PDA

View Full Version : I'M KILLIN MY REAR END... common problem?

redrizza
09-06-2006, 04:12 AM
I have a ls swingarm, elka linkage and have worked close with elka on making a shock that works for me. I have a special spring setup(single rate 8" spring I think) and valving supposedly unheard of. Thankfully I live close to factory so it makes it easier and cheaper to get it hooked up. I seem to be able to kill any rear end on my honda's no matter what so far. Rip swingarms appart. Bottom out bumpers go to **** fast... Had to lift airbox to stop breaking them. Anyone had the same problem and then found a rear end setup that could take everything they throw at it? Buddy has Walsh/Elka rear end and although it seems better on certain parts of the track I don't think it's much better if any better at all.....HELP :confused:

I'm 185lbs... or 200lb rider weight. Front end handles it pretty well for the most part.

I'll save the front end, overheat, frame, pegs, and plastic problems for another thread :(

pudamac12
09-06-2006, 04:17 AM
i have motowoz setup on my rear ends of both quads and never have any problems and one has a factory swingarm. try having someone other then elka valve your shock for you and you might be better off

Ex_Rider43
09-06-2006, 09:28 AM
I have a walsh/elka rear and my friend have a dual link with elka shock and also a RP evolution swingarm. He WAY smoother than mine. In fact my GT thunder stock revalve and link works better so elka is WAY off with their POS shock.

bwamos
09-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Sounds like you're getting the rear end valved too lightly. You shouldn't be bottoming out that hard, that often.

Bottom out 1-2 times a lap, but only a soft bottom. If you're hitting harshly, you need to get revalved/resprung properly.

jkirk141
09-06-2006, 12:58 PM
maybe you should work on getting smoother;)

tltcracing
09-06-2006, 02:11 PM
i think it is too lightly dampned. a botom out bumper should last at least 6 months if your out there racing every weekend. your prob is that you are wanting the shock to be too soft over the rough stuff and it kills you where you need the stiffer dampning. ELKA does not make junk but they are not the best valvers. i would just try sending the shock off to GT or someone similar. dont tell them the troubles you have had with the valving but rather just let them send you the way it would normaly be from them and see how that feels. some tracks are just so rough that you cant smooth them out and i think thats what you are trying to do, run such a soft dampning that it becomes soft but then it will kill you on the jumps.