PDA

View Full Version : 05' raptor starting problem help!

nicktrx450r
09-08-2006, 08:52 PM
ok my freind has a raptor. it wants to start but wont... it cranks over but i get nothing..where should i start ...sparkplug...carb...floats...???? i dont no what to d0o

DieselBoy
09-09-2006, 10:39 PM
we can't help you unless you give us specific details of the problem. ground the spark plug in the plug boot to the side of the engine (METAL SURFACE), and turn it over. is spark visible? if not, you have an electrical situation on your hands.also, if the plug is wet than thats a good indication the sparks got something wrong with it. a good healthy spark is dark blue

nicktrx450r
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
ok i took the off the plastics, gas tank, air filter. i checked for spark its fine. i used starting fluid. and start up for like 2 sec. i drained the carb bowls there was gas. i dont know where to start to find out y its not getting gas. i tapped the bowls to see if the floats were stuck i got nothin.

help i wanna go riding this weekend and got no one to ride with..lol

DieselBoy
09-11-2006, 08:53 PM
ok, so you have good spark. Now, the plug is dry? if so your not getting fuel. check that the fuel is flowing freely from the tank, and blow out the carbs with compressed air gently, but dont damage the needle&seat. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work with the carb's cleaned... But definately check the fuel hose from the tank. it could be plugged, or off.

nicktrx450r
09-12-2006, 09:04 AM
i checked it flows freely from the tank. the spark plug is fine. i didnt clean the carbs but i no the gas is getting that far cause they fill up. i dont know if i even want to take the carbs apart. looks like a pain in the ***. do u think the floats are stuck.

DieselBoy
09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
it's very possible their stuck, OR something is plugged. it's actually not that bad. all you do is take the fuel bowl off, and blow it out & reassemble it. I know there is 2, but still... you'll be surprised how simple it is. BUT REMEMBER: examine how everything sits inside it, and MAKE SURE you dont drop the needle out when you open it. other than that, a good shot of air and some cleaning, you should be on your way. If the spark is good, the compression is good, fuels getting there and the timing is correct then I dont see why it shouldnt run.

make sure you blow out the jets, and canals.

Mike,

nicktrx450r
09-12-2006, 09:04 PM
im goin to try that in the mournig hopefully i dont mess somthin up.thanks for ur help ill let u know how i make out.

,nick

DieselBoy
09-12-2006, 09:31 PM
just remember to take off the LOWER half of the carb (usually 4 small bolts). use the appropriate socket, and apply WD-40 as neccessary. Once its loose, carefully remove it over a table of some sort where you can visibly see any parts should anything fall out. move the float up and down, make sure the needle is in ok, shoot some air in there, and when putting it back together tip it upside down (so float bowl will not interfere when the fuel bowl is remounted.

Keep in mind some gas will come out.

nicktrx450r
09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
everything moves fine but it will not move air through the tube where the gas goes in. floats were ok. nothing fell out. what do i do next.

Talljess
09-13-2006, 04:59 PM
still sounds like it could be a weak *** spark...fuel is getting there if ether started it...change the plug

DieselBoy
09-13-2006, 07:34 PM
If the spark plug was wet I would be very concerned. But you said it is dry and will run on ether, so thats good.

Blow out the copper jets. I don't understand why you wouldnt be able to. You must release the needle (attached to float) down so it can flow. Shoot air in until its free, and reassemble.

edit: i see what you meant. dont shoot air through there it probably wont work, the needle is probably closed. open the carb and clean the copper jets.

nicktrx450r
09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
ok i got it running the needles were stuck closed... they had gunk stuck to the sides of them so i gave them a quick clean and put it back togeather and started up. ill let u know wut happens next

nicktrx450r
09-14-2006, 02:54 PM
before the quad wouldnt start. i took the carbs apart and found the needle jets were stuck closed. so i cleand them put it all back togeather then it ran good for a little bit. i took it out drove it for a min. then it stalled. i started it back up and it sounded like it was out of gas but it wasnt. it will start but wont stay running unless i hold the throttle in but it sounds like crap. it blows black smoke out the pipe.
05' bike is all stock
someone tell me how to fix this plez.

DieselBoy
09-14-2006, 06:07 PM
the black smoke is indicating that your getting TOO much fuel. You may be best off taking it to a dealer (sadly) if your not good with carbs and you have a deadline to meet.

nicktrx450r
09-14-2006, 06:17 PM
ok eveything works good. me or my freind didnt tighten one of the screws in the bowl and it fell out. put it all back togeather and eveything works great.

thanks for ur help diesel

nick