PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know why??

QuadJunkies
09-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Why is it that the graphics dont stay on well on the 450r??

We had someone who knows how to install decals do it ,they was purrrrfect.after 4.5 months, they are bubbling.
Its like its starting to dry out and peel off.:( This is on the tank area.

Sucks too cause we like these graphics.:ermm:
Ive read before that tohers have this issue.

I will need to buy some new ones, but Im afraid they will do the same thing.

ThumPIN_450R
09-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Do you have the little vent holes in the graphics? Because of the way the gas tank contracts and expands and breathes a little vapor out they won't stay on unless they got the little breather holes in the sticker.

QuadJunkies
09-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
Do you have the little vent holes in the graphics? Because of the way the gas tank contracts and expands and breathes a little vapor out they won't stay on unless they got the little breather holes in the sticker. Yeah, they do have the slits, but they arent like broken threw slits. Ill have to take a pic and show you to explain better..

BTW, did you race this wk end at Monticello?Ive been DYING to hear how things went

ThumPIN_450R
09-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Well I don't know what to tell ya then other than I think you have equal problems with graphics as I do motors. I didn't race monticello I haven't got my motor back together from throwing the rod. I probably wouldn't have gone any ways and if I had gone from the mud people were describing as being there I doubt I would have raced becuase I hate mud with a passion. Lapper on pittraffic said it was so bad yesterday it broke his front fenders from the mud packing underneath them.

QuadJunkies
09-10-2006, 10:39 PM
I read that.. That sucks .We dont care too much for mud either.
I didnt realize your motor was still down and out.That sucks.

ThumPIN_450R
09-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Not to big of a deal with the bike not running. I could have had it fixed but I decided to pay off my massive bill at my local shop before I started in on it again. I've been racing dirt track cars to pass my time.

DirtDevilBT
09-11-2006, 02:16 PM
I have some One Industries graphics that bubbled some time down the road. Then when I wasn't looking, lol, they went away. The grahics have been there for over 2.5 years.

Give them some time and the bubbles should go away. Otherwise, take a razor knife and cut the bubbles to lay them flat. If the whole thing is coming off then you have a problem, like the tank wasn't completely clean before they were put on.

450rJam
09-11-2006, 06:57 PM
my one industries tribal held great for 5 months........then some small bubbles...........then some bigger ones...........now the corners are pulling up........I prepped the tank with alcohol after draining it and letting it set empty for 48 hrs.
for the 65 bucks I think ill get another set.

groundhog_464
09-11-2006, 07:05 PM
and the answer is...
450R's are just to friggin fast the stickers cant even hang on!!!!!

HA HA

QuadJunkies
09-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
I have some One Industries graphics that bubbled some time down the road. Then when I wasn't looking, lol, they went away. The grahics have been there for over 2.5 years.

Give them some time and the bubbles should go away. Otherwise, take a razor knife and cut the bubbles to lay them flat. If the whole thing is coming off then you have a problem, like the tank wasn't completely clean before they were put on.
Actually... NO.. it WAS clean, we have installed SEVERAL graphics before, its something about the 450r that has issues with them sticking to the tank area. Ive read this many times.They had no issues until time has past, its just getting worse all the time :(
Hopefully they will go away,but I dont think so.

QuadJunkies
09-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by groundhog_464
and the answer is...
450R's are just to friggin fast the stickers cant even hang on!!!!!

HA HA
Well,I never thought of that...!!
that MUST be the answer then!:D

firefighterjosh
09-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Its due to the Gas Fumes. Are they turning yellowish too?

The 450 Graphics go strait on the tank correct? Well my buddies bike graphics stick strait to the tank and they did the same thing.

I am about 100% sure the fumes slowly make there way through the plastic and fade/warp the stickers. If you look at a 400 or something the graphics do not stick strait to the tank. Just about every sticker/graphic kit I see stuck strait to a tank is a pelly yellow mess.

DirtDevilBT
09-12-2006, 09:46 PM
^^^ that is exactly the reason. All I had to say was my bubbles went away. I ride mud, sand, desert, and trails= I'm sorry but my graphics and tank graphics after 2.5 years look great. Dunno pal:D sorry

QuadJunkies
09-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Its due to the Gas Fumes. Are they turning yellowish too?

The 450 Graphics go strait on the tank correct? Well my buddies bike graphics stick strait to the tank and they did the same thing.

I am about 100% sure the fumes slowly make there way through the plastic and fade/warp the stickers. If you look at a 400 or something the graphics do not stick strait to the tank. Just about every sticker/graphic kit I see stuck strait to a tank is a pelly yellow mess.
they havent turned yeloow-YET.... Ill have to shoot a pick and post it .
I never had this problem with my 440ex though...:confused:

Must be that luck of the draw like DirtDevilBT Eh? lol:p

firefighterjosh
09-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

Your 440 graphic don't make direct contact with the tank.

I seems any graphic kit that goes directly against the tank seems to peel of turn yellow. At least for most dirtbikes.

Maybe DirtDevi has a higher quality graphic kit or something. Not sure.

DirtDevilBT
09-12-2006, 11:56 PM
Nope, just luckier lol
:D :devil:

twisted threads
09-13-2006, 03:39 AM
Tina maybe your just to hot and the stickers are melting off??:macho ;)

gbcap
09-13-2006, 06:02 AM
the major issue was if the tank was dry or filled when the graphics went on?

yea, they can have the vent holes, but the plastic still has fumes in it if the tank is full of gas. if you drain the tank and leave it open for it to evaporate for atleast 48 hours if not more, then the graphics will stick a whole lot better. mine are holding strong going on 7 months now just normal wear from racing so much.

get a new kit, pull the tank, drain it, let it sit, then apply them. see if that helps!

TCracin440ex
09-13-2006, 06:31 AM
qj ive had the same problem....i liked my stock graphics and me like an idiot pulled them off to put on a dmp graphics kit i bought and they have only been on there for a week or so and the tank graphics are already bubblin...

but that graphics kit was cheap i bought it and i was not happy with it at all when i got it half of the 3m backing was peeled off already and wont very stickey at all....i wish i could get a refund or get a new one but its too late ive already put it on my bike i figured it would be ok...but apparently its not...

ive still got the seat cover.....anybody want to buy a dmp seat cover

TCracin440ex
09-13-2006, 06:34 AM

ive had graphics kit on my 400ex for goin on 2 years now n-style graphics...and i sold the 400ex and to this day the graphics kit is still on the plastics i put on it, but yet my dmp is already peeling...

QuadJunkies
09-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by twisted threads
Tina maybe your just to hot and the stickers are melting off??:macho ;)

LOL!! Now Im SURE thats not the reason!! :o :p ;)

QuadJunkies
09-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by gbcap
the major issue was if the tank was dry or filled when the graphics went on?

yea, they can have the vent holes, but the plastic still has fumes in it if the tank is full of gas. if you drain the tank and leave it open for it to evaporate for atleast 48 hours if not more, then the graphics will stick a whole lot better. mine are holding strong going on 7 months now just normal wear from racing so much.

get a new kit, pull the tank, drain it, let it sit, then apply them. see if that helps!
Im pretty certain the tank was probably full :(
Maybe Ill order another set this fall.

QuadJunkies
09-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
qj ive had the same problem....i liked my stock graphics and me like an idiot pulled them off to put on a dmp graphics kit i bought and they have only been on there for a week or so and the tank graphics are already bubblin...

but that graphics kit was cheap i bought it and i was not happy with it at all when i got it half of the 3m backing was peeled off already and wont very stickey at all....i wish i could get a refund or get a new one but its too late ive already put it on my bike i figured it would be ok...but apparently its not...

ive still got the seat cover.....anybody want to buy a dmp seat cover
Do you have any pics of yours?

09-13-2006, 10:23 AM
it's the fuel tank!!! that's one thing i don't like about the R. Most other quads have additional plastic that covers the tank. But, no. Honda didn't do that this time around. So, your gas tank gets all scratched up and looks like crap. You can't buy new plastic.......you have to buy a new tank. It's a real sore spot with me.

anyway, it doesn't matter whether or not your graphics kit has holes in it. Doesn't matter at all. Think about it. Your gas tank is made of a different type of plastic. It's a "breathable" plastic which allows gasoline vapors to pass through. The gasoline vapors don't care whether there are holes in your graphics kit. Do you really think the vapors are going to stop and say "hey, i can't get through in this spot. I better search for a spot that's open. Oh, here's a spot!!! Hey, everybody I found a hole to go through. Let's all go through these holes and stay away from the blocked areas!!!". NO, the vapors will not do this. Anywhere the graphic is "sticking" to the tank, will eventually bubble.

Now, there are some that drain, dry, and clean the tank. Then, apply petroleum safe clear coat before installing graphics. But, I'm afraid to try that. Because, the ATV manufacturer made the tank out of "breathable" plastic for a reason. And, sealing it up with clear coat doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on this subject.

TCracin440ex
09-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Do you have any pics of yours?

nah no pics....i can take some or i can dig up a pic of someones 450r on here that has the same kit i do....

idk why but im still infatuated with the east coast atv graphics but i cant get my hands on um...

i am def gonna get rid of this kit tho....im not a fan of the dmp anymore because of how i got the kit...the 3m backing was falling off so the graphics had lost alot of their stickiness....

the seatcover is nice tho...i wouldnt mind having that on my bike but i dont want a miss matched seatcover/graphics kit so imma get a whole new kit soon

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=2251710

heres a quad with the exact same kit i have on mine

TCracin440ex
09-13-2006, 11:00 AM
side shot

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=2251716

QuadJunkies
09-13-2006, 11:15 AM
thats too bad, it has a nice design .:(

I like the K&K's shattered graphics ,I wish I could see them insalled and not just on a pattern.but I still like the ones we have originally as well.

TCracin440ex
09-13-2006, 11:55 AM
thats too bad, it has a nice design .:(

I like the K&K's shattered graphics ,I wish I could see them insalled and not just on a pattern.but I still like the ones we have originally as well.

i just called eastcoast atv and they discontinued the old 450r graphics that john used to run and he said they discontiued because they were made by dmp graphics and the quality was down the drain....and he was very friendly and sent me pics of the new 450r graphics they have...

EDIT: do you have a pic of the k&k shatterd graphics...i was a big fan of the old style k&k atv graphics kit....then they went with the tribal flame design and tribal flames are so played out...

TCracin440ex
09-13-2006, 12:00 PM
http://www.kandkatv.com/store/images/joel%20004.jpg

nm tina i found a pic of the shatterd graphics on the yfz...i wish they came in red with a white shatter or red with a black shatter....

QuadJunkies
09-13-2006, 12:05 PM
thats the one:cool:

If they had some of them with some color mixes, it would be even better.:macho

TCracin440ex
09-13-2006, 12:22 PM
thats the one:cool:

If they had some of them with some color mixes, it would be even better.:macho

they will look awsome on black plastics or as pictured white plastics....i dont think they will do to well on red or anyother color to be hones with you...

QuadJunkies
09-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
they will look awsome on black plastics or as pictured white plastics....i dont think they will do to well on red or anyother color to be hones with you...
I agree,thats why I thought some kind of colored designed ones would look good. Too much white in them for Red,yellow,blue ect..

TCracin440ex
09-13-2006, 12:27 PM
i believe imma just reorder me some stock graphics if i can and put back on the 450r and order me a throttle jocket gripper seatcover...i wish i could find a kit that i like....some are too showy, some are too boring...the old eastcoast is the graphics kit i really like...idk at this point but ive gotta get rid of this dmp kit

DirtDevilBT
09-13-2006, 09:55 PM
All other quads have plastic OVER the gas tank. Therefore the decals are not on the tank!

Drain your gas and let it sit for some time before putting the decals on. Also, do not use water when appling the tank decal!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>However, you guys are REALLY REALLY going to hate me. lol
I cleaned my tank with water and dried. Then slapped the decals on. The tank was completely full (lmfao) and gas cap left on the whole time. Road the bike a week later.

2.5 years beatchessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!
lol, sorry, now my tank is gonna catch fire huh.

QuadJunkies
09-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
All other quads have plastic OVER the gas tank. Therefore the decals are not on the tank!

Drain your gas and let it sit for some time before putting the decals on. Also, do not use water when appling the tank decal!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>However, you guys are REALLY REALLY going to hate me. lol
I cleaned my tank with water and dried. Then slapped the decals on. The tank was completely full (lmfao) and gas cap left on the whole time. Road the bike a week later.

2.5 years beatchessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!
lol, sorry, now my tank is gonna catch fire huh.

You best go knock on some wood !! Cause now your graphics are gonna come off!!:p LOL!