PDA

View Full Version : Trail Tech Vapor

Flyin-Low
09-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Alright, all of you guys with the trail tech vapor on your 450r's... How did you mount the speed sensor?!?

I put mine on the caliper mount just like it shows on their site, put the magnet in place of a rotor bolt, followed the brake line up to the master cylinder with the wire, and hooked it up.

I reset the vapor, then put in my wheel size and everything, took it out for a test drive and EVERYTHING works good, except for the speed-o.

It reads nothing at all.

Please help!!

PS. What are some good settings for shift points and engine heat warning and danger lights?

-Martin

09-08-2006, 12:00 PM
did you try pushing the mode button...mie works just like it should...i didn't really think about setting my shipft and overtemp points because i won't be looking there for those...i use it mainly for distance/top speed and rpm...

Flyin-Low
09-08-2006, 01:10 PM
I tried everything, how is the sensor suppose to be mounted? Mine seems like its too far away from the magnet to work, but its exactly how the picture on their site shows it...

:ermm:

-Martin

09-08-2006, 01:35 PM
the sensor is shaped like your spindle. if you set it against the spindle so it "hugs" it on the botton...and it also needs to be as far back on the spindle as possible...drill your hole there...that should put the magnet right in line with the sensor

i keep getting an error on page when i try and open up the 450r link

Flyin-Low
09-08-2006, 01:41 PM
well, this is how it says to put it on... I tried to imitate this as much as I could but Its not nearly lined up with the magnet...

-Martin

09-08-2006, 01:54 PM
that is how it goes...is that on your right spindle? where the brake caliper mounts?

Flyin-Low
09-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Yes it is, but it doesnt line up like that, im going out now to see what i can do... Maybe my sensor itself is defective?

-Martin

09-08-2006, 02:32 PM
that is a possibility...

HRC_rider
09-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I had similar issues with mine when I installed it but eventually got it to work correctly. The sensor is probably fine. I found that the sensor was too far away when I followed the instructions exactly and I wasn't registering pulses. I put the quad up on a stand, pulled the wheel and played with the magnetic bolt and sensor position until I found something that would work. I think I ended up using a thin washer under the magnetic bolt and I trimmed the sensor bracket with my dremel so that it would fit a bit further back. The sensor bracket is 90 degrees and the spindle surface has some radius so I found as I moved it back to where I wanted it the sensor also moved away from the magnet.

I'll go out to the garage and snap a few pics. Give me 5.

09-08-2006, 03:09 PM
odd, mine fit perfectly...

HRC_rider
09-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
odd, mine fit perfectly...

I don't doubt it, and it should. I didn't actually drill the spindle and install it correctly because after holding it in the right spot (and several others) and spinning the hub with the magnetic bolt all the way in I couldn't register a signal. I didn't want to have to do drill a bunch of holes so I found somewhere that would work and modified things as necessary.

I put a washer under the bolt and cut the sensor bracket to clear the caliper bolt. The magnet doesn't directly pass the sensor but it does reliably register pulses correctly which is all I needed. Make sure there is clearance between the magnet and caliper if you shim it. Here's some dirty pics.

HRC_rider
09-08-2006, 03:30 PM

HRC_rider
09-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Also, ou can test your speed sensor by shaking it back and forth past the magnet to see if you can get a signal. I did. One other tip. The coolant temp. sensor doesn't start to register until around 40C and you might need to reset the computer once to get it to work.

Flyin-Low
09-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Alright, thanks for all the help!

I went out to the shop and messed around with the sensor for a while and finally got it to work.... Sadly i had to re-drill the hole so now i have two 1/8th holes in my caliper mount :mad:

It just wasnt registering the magnet for some reason.... I only had to move it down slightly to get it to work.

This thing is actually quite sensitive!

-Martin

Flyin-Low
09-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Also, HRC_rider.. What did you set your coolant temp warning and danger lights for? And did you set your shift lights?

-Martin