PDA

View Full Version : First time to the dunes

Woodsrider
08-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Wooo-Hoooo! Went to Moses Lake yesterday for an overnight road trip. We thought we would get over and tear up the sand before the big crowd this weekend.
I have never ridden in the dunes before and this was my freinds first real trip out on his new Z. We met a freind from Spokane with another 400EX, at the dunes.
We had the place practicaly to our selves! Three other camps in the place. It was too hot to ride until 7pm so we didnt get too many pics. Most of the riding was done at night. Way too cool, that is a blast. We rode some more this morning from 6:30 till noon, then packed up for the trip home.
I am hooked:D

No damage to the quad but I got a bad burn on my arm when I slipped while lifting the rear axle out of a whole that I had just dug trying to roost Matt an the top of a dune:eek:

at the beach on the south end of the lake\/

Woodsrider
08-29-2002, 08:12 PM
this is the small bowl just below the parking lot where we camped.

Woodsrider
08-29-2002, 08:14 PM
sunset:D this is when the fun really gets started;)

Woodsrider
08-29-2002, 08:17 PM
Matt at the top of a dune

Woodsrider
08-29-2002, 08:19 PM
here is a down hill

Woodsrider
08-29-2002, 08:22 PM
East bound @ indian john hill (cleanest rest stop in Washington)

now that is a truck load of fun:devil :D

Woodsrider
08-29-2002, 08:23 PM
oops:o

Porkchop
08-29-2002, 08:47 PM
Looks like you had some fun! Time to load up again and hit the Oregon dunes now ;) :blah :D

Woodsrider
08-29-2002, 09:02 PM
Yea we had a blast. but next time I am giving every one a disposable camera so I can get some pics and still get to ride!
you start having a blast and who wants to stop to take the pics of the fun, nobody.

As far as Oregon, maybe next summer. :D

Oh and before I go back to the desert, I am getting a different seat cover. Desert heat and a gripper seat = bad monkey butt:(

FullBore52
08-29-2002, 10:54 PM
Yea...you really need to hit the oregon dunes....:D

airheadedduner
08-29-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Screamin 'Shee
Yea...you really need to hit the oregon dunes....:D
Where is that?? I don't recognize it.
If we can get enough people together we should try to plan an exriders dune trip for us left coasters.

FullBore52
08-29-2002, 11:45 PM
That is at florence. I think that its usually full of water and there are some off limits signs behind where this pic was taken from...its a big bowl with on open end against a tree island thing...Its not the one with the cool launch pad for racing though...I could find it if i was there, but I cant explain it.

airheadedduner
08-30-2002, 10:12 AM
I think I know where you are talking about. The drop offs in the background threw me off a bit. The hill with the launch pad(comp) is the 3rd tree island. Last time I was there it was nearly unraceable cause it is developing a ridge across the middle of it. Made it real hard to keep the front down:devil

FullBore52
08-30-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
I think I know where you are talking about. The drop offs in the background threw me off a bit. The hill with the launch pad(comp) is the 3rd tree island. Last time I was there it was nearly unraceable cause it is developing a ridge across the middle of it. Made it real hard to keep the front down:devil

Yea...I know what you mean!:p

08-30-2002, 12:21 PM
...Florence is what its all About...

Nice Hill Climbs, Lotta Jumps, Many Go-Fast Areas, and Beach Access ( The Beach Is Kinda Gay, There is a speed Limit..eh).

Sand Lake is Kinda Cool, but it Gets Boring After A little while. Sand Lake Doesnt have alot of what i like. Its manly flat, and the hills are Pretty small, unless your gettin into the Idiot Holes... but there is not much for Jumps at sand lake...

(Picture Of Florence)

QuadJunkies
08-30-2002, 03:00 PM
Yes... Sand is very addicting once you try it...YOU WANT MORE!!:blah I agree,you should go try out the coast,the weather isnt as hot either,and you might give it a try at St. Anthonys.I plan on going to St. A's once or twice a year now, and Im going to the coast next summer to meet a few other EXRIDER girls!anyways, good to heaer you had a good trip...:)

QuadJunkies
08-30-2002, 03:08 PM
Oh, I forot to post this pic, this was from our latest trip to St.A's..hope it works....

Str8Wicked
08-30-2002, 03:32 PM
you guys are making me cry here..... Hope the temp drops 20 degrees in the next couple of weeks....

Glammmmiiiiiiiisssssss~

own2424
08-30-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
you guys are making me cry here..... Hope the temp drops 20 degrees in the next couple of weeks....

Glammmmiiiiiiiisssssss~
Hahaha...I was out there in the 120 degree weather for ONE MONTH! Well, I barely even noticed the heat since I was having so much FUN! As QuadJUnkies said, sand is addicting. Well, I guess it is...All the guys that I camped with told me that I would never want to ride on any other terrain than sand from the first time I stepped foot on sand. And guess what, they were right. Sand is great, way better than trails! I am so LUCKY that I had the opportunity to come all the way to the west coast WITH my quad to ride in the sand dunes! Now I cant wait to go back! :D

own2424
08-30-2002, 07:25 PM
Str8Wicked...
Lemme know how your dune season kicks off!? Get some sweet pics! Good Luck! Have FUN! :cool:

Woodsrider
08-30-2002, 09:43 PM
Well I dont know that I would give up trail riding for the sand all together, but I would have to say I prefer it:D

I wish there was sand closer to the homestead for sure. so I could go more often. My wife aint into ridin' at all. But she lets me go with out her, and you gotta love her for that:D :D

I only have one gripe and it is for Leo....

The stickers dont hold up in the heat and the high speed of the dunes:mad: I lost one....

QuadJunkies
08-31-2002, 12:06 AM
LOL... you sound just like me!:) I am totally addicted to sand now, I cant stand hard pack and its a breeze when it comess to cleainig the ole filter !!And if you wreckin sand(which I have)its alot more forgiving....all this sand talk is depressing me...:( my family and friends are going duning tomorrow, and I have to work:grr

airheadedduner
08-31-2002, 12:48 AM
It still hurts if you crash hard in sand. Crashing in sand seem to be harder on bikes then in dirt cause the bike hits then sticks into the ground which bends stuff. From one crash I bent my axle, both rear wheels, subframe, the stearing steam, nerfbars, footpegs, rear bumper, and my steel whip(and a collorbone). I don't think I would give up riding in the sand for anything. Cause where else are you gonna find such awesome natural doubles and step-ups?!?!

QuadJunkies
08-31-2002, 12:56 AM
AWESOME PIC!!!All I know is when I rolled mine in June,the sand saved my a**!I still ended up with nerve damage in one had from it and bruised me up good, but had I been on hardpack,Id a hurt myself worse..It guess it all depends on how you land too.I knowww what NOT to do from now on:o

airheadedduner
08-31-2002, 01:18 AM
My crash was almost seven weeks ago(will be tuesday) and I still have a pinched nerve in my neck. I can't turn my head to the right and put my left arm back or out at the same time. I am also still getting sharp pains in my shoulder too. I still consider myself lucky. It also broke my chest protector in 2 places and managed to put a crease in the lens of my googles. For some mistical reason the visor on my helmet stayed intacted:huh Funny, the only thing I can do 100% now is ride:D

QuadJunkies
08-31-2002, 10:26 AM
Oh man.. I hope you get to feein better soon:( I hurt for awhile too,i rolled mine twice and once over me,dang those things are heavy!!My hubby broke 3 ribs,torn rotary cup,and cut the tendon on his finger and now its all messed up.you be careful with neck and back injuries and go see the DR. I suffer with both on a daily basis ,I wont get into details, but i wish you a speedy recovery..

08-31-2002, 05:33 PM
IS THIS MULET!!!!!!!! YES, I THINK IT IS!!!:huh

Woodsrider
09-01-2002, 09:06 AM
Haha, that is Jim my freinds older brother. It isnt mullet though, it is wet and slicked back. Hehehe it does look like a mullet though huh?
Ill have to give Jim a hard time about it

09-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Mullets So Rule...:blah There almost as cool as wheelbarrowFreestyle

Str8Wicked
09-04-2002, 12:49 PM
Well guys... Iwa s out in Mexico this weekend parting and decided to take a trip to the dune about 10 miles from where I was staying. A few of my friends were up there so I got about an hour of riding time on one of my friends banchees before I went back to my parting. Damn I wish I would have had my camera int he dunes.... There were some beast out there this past weekend.....

October is almost here so Glamis is calling.... might be taking a trip out to PISMO at the end of Sept.... I'll make sure to take my camera this time.....

airheadedduner
09-04-2002, 03:28 PM
Thanks quadjunkies:p How did your husband crash so hard???

I'll be damned before I let that doctor plate my collorbone. I need to go flyfishing some more, that helps a lot:D

QuadJunkies
09-04-2002, 06:02 PM
Well..... which time???:)he,he, the first time ,he hurt his shoulder on a berm.We were there a wk. before,the hard lesson on "checking out the terrain before you ride...ALWAYS!"well, it had snowed that wk, and then warmed up,that berm was really slicked up underneath a layer of fine dirt,he hit it, and the quad went one way,he went another...then one other time,he came to the top of a hill and there was a rock sticking out he couldnt see,and air born he was!!!That happened on a YZ125 to him 2 wks ago,at the dunes and he broke the clutch in half when he landed and cut his finger ..bone fragments,infection in less than 8 hrs set in,had to have an IV drip,and he cut the tendon leaving him with one gimpy finger.He has bit it numorous times,but these were a few of the more memorable:p

rhandw69
09-05-2002, 05:23 PM
I would have to say that as far as Hill climbs go, you really cant beat Winchester. FLorence is bigger, but If you really want hill climbs, Winchester is the place to be.

FullBore52
09-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by rhandw69
I would have to say that as far as Hill climbs go, you really cant beat Winchester. FLorence is bigger, but If you really want hill climbs, Winchester is the place to be.

Yep.....he is exactly right.