PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Tecate 4 250

sonorarider
09-06-2006, 10:27 AM
someone please help me out finding it difficult to find aftermarket parts for my recent handown of a quad, motor is strong kicks over, i just need help with spacers to widened the quad, only flaw i see in the quad, hopefully someone can send in the right direction ciao...

Titanium
09-06-2006, 12:08 PM
wrong forum

Predator96
09-07-2006, 10:41 AM
wrong year, only 87 and 88

sonorarider
09-08-2006, 12:37 AM
well then 88 ups we all make some mistakes and as far as forums are concerned i though we where all kawi aficionados but obviously i am mistaken, because there are no tecate 4 forums, the ignorance of some people amuzes me lol

bradley300
09-08-2006, 06:11 AM
technicly, this would go in the "other " forum

its going to be hard to find anything for that quad, since they were only made for 2 years, there wasnt alot made for them. your best bet is you just call dura blue, i think they are the only ones who even make wheel spacers. or if you have a dealership that you have a decent relationship with, ask them to find some for you

jthunder31
09-09-2006, 10:34 AM
I run a shop in WI. I once owned and raced the Tecate-4 at the beginning of my career! It was always a weird little machine. ATV SPORT this month has a feature article about the old T-4 with Jimmy White (an old hero), and Jimmy goes on to outline what I already knew-this machine is extremely hard to set up for competitive racing.

At his level in 1987, Jimmy White went from the front of the pack on a Quadracer to the back when he recieved his Kawasaki "factory ride". Jimmy did always like the TECATE 3 wheelers!

I guess I don't feel bad about running mid-pack in MX, TT and short track locallly as a 15-year old! The motor screamed, but she had some handling issues! :macho

Life changed or the better when I got on board a 250R!

Back to your questions. I can get most parts (Chassis, motor, etc...) to "restore" this thing. You just have to remember what you have and what to expect out of your investment.

The TECATE-4 is something you keep in the back of your garage as a "conversation piece". My old one did just that at the local HONDA dealer in a deep, dark warehouse, and lots of conversations started with "You know, some crazy SOB actually RACED that thing!"

GOOD TIMES!
:devil:

jthunder31
09-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Herrmann racing offers a-arms and swingarms. An axle can be (or at least used to be) found through LSR or Dura Blue.

I can see Nacho Libre wheeling around on one down there!;)

sonorarider
09-09-2006, 03:06 PM
thanks for the help guys, my intentions are not to spend much usdollars on this thing, i just want to improve the handling via wheel spacers, and that is it no pipe or porting just a fun recreational atv to have, as a handmedown i cannot get to picky, i already own a 89 shee, this quad will be for the wife to trash lol take care and keep on riding...

jonboy
09-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Hey you should check out The Tecate Connection
www.tecateconnection.comwww.tecateconnection.com (http://)
One of these should work. They have tons of stuff for Tecates even an online store. I'm sure someone there will direct you where you need to go. Oh and by the way DONT just put it in the back of you garage, they where meant to ride the tires off of them:devil: I have a 3&4 and still love to ride them. Yeah they are collectors items IMO so hang on to it. Hope you enjoy it:D :cool:

sonorarider
09-09-2006, 03:12 PM
appreciate the advice will go ahead and check out tecateconnections...

jthunder31
09-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Cool!
The TECATE CONNECTION is pretty sweet!
:cool:

jonboy
09-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Here is another site to check.

http://cycleworksracing.net/

sonorarider
09-10-2006, 08:33 PM
sweet im sure ill find something that might come handy, ill be keeping the tecate in good shape...

tat2mike
09-11-2006, 04:33 PM
i raced tecates alot of people trash talk them some are right they arent the best handling bike i kinda compare the frames to a banshee im on a 250r now so there you go lol but they are fun as hell and the motors were work horses they definitely held there own on the race track greg at cycleworks knows his stuff he did alot of tecate stuff for me i also think they were cool looking machines kinda like a grasshopper on steroids haha

you know i wish 250rs lt250s and tec4s were still on the racetrack today the 80s rule but im just an old man rambling :D :cool:

Predator96
09-12-2006, 10:36 AM
I believe it is a 4x156 bolt pattern on the rear. Which is the same as the majove and the 2003 only polaris predator.

400exrider707
09-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Just FYI, wheel spacers are not going to make your quad handle better. They make it handle worse. They will offer more tipping resistance, but they also add stress to major components like your balljoints and tie rods. Generally not a good idea if you are at least a moderately skilled rider, but hey its your quad.

diesel-mech
10-14-2006, 09:13 PM
I ride a tecate 4 and its a freakin blast. I'm planning some suspension upgrades but power wise they are tough to beat. Mine dynoed at 46 rwhp. Its a SR300bb, billet head, 39mm carb, mossbarger reeds (they gotta go), power pros pipe... The list goes on and on. In anycase the only quad I have ever ridin that had more gut wrenching power was another tecate.
I have never had problems getting any parts for mine, you can still get a lot of parts from the dealer, there are plenty of web sites you can gp to and a lot of other owners, including myself, have designed after market parts for them. You can get almost any after market part for the tecate if you know where to look.

juanki
10-19-2006, 06:43 PM
te mande un mp.

jonboy
10-25-2006, 12:39 PM
What is that in english?

Tecate250
12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
I had 2 of them.
And Ill tell you throw away the motor. Its junk. I had about 3 grand invested in rebuilding my tecate 4 motor and rear shock. I never had a running 2 stroke and I babied it. Then it leaked coolant like a siv.(not a major problem) Then the tranny locked up and split my crank cases. after about 3 lightly ridden months. There a beautyful bike but put a 500 in there instead, and get rid of that ***** counter balancer.
Now I ride the second ultimate tecate. A Three wheeler 85 model.
Never had a single problem with it. And have been riding it for years

fastrnrik
01-01-2007, 08:31 PM
try www.kawieriders.com. They have a forum on there just for Tecate's, and there are some pretty sharp and helpful guys on there.

I've just recently purchased a Tecate with a KX500 motor in it. It is FAST "fo sho". It's in the shop now getting set up for the flat track.

Tecate250
01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Anyone else on here own a tecate 3 wheeler?

snox31
01-18-2007, 07:36 PM
i used to have a 85 three wheeler and then a 87 tecate 4 both were crazy fast.mostly the old 85 that thing was sick.most people that tried to ride it always were over on thier back.and they rode also mostly 350x's they would be pinned and i could still ride a wheelie past them ,it drove them nuts.I wish i still had them but needed some cash when i was a kid.

Tecate250
01-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Cool. I love the tecate 3 wheelers. I want an 86-87 badly.