PDA

View Full Version : best economical build up?

full foot notch
09-05-2006, 08:29 PM
hi, new to this site, right now have a 87 TRX 250x that i picked up for 750 from my stepfather, rode it as a teenager and it has sat on and off for a few years till it just sat recently for about two years and now i am getting it running again, new petcock, carb rebuilt by local dealer and putting on KN filter, most likely an exhaust and some handle bars, grab bars and nerf bars, some stuff to make it comfortable to ride on

well now that i have the ATV bug again, i was wondering what would be a good second ATV to get to really make a fast 4 wheeler, most likely on street or flat land. the quad would not have to be the biggest baddest out there, but something with a good top end and acceleration, no jumping for this one, but not quite a full drag quad like i have seen before. something that is a good economical build up of parts and cams and possibly stroker kits , i would like to keep total money invested at $3500 but im guessing that is not going to accomplish much or will it , the models i have seen are 250r, 250x, 300x,400x and banshee that can make some good economical power

appologize if it is posted in the wrong forum

thanks

Toadz400
09-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Sounds like you want either the 250R or Banshee. It's cheap to build up a 2-stroke, but it gets a little more expensive with the Banshee because there is twice as much for the engine and exhaust.

Try finding one of those two and you'll be set. They are very easy to work on and the power gains are awesome with simple modifications.

full foot notch
09-06-2006, 09:47 AM
what would be the price range for the 250r and banshee to pick up , cause i would figure those two would bring a pretty penny because of thier past in racing and speed

and is there any 4strokes that would be good to economically build up or am i going to get more power/speed out of the 2 strokes due to a higher RPM level?

hks308
09-06-2006, 10:14 AM
yamaha yzf450. honda 400ex. 4 strokes

F-16Guy
09-06-2006, 12:25 PM
If you're looking for something that's pretty fast, but dirt cheap to build and maintain, I would go with a 400ex or a 250r. Both of these are hugely popular, have an enormous amount of OEM and aftermarket parts available, and are very reliable. It all depends on what kind of power output you want and the kind of riding you do. If you like to putt around about as much as you like to go fast, or you do a lot of tight woods-type riding, I would go with the 4-stroke. If you like to ride hard, or do a lot of riding in open areas or dunes, I would probably go with the 2-stroke. If you want something with more horsepower potential, you definitely want the 250r. It is almost always easier and cheaper to squeeze more power out of a 2-stroke. You can pick up either quad used and in decent condition for right around your price range, so it all boils down to your preferences.

Toadz400
09-06-2006, 12:52 PM
250R's, 400EX's, and Banshee's are all going for extremely cheap now ever since the 450's came out. If you're looking for a cheap 4-stroke, go with the 400EX. If you want all-out arm-ripping power, go with the Banshee or 250R.

rockman
09-08-2006, 04:02 PM
ive got just the quad for you.. my 250R is for sale!!!

rooster300ex
09-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
250R's, 400EX's, and Banshee's are all going for extremely cheap now ever since the 450's came out. If you're looking for a cheap 4-stroke, go with the 400EX. If you want all-out arm-ripping power, go with the Banshee or 250R.

I believe my buddies 85 atc250r is what made my arms so big and strong. :D

Kansas400ex
09-09-2006, 02:50 PM
defientaly go with a 2 stroke. 4 strokes have more parts and the part cost more. a 250r or a banshee are very good quads and their fairly easy to modify. theres also a large amount of aftermarket parts for them. have you considered a suzuki LTR250r there a 250 2 stroker lots of parts for them not as popular and the honda 250r. u can usually pick one up cheaper than a honda 250r. or how bout LTR500. there a 500 2 stroke extremely fast even when stock. i think that could be great for you.

2muchquad
09-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Go with a banshee if you want all out accelleration.A banshee with a set of pipes is all you need,they are reliable as a hammer when they are left almost stock,its when you start modding them too much that they start breaking often.I am pro honda but the banshees do scream though and they can be had pretty cheap though,even less than a 20yr old 250r.;)

Toadz400
09-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
Go with a banshee if you want all out accelleration.A banshee with a set of pipes is all you need,they are reliable as a hammer when they are left almost stock,its when you start modding them too much that they start breaking often.I am pro honda but the banshees do scream though and they can be had pretty cheap though,even less than a 20yr old 250r.;)

A highly modified Banshee that is done right will be just reliable as any other highly modified machine. It's all about how the person takes care of it and how it's built. Never take the cheap route when it comes to engines, do everything right the first time and you're likely not to have as many problems.

krt400ex
09-11-2006, 04:40 PM
a banshee or 250r is the best route for reliable, cheap, easy to maintain power. end of story. i would stay awayfrom the suzuki, they r not as reliable and the aluminum swinger on the 250 in known for cracking.