PDA

View Full Version : 2001 raptor 660 idle adjustment problem

zcookie49
09-08-2006, 10:25 AM
I am trying to sell an 01 raptor 660 for a friend of mine. The bike has been sitting and then all of a sudden and ran horrible. I thought that maybe it was out of gas because it ran terrible and then wouldnt start. I peered in the gas tank prior and noticed dirt/debris in the bottom of the tank and it was sucking on reserve petcock. So I figured that there was probably some debris accumulated in the carb. (friend did zero for maintenance). I dont know anything about quads nor do I have an owners manual. I did successfully clean out both carbs and put back together to start. Now it runs good, where it should, but it is idling super high, almost like it would blow up if you left if running.
. I removed the carbs from the bike, but left the throttle and choke cables connected and worked it over top of the bike. I know I twisted it around and such to get underneath the assembly and all.
I have played with the big screw with the spring on it(facing downwards) coming out from the throttle housing and it doesnt do anything. I have taken it all the way in and out. I am assuming this is the idle screw, because I have no owners manual to tell. I have adjust the throttle cables manualy on the lines. How do I take the cover off to find out if the idle has been binded up or what. Any help would be appreciated.

zcookie49
09-08-2006, 05:11 PM
i was able to get the throttle housing off and noticed that where the cable mounts to, a spring loaded throttle guide (unk name) seems to not return all the way down. I lubed it up and the cable real good. If you snap the thumb throttle, it will return, but if you use it slightly, it seems to stick and not return all the way. Any other fix or remedy for this. Is it the throttle cable or more so the lower throttle spring loaded return? thanks for any help.