PDA

View Full Version : i need a quick answer.. about spraypaint please.

atvRiDa400ex
09-08-2006, 09:25 PM
hey i was wondering if there's a spraypaint out there that will stay on plastic and look good at the same time. i have my gas tank cover and its red and i want to paint it black...i dont wanna get a new one because it was so hard to keep my stock one with my maier plastics. thanks

450robot
09-08-2006, 09:27 PM
krylon fusion, none other

atvRiDa400ex
09-08-2006, 09:28 PM
do u know if u can buy that at a pep boys or auto store or somethin??

05_KFX
09-08-2006, 09:34 PM
WALMART...

atvRiDa400ex
09-08-2006, 09:39 PM
sWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

wow big help thanks guys!

FreekShow
09-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Painted with Krylon Fusion

wilkin250r
09-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Keep in mind that preparation is REALLY important. Sanding and prep are key to good adhesion, and that's going to be important as your plastic flexes.

Also, the Krylon Fusion isn't fuel-resistant, so be REALLY careful when you're filling your gas tank not to spill.

Don't let these warnings scare you, just be aware of them.

rooster300ex
09-09-2006, 01:22 PM
yea what wilkin said, and make sure you let it dry for longer then it says before you install it onto your bike. My buddy put his tank on and rode his atc250r before the recommended dry time and it flaked off after one ride.

theTman
09-09-2006, 03:41 PM
krylon(plastics)

09-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Krylon is pretty good. My friend put it on his 4-wheeler and it stayed on for the most part. The problems he had was putting gas in it, it'd spill some and he'd have to respray the spot. And he sprayed the plastics, put stickers on and then took the sticks off.

FreekShow
09-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Krylon, don't need to prep or anything. Just wipe everything down with alcohol to get the oils out of it. If you don't do this step really well, it wont adhere and it will bubble up. Use Krylon Clear Matte finish to put a protective coating on the paint. Works really good.

atvRiDa400ex
09-09-2006, 06:27 PM
well the thing is i am not going to take my gas tank cover off...i am going to tape everything off and cover the whole bike except for that... look at my red gas tank cover.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/mestoe/DSCN1150.jpg

400eXr1d3rZ
09-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by atvRiDa400ex
well the thing is i am not going to take my gas tank cover off...i am going to tape everything off and cover the whole bike except for that... look at my red gas tank cover.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c120/mestoe/DSCN1150.jpg

Where's your Elka's, Burgard a-arms and Baja's?

theTman
09-09-2006, 06:42 PM
it takes like 5 min. to take the tank cover off.....:huh

400eXr1d3rZ
09-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by theTman
it takes like 5 min. to take the tank cover off.....:huh

More like 5 seconds. Pop out 4 pins and its off.

81 clark racing
09-10-2006, 08:27 AM
all u need is a flat head screw driver and its simple 5 sec job u pop out 4 pins. and a black maier tank cover is only like 25 bucks or so. i tried painting mine and it looks like total **** and if u ride in the woods haha 4get it

rooster300ex
09-13-2006, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by FreekShow
Krylon, don't need to prep or anything. Just wipe everything down with alcohol to get the oils out of it. If you don't do this step really well, it wont adhere and it will bubble up. Use Krylon Clear Matte finish to put a protective coating on the paint. Works really good.

I never thought about putting a clear coat over it. I would put a good thick coat of that stuff and you'll prolly be alright even if you do get some fuel on the side. Just have a rag right there with ya so you can wipe it off right then.

atvRiDa400ex
09-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Where's your Elka's, Burgard a-arms and Baja's?

sorry man those are supposed to be under wish list....lol:p :rolleyes:

Crazy Diamond
09-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Krylon Fusion WILL NOT adhere to Maier Plastics! Don't waste your time. There is something in the plastics (oil) that does not let it stick! I had a set of Maier Fenders on my EX and painted flames on them. Looked awesome but rubbed right off with my finger after 48 hours of dry time. NOT scraped-Rubbed!!! I contacted Maier and they said that you can not paint their plastics!!! Sorry!!!

atvRiDa400ex
09-18-2006, 09:31 PM
its not maier though....i want to paint it because i bought maier fenders and didnt get the gas tank cover...its still stock plastic gas tank cover. thats the only thing i am gonna paint

Crazy Diamond
09-19-2006, 08:56 PM
OK! But I thought the stock Honda Tank Cover was Black! It holds up good but watch for the gas spills! Wiping it off as soon as it hits still screws up the paint! I painted my wife's whole Wolverine! It came out good and scratches just like the stock plastics did!

atvRiDa400ex
09-21-2006, 08:48 PM
not a 2002...its red and yea i will have to be careful with the gas

CannondaleRider
09-21-2006, 09:07 PM
First, take the cover out, simple to take out, will make the job turn out MUCH better. And don't be impatient and just throw it on there....Use these steps, and it will turn out great...

Krylon Fusion Painting Directions

1. Take the plastic and rub it lightly with some 200 grit sandpaper. LIGHTLY, otherwise you will leave deep scratch that will show.

2. Clean the plastic really well with a tack cloth. Then use brake cleaner in the folds and bends to get any grease and grime out.

3. Use a good cleaner with ammonia or rubbing alcohol. Something that will not leave a film.

4. Put on the first coat as more of a speckle job. Do not try and cover everything on the first couple of coats. Make them thin. And do at least three coats to cover the whole thing in the first 24 hours, But not to close together.

5. Let sit AT LEAST 5-7 days to harden and dry, Then apply another coat or two.

6. Wait until the tack is gone on the final coat you apply. And then use a clear acrylic coating. Do not get very close to the paint when using the clear coat. Always stay a foot back or you will cause an 'orange peel' effect. I like to spend 2-3 days with the clear coat.

7. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! After it dries for a couple of days. Put it in the tub and wet sand LIGHTY with 1500 grit paper. You must wet sand! It will make the surface very smooth and slick. That helps it not to chip and does not give place for mud to stick and make it start flaking. Be very careful on the edges, those are the first place that it's going to chip.

If you take your time with Fusion and do it right, you can get some fantastic results.

00tn300ex
09-25-2006, 07:10 PM
also there is one more option i work in a bodyshop and there is a product called Bulldog Adhesion promoter.it makes paint stick to almost anything.when we have to paint plastic bumper covers for cars it is the only thing ive found that will make the stick and flex.when i use it i will spray a coat of it on let it tack for about 5 to 10 minutes then add some to the paint and itll make the paint flexible.

09-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Diamond
Krylon Fusion WILL NOT adhere to Maier Plastics! Don't waste your time. There is something in the plastics (oil) that does not let it stick! I had a set of Maier Fenders on my EX and painted flames on them. Looked awesome but rubbed right off with my finger after 48 hours of dry time. NOT scraped-Rubbed!!! I contacted Maier and they said that you can not paint their plastics!!! Sorry!!!

I took a junk piece of maier and spray painted it with engin high temp paint black it was on their good. Only way it would have came off is from bending the plastic cause it would have cracked.

Paint cant bend. If it is bent it cracks right away.

CannondaleRider
09-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by slow

Paint cant bend. If it is bent it cracks right away.

Not if it is made for objects that will bend....IE Krylon Fusion.

You can also add a bending agent to regular paint

Crazy Diamond
09-26-2006, 09:06 PM
I sprayed a piece of 1/8 th inch Lexan plexiglass with FUSION before painting my wifes quad with it. No Prep-just peeled off the paper from the Lexan then sprayed 2 coats on it. Waited 24 hours then cut it in half. One piece I slid across the road to see how it would look after say a roll over the other I bent until it broke. It had some stress cracks around the break but never flaked and it bent pretty well without peeling!

On the Maier fenders I scuffed well then used Methel Ethel Keytone. It wiped off with a dry cloth after 2 days of drying!

djguestone
10-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by theTman
krylon(plastics)
How's it holdin? What kind of riding do you put that plastic thru? Thanks.

djguestone
10-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Instructions on the can say no prep needed though i still did light sanding. Here's before and after pix of my Black Krylon Fusion painted grill frame. I thought the radiator heat would be too much for it but it holds well. The heat did not affect the paint at all!! I recommend!!!
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/DjGuestOne/Quad%20Pix/Banshee19.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b197/DjGuestOne/Quad%20Pix/Banshee24.jpg