PDA

View Full Version : good woods setup

02400exer
09-06-2006, 03:15 PM
im looking for a good motor setup for trail riding i ride a 400ex i need a lot of torque i was thinking a stroker motor is this a good idea i need to run on pump gas

400flava
09-06-2006, 03:29 PM
you could try full pipe, re jetting, hot cams stage 1, high compression piston i believe a 11-1 will still run pump gas not 100% sure though please correct if wrong

dunny_mark
09-06-2006, 03:43 PM
An easy fix for more torque is change your gearing, put a smaller front sproket on--only a suggestion man!!

honda460ex
09-06-2006, 07:47 PM
For the money, I definately wouldn't stroke it... Unless you know how to do it yourself and you get parts at discount costs... Those were the only 2 reasons I stroked my quad, and the fact that I had to replace the crank...lol. But I have to say, it is a torque monster and I love the thing. But I'm also running 13 to 1 compression. My thoughts are bigger bore like 426, 11 to 1 compression, and a stage 1 hotcam if you are just looking for that low end thump.

firefighterjosh
09-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Full Pipe, Airfilter, jeted, TC Cam, Vavles, Springs 416 big bore

02400exer
09-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by honda460ex
For the money, I definately wouldn't stroke it... Unless you know how to do it yourself and you get parts at discount costs... Those were the only 2 reasons I stroked my quad, and the fact that I had to replace the crank...lol. But I have to say, it is a torque monster and I love the thing. But I'm also running 13 to 1 compression. My thoughts are bigger bore like 426, 11 to 1 compression, and a stage 1 hotcam if you are just looking for that low end thump.

where did you get your stroked crank and piston from and do they make it in 11:1 cause im trying to stay on pump gas

02400exer
09-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by honda460ex

where did you get you stroked crank and piston does it come in 11:1 and how much did it run sorry to ask so many questions just trying to get some info on where to buy it from and how much it will run

honda460ex
09-07-2006, 10:21 PM
The crank and rod is made by Hotrods. It is a drop in thing, no machining required. And you can keep your original crank and rod. Somehow they are combined with Hotcams too. If you look in a new Parts Unlimited Catalog, Dennis Kirk maybe, I forgot the other book. I got mine when my brotherinlaw owned his own shop. He sold it off now so I don't get the break which sucks. My piston I have I got off of someone off of here. They had to custom order it. And typicaly when you custom order you have to order 5 or more pistons at like $140 a piece. Hotrods does have a piston that you can run pump gas on. It's a 10.5 to 1 I believe. It's either that or 10 to 1. But book cost on it is like $220 which I thought was nuts. Then the crank at book cost is a pinch over $320 I think. So count on shipping and all being around $600 just for the crank and piston. Then you would need a 440 sleeve, because the piston they make is an 89mm. Honestly, the best combo if you do this and want low end torque, stick with a stage 2 Hotcam. They make a stroker cam which I have and is awesome, but it gives all around stronger power with a lot more on top. I did have the stage 2 before though, and with the stroker it made a ton of torque, but fell off in the top end. Bottom end was wicked nuts though. I could lug it around in 5th gear, barely give it gas, and the thing would pick up and take off just like that. PM me if you haveany more specific questions about it and I'll do my best to help you whatever way I can. Good luck.

81 clark racing
09-08-2006, 05:45 AM
could change your gearing

-copyguy-
09-08-2006, 05:05 PM
I'd start cheap if you're only looking for a woods set up with lots of low end...go down a tooth in the front and you'll be amazed at the difference. If that's still not enough for you, you can go as low as a 13 tooth on a 400ex front.

to me it's $600+ in motor work vs trying a $13 sprocket. I went with the sprocket.

I run a 13 and I still barely get into fourth on trails.