PDA

View Full Version : LT80 will not start

Poboy
09-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone, I picked up a beat up LT80 at a yard sale for $75 and I'm trying to get it going. I'm getting good spark but I can't get it to fire (sprayed starting fluid in the cylinder) but nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LT80
09-07-2006, 06:47 AM
Welcome to the ATV Riders forums. :)
HMMMM....
Things to be checked.....
Does it have good compression (125+)?
Did you clean the carb?
Is the carb getting gas (pull the hose off the carb, put the petcock on prime and see if gas runs out)?
Is the pipe totally plugged (this happens!)?
We'll go from there. :)

Poboy
09-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, just put the compression tester on it and came up with 40psi :( so I guess that answers my question. Now I just have to decide if its cost effective to rebuild

LT80
09-11-2006, 07:56 AM
A bore,piston kit,and gaskets will be about $100.
Next will be maintencing the clutchs and you could spend $75 in there if there is a bad variator and rollers.
That's about it.
You cannot buy a used LT80 (good runner) for $1000 +-.
I'd say it'd be mighty cost effective! :)

Poboy
09-24-2006, 01:44 PM
OK, back again! I picked up a rebuilt upper and lower end and finnaly got it installed. Still no joy, have spark and compression seems to be getting fuel. I''m stumped, I thought I could at least get it to try to start. I sprayed starting fluid, but still not firing. The only thing I can thing of is that the coil is not producing a hot enough spark. Is that possible?

Thanks

LT80
09-25-2006, 07:53 AM
You had your parts freshened or you bought others?
What's the compression now?
Yes you could be NOT producing enough spark. Sometimes we have to sand the yuck off the stator.