PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding lt80

sjs
09-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Hey,

I'm currently rebuilding a 1994 lt 80 and have a few questions,

What holds on the front sprocket onto the splined shaft?

What is the original lt 80 piston size?

Thanks in advance

Steve

redzoomer
09-06-2006, 02:21 PM
sprocket is held on by a snapring. Not sure about the piston size.. LT80 can tell ya though!

LT80
09-07-2006, 06:43 AM
stock piston is 50mm.
If going bigger, get a zuki piston till you go 1.5 over.

sjs
10-01-2006, 06:51 AM
another quick question, which way does the arrow point on the piston?, towards exhaust or inlet

thanks

redzoomer
10-01-2006, 07:46 AM
exhaust! I found out the hard way!

freundly
10-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Yes, towards the exhaust! & don't have a brainfart like I did, MOST quads the exhaust faces the front....NOT an LT80, arrow towards the BACK!

LT80
10-02-2006, 08:00 AM
hehe!!!
I've had a few come in with these fancy grooves (and some chunks out) by the exhaust port. :D

sjs
10-02-2006, 11:21 AM
sorry folks another stupid question, i'm still rebuilding the 1994 lt80 and i've just stripped the front clutch, firstly it was full of solidified black grease and two of the rollers were facing inwards as if they had turned, is this right?, can i just clean it out and pack it with fresh grease, i've read about a mod you can do by removing some rollers is this right? and what are the benefits, and finally can someone briefly explain how this thing works as my brain aint working tonight, thankyou

steve

LT80
10-03-2006, 08:57 AM
OK, first inspect the front hub (variator/where the rollers sit) for grooves and uneven wear on the roller ramps from the hard grease making the rollers spin. Bad grooves or uneven roller rams and you need a new hub ($40 +/-) If that happened the roller plate is prolly grooved and also needs replaced.
Flat spots on rollers=new rollers.($3-4 each)
DO NOT pack it with grease again. A dab of high temp grease on each roller will do fine (the grease basically holds the rollers in place durring installation.
Leaving 2 rollers out will increase the stall speed slightly (most like it that way).
The rollers were sideways from removal of the clutch. It wasn't running that way.

As the motor revs up, the centrifical force forces the rollers out which makes the hub travel on the bushing.
I'm terrible at explaining. :) Hope that helps. :D

sjs
10-03-2006, 09:17 AM
LT80 you are a legend, do i need to remove opposite rollers or any two, can you explain what you mean by stall speed:huh sorry.

Thanks again

LT80
10-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks. :)
Yes remove opposite rollers.
Stall:: A lower stall makes the machine move at a lower engine rpm. A higher stall means that a engine will have more rpm's before the machine moves.
Sorry?? No need! The only stupid question is the one that is not asked.
Have a great day. :D

sjs
10-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Thankyou LT80 much appreciated :D

Steve

sjs
10-04-2006, 11:18 AM
starting to wish i had bought a workshop manual, anyway here comes another easy question, on the carb slide there is a little washer with a hole in the middle and two notches out of either side, where abouts on the slide does this go top or bottom and does the throttle cable fit onto it?

Thanks

LT80
10-05-2006, 07:56 AM
The lil washer goes above the slide and under the spring. It holds the cable in position.
ei: you pull the spring back, put the cable in the slide, then the washer. The cable goes thru the one slot. Let go of the spring, Viola! hehe