PDA

View Full Version : 450 shocks and carb

joel400ex
09-09-2006, 06:57 PM
yea i was just wonderin how much of a differance it would make if i got 450 shocks and carb . for the shocks would it just be easier to get a elka set or somthing like that rather then just stock 450s or what do u figure? and how much differance would the carb make?

sburton1
09-09-2006, 07:41 PM
well oull hear very many different opinions on this subject all are just opinions. to get the 450 shocks to work well youll have to get em revalved and resprung witch costs like 400 plus the 250 you can pick up used at this site. so for that price you could but a nice used set of elkas or new peps or works. and the carb i say go for it great mod for the money and easy to hook up. just be pacient jetting it may take a while to get right. just my 2 cents

CHEVYZ
09-10-2006, 05:42 AM
The 450r shocks, I would not get. I got them, and at first I liked them. The more I rode it, the more I realized how bad it had made the handling of the bike. It rode like crap. IMO they are not worth it unless you can find some already valved for the 400EX. Pretty soon I will be switching to a nice set of Elkas or Works.

As far as the carb, it is an awesome mod all around. It is very easy to install, and it only takes about 30 minutes to do everything. I have been running it on my 440 for a while now and really like it. It gives a nice increase in both power and response over stock. I was a little worried about losing bottom end with such a large carb, but to be honest, the bottom end is what impresses me the most every time I ride it. I switced from an Edelbrock and prefer the 450r carb, if that says anything.

joel400ex
09-10-2006, 12:56 PM
awesome thanks guies any more oppinions or tales of shocks not working good. and i hear that u gotta mess with the jets and valves a lot if u go with a 450 carb.

CHEVYZ
09-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Not that I know of. I have had mine on for a while now, and haven't had any problems at all. I threw in a 180 main and never touched anything else. I am sure it isn't fine tuned, but it runs damn good just like that!