought i could go through the ruff stuff at a good race pace, NO he came by me several times at different races like I was sitting still.

my shocks are gong to laz as soon as the other half will let me. :rolleyes:

09-15-2006, 10:47 AM
here is lonestar_r's bike right after he got his shocks back from derisi...he hadn't really set them up yet, just bolted them on and we took the pics. they were taken just to show the difference the shock revalves make to my stock shocks. derisi will be getting mine over the winter...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/WXKRP-derisifront2.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/921056/PBJCP-derisirear.JPG

one thing i don't like about gt thunder, even though he knows what he is doing, is his personality. he is not a very pleasant man to talk to.

by the way, i have the 400ex with the gt thunder rear link/rear shock revalve and elka front shocks that lonestar was talking about...

GIXXER1KR
09-16-2006, 10:28 PM
What a difference in how the bike sits.Its lower but not that bad that if u hit the trails ull be bashing it up!i think ill be sending mine soon.Whats the average turn around for Derisi!!!And does he machine the fronts for more wheel travel.Wonder how low the front sits with the MX rebuild and if it can be adjusted to raise the front for trail riding!!i know GTT does the machining for another 1" of wheel travel so thats huge!!!!I have sent a couple emails to Derisi with no reply back!!!:grr: So i think i might send them to Laz seeing he does do the maching to allow more wheel travel!!!!!!!

trx400exxracer
09-16-2006, 10:58 PM
What a difference in how the bike sits.Its lower but not that bad that if u hit the trails ull be bashing it up!i think ill be sending mine soon.Whats the average turn around for Derisi!!!And does he machine the fronts for more wheel travel.Wonder how low the front sits with the MX rebuild and if it can be adjusted to raise the front for trail riding!!i know GTT does the machining for another 1" of wheel travel so thats huge!!!!I have sent a couple emails to Derisi with no reply back!!!:grr: So i think i might send them to Laz seeing he does do the maching to allow more wheel travel!!!!!!!

It is better to call DeRisi very nice guy to talk to thats the best way to get a hold of him

GIXXER1KR
09-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah im gonna call him.I did notice that GTT does the machining of the front shock bodies for 1" more wheel travel but it looks like he still does single rate rears and offers a dual rate front set up as an option but Derisi does a dual rate rear and triple front!!!DECISIONS DECISIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woodsman250r
09-17-2006, 08:15 AM
For woods riding you don't want a dual rate rear shock. Also Laz can make a dual rate front setup work just as good if not better than a triple rate. That is why he does his setup with a dual front and single rear with a new link.

GIXXER1KR
09-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Would i have the adjustability of ride height adjustment.So if i wana ride trail i can raise it for clearance and if i have a track day i can lower it!!!!I guess i cant go wrong with either(GTT OR DERISI) now i need to decide if i want the MX or XC setup.I do mostly rough rocky trail but do lots of jumping,whoops, and some MX...

400exrider707
09-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer

and why get long travel when you are not goin to use all of it. i mean seriously i have never bottomed out on my rear rebuilds, i have on the fronts a few times cause i landed wrong on some jumps.

Do you even understand the concept of long travel? It really doesn't do anything for wheel travel. You really only gain shock travel, which in turn makes the shock way more adjustable. Also if your never bottoming that just means your shocks are incorrectly setup for you. You should bottom every once in a while, this tells you that you are using the full travel of your shock. If you never bottom then your not using all of your shock.

woodsman250r
09-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Would i have the adjustability of ride height adjustment.So if i wana ride trail i can raise it for clearance and if i have a track day i can lower it!!!!I guess i cant go wrong with either(GTT OR DERISI) now i need to decide if i want the MX or XC setup.I do mostly rough rocky trail but do lots of jumping,whoops, and some MX...

Go with the XC setup because that is great on the trails but at the same time you will have no problems on the MX track. However if you get the MX you will have a rougher ride in the woods. You will still retain full ride height adjustment with the GT Thunder setup as well.

GIXXER1KR
09-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Yeah i think thats what im gonna do because it just rides like chit with the stockers so lowering it to a MX set up i think would be a big mistake.I am at stock height now with the +2+1 set up and its not bad on the track it just needs to be set up better.So now i just need to figure out who to send them too!!!:confused: LOL!!!I tell you this has been a long *** post but its been a huge help.Almost there!LOL!!