PDA

View Full Version : Lt500

Andrew400ex
08-30-2002, 08:48 AM
hey, about these lt500s..they look like the freakin fastest thing alive,and i dont know why no1 talks about them if its a 500 2-stroke. well i just wanna know some stuff about them like top speed and handling...the other day though,my friend told me they do 100 out of the box..any info on these would be appreciated...

08-30-2002, 08:51 AM
Maybe if you get your grades up mom and pop will buy ya one..:eek: :D

Andrew400ex
08-30-2002, 09:12 AM
haha,nah i dont thik i would want an olddd SUZUKI....as for my next quad,theres been much specualtion. i was most set on the banshee,but i dunno,i know a kid who owned 2 400s,2 banshees,and now has a 250r,and he said he wish he got his 250r before the banshees(he didnt have all this at one time). then i rode the new z400,impressive ride,i felt it kept up with the 400ex,and it pulled hard mid range,and i didnt really consider gettinone...then i found out the kids governor was on HALF WAY!! so if i only rode half the bike right there,it seems like a nice contender. i rode my friends new 2003 Black and Red raptor(his 2001 blue was stolen) and it was very nice,i think i'd prefer it over the z400. but as of now it seems like i like those 250rs...so if any of u are sellin one or maybe selling one around novermberish let me know..

o and i am still considering another 400ex,proably would get that over a z400

airheadedduner
08-30-2002, 10:33 AM
The LT is faster stock for stock against a banshee. It will not do 100mph though. I don't think it will even top 80 but that is still damn fast. The LT's are really unreliable and handle like your school bus. I would take a banshee over one.

hangman
08-30-2002, 10:34 AM
The reason noone talks about them is that they haven't been made in 10 years and there aren't that many of them around anymore. They wouldn't do 100 out of the box but I'd say about 85 is pretty reasonable. They didn't handle that great so they weren't the hot setup for racing ( except sand drags and hillclimbs). They've just about become collector's items. It's hard to find one in decent shape for a reasonable price. I'd like to find one just as a project. There is a big Quadzilla club out in Cali but don't know the name or any info.

skemp
08-30-2002, 11:18 AM
The Zilla's did about 79.5MPH out of the crate. They are the fastest production quad ever made sitting right next to the Tecate 4's. They are big, heavy, and don't have the sweetest handling around, and the only place they have ever felt at home is in the dunes especially shooting hills. The motors were VERY potent, even stock. I am not sure on the actual HP numbers, but they are a handful. Every 500 motor had a problem with the main bearing area. The material around the bearing is weak and gets out of round after a while. For about $250 it can be fixed permanently by installing brass inserts that cannot wear out. Although the weight and size take away from handling, the suspension is very good and has both front and rear rebuildable Showa's. In modified form, 75 to 80 RWHP is very realistic. It is pretty difficult to find one that isn't completely ragged out, but there are also some VERY nice modified Zilla's out there, but you will pay to get them.

Master400ex
09-07-2002, 02:31 PM
HAHA LMFAO

TRX250EXER
09-07-2002, 03:43 PM
I ride with a quadzilla. THOSE THINGS ARE TORQUE MONSTERS. one thing you didnt mention is its a powervavled 500 2 stroke. meaning you can adjust the power to come in at a lot lower rpm. acts a little more like a 4 stroke with tons of power. stock readings Ive seen claim that quadzillas push around 48-52 hp stock. a guy my buddy bought his cool head from somewhere up north, builds them all the time. he said he has never built a zilla under a 100hp. And he said they were pretty reliable for what was all done to it. The only bad thing I dont like about them that I found out from my buddies experiences... they have thrust washers in them unlike the honda's. so when the piston blows they went too and blew a lot of crap everywhere. at least thats the way I understand it. I personally dont like the thrust washer idea. he grenaded his motor bad. worst Ive ever seen. thats why he bought the cool head cuz he destroyed the stock head. everything was chewed up bad. my point is, when a zilla blows... IT BLOWS! unlike my other buddies R. when ever it goes it just blows piston rings. the honda 2 strokes are more reliable. plus blow away a lt250R. The other thing I dont like about the LT500R is it is too heavy. it is a tank. wider than heck and longer than heck. if you love hillclimbing and dragracing than it might be for you. But I dont think I would want one to rip around the woods. just my .02

True rider
09-07-2002, 08:43 PM
Qaudzilla's (to me are the fastest mo fro out there), Ive never seen a kxf250r or tecate 4 in action but they are rare and fast as for the zilla it flllllllllllys! Stock, like trx250ex said it is powervalved so they have different power options, so far as for the reliability they only thing ive found (im was in the market 4 a old zilla) that the a-arms break easily, also back in the 80's and early 90' they wernt detuned like they are 2day.:rolleyes:

09-08-2002, 10:14 AM
I bought, restored, and sold an 85 LT 250 over the summer, and I did ride it. I am now not a fan of suzuki's older machines. I put about 15 hours on it, and it handled like a de-railed boxcar. 20ft jumps were out of the question, and its reliabilty was questionable. I did get it running really well, but it is in no comparison with any honda. Of course, with enough money, it would have blown away many honda's, but it isn't a good machine to start with. As for the 500, they seem to be better than the oldest 250's, but they still aren't great. I know a guy who owns several of them, but he only rides two of them in the dunes, and a couple of the others he drag races. All of his machines are 1990 models, and he says they are "okay" as far as reliability, "decent" as far as handling, but doesn't reccomend them to someone who rides daily.

CHAR250R
09-08-2002, 01:31 PM
I've had 2. Both 89's. Most of the info in the previos posts pretty much say it all. I had no major problems with mine. One was ported by Duncan racing with his pipe and silencer. FAST. The other was stock with a FMF pipe and silencer. Not as fast as the Duncan motor. Had no problems jumping them either. Very wide, no fun in the tight trails. Faster than the Banshee, not by alot. If you find a good one, buy it. Stay away from the 87's. The had a 6 stud head, and liked to blow head gaskets. They changed to a 7 stud head in 88. Good luck.

buckNbanshee
09-08-2002, 04:09 PM
i heard they hit 95 on a long strait

01_400exrider
09-08-2002, 04:24 PM
My dad owned a lt500 before he bought his 02 400ex. His 500 was piped, bored .30 over, ported and polished by our good Friend Eddie Sanders (ESR OWNER) and he was clocked around 100-103 on the street. But thats not out of the box now is it :D

TRX250EXER
09-09-2002, 12:11 AM
about the lt250R's... everything ive read on them states dont get a 85 or 86. get '87-'92. they had more power and were much better machines. thats what I read on a suzuki forum before. dont know if it is fact or not. I ride with 2. one is a '91 and the other a '87 and they both are great quads. but stock for stock dont compare at all with a honda 250R. can be made to beat most tho. takes some money tho