View Full Version : lubricating chain

arrow9815
09-09-2006, 10:25 PM
question
some people say to lubricate the chain and some people say just to clean it put wd 40 what do you guys think.

apparently by putting chain lub dirt sticks and uses the gears faster, by putting wd 40 dirt doesnt stick on chain ???????

ramoncito paez
09-09-2006, 10:33 PM
i'd go 4 the lub. cuz its made specially 4 the chain

redexrider
09-09-2006, 10:39 PM
well what are you riding? I am almost positive that all 400ex's (stockchains) are o-ring chains. This means you do not need to lubricate it as a normal chain would need to be, but deffinately keep it clean. You do not have to use "chain lube" on it, and yes it does make dirt stick to it and sand. But the chain is internally lubed and is sealed by o-rings that prevent the lube from going out and any contaminants from going in... Just dont us a solvent to clean it that will eat away at the o ring seals and penetrate them. I clean mine after every ride with the soap and water that I clean the rest of the quad with, and then after drying I spray a light tough of WD-40 on it to prevent corrosion, and that is it. It is holding up great, and I have no problems or unusual sprocket wear.

stalefish_132
09-10-2006, 01:04 AM
all i use on ym chains is 80-90 gear oil, i've had this recomended by many peopel and the last 6 years i've been useign it i've never had a problem. if you put to much on it can be a bit messy but will make your chain last twice as logn if not longer. don't use WD 40 on your chain, WD-40 is made for spraying on a seized bolt and breaking it loose. if you put that bolt back on with WD-40 it will seize back up again. same idea with your chain. i've used gear oil on everything from non- o ring, O ring, X ring, bicycles, chain saw, etc etc. best you can use.;)

arrow9815
09-10-2006, 06:54 AM
thanks guys for the help

pitchblack400
09-10-2006, 12:41 PM
I use Klotz Chain Lube in the red can, it works awesome, and it bubbles up when you spray it so it spreads good inside your chain guard. Dirt DOES NOT stick to it, its not a wax. Dirt does stick to wax VERY VERY BADLY. I will not use wax. But the Klotz works awesome. I would highly recomend it. And it seems like it lasts forever.

Yes the chain is O-ring, in your manuel for a 400ex it says that it needs to be lubed once a month. But i just spray mine down after i wash my quad when i get out of the woods each time. Works wonderful, the Klotz washes off of the quad pretty easy to, thats a major plus.

flauge
09-10-2006, 01:00 PM
I think im gonna try that klotz b/c i get tired of spraying on wd 40 before every ride.:scary: It does keep your chain looking nice tho.