PDA

View Full Version : Best cam...help me please

400flava
09-06-2006, 03:25 PM
alright i know the idea behind new cams and all that and that hot cam stage 1 will give me more excel and bottom and and is stage two more mid-top end or is it all around. I ride an interesting mix i ride some mx tracks, slow trails with the occasanal(sp?) gravel road. i was thinking stage 1 but was wondering how much top end i would loose.

P.S. if it is any help my other engine mods are fmf powerbomb header with titanium 4 silencer k&N filter 15 tooth front sprocket and soon to add cam high compression piston and new valvue springs on rebuild..

Thanks

GPracer2500
09-06-2006, 04:36 PM
If you're adding compression sometime in the near future I'd go with a stage 2.

wilkin250r
09-06-2006, 05:40 PM
A stage 1 cam won't kill your top end. It's true that a stage 1 is a "low-end" cam, but it will still perform just as well as the stock cam in the upper RPMs, it just won't give you a BOOST in the upper revs.

F-16Guy
09-06-2006, 05:56 PM
With the high compression ratio piston and Stage 1 cam, I gained power everywhere. Bottom, mid, and top all saw substantial improvement. Keep in mind that there are other cams out there besides HotCams cams. The XR400R cam is an improvement over stock, the HRC cam is supposed to be awesome, and if money isn't a problem, Web Cams makes some really radical grinds but they require hard-weld rockers (and some also require shortened valve guides). If you're planning on keeping the stock piston, you'll probably want a cam with relatively short duration, such as the HotCams Stage 1. Something you might also consider if you go that route is replacing the stock head gasket with an XR400R head gasket. It's thinner, so it will raise your compression ratio a little to help offset any cylinder pressure lost due to the cam. Personally, I would spend the extra money and throw a piston in it when you do the cam.