PDA

View Full Version : Busted aliminum airbox

400exmkt
09-05-2006, 07:12 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-400EX-ALUMINUM-AIR-BOX-RACING-AIRBOX-ATV_W0QQitemZ290025962279QQihZ019QQcategoryZ43972Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohost ing

Part # -290025962279

Anybody have any experience with these boxes. I have one and this weekend i smashed it on my caliper and my battery went flying across the track. Broke every weld on this thing.

I just wanted to know if i am the only one that has had this bad experience with them. After it busted i got to looking at the welds on this thing and on the outside they are perfectbut when they busted you can tell they didnt get any penetration at all. It looks like they sodered it together. I was really happy with this airbox until this happened. I have hit harder jumps than what broke it.

BigFish
09-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Yea, I'm in the same boat. Alot of the welds cracked on mine, never had the caliper hit though. Like u said the welds just didn't penetrate all the way through. Oh well, I just p/ced mine black and u cain't the cracks anymore. I don't run the battery in mine though, too big of a biatch to clean the uni...

johnsls
09-26-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm glad I read this!

I just made a deal with the guy for the Air Box & Outerwear box cover for $105 shipped.

Good deal but NOT if its a piece of crap!!! :grr:

400exmkt
09-27-2006, 04:39 PM
I just had the welders at our shop weld it back together. I talked to the guy and he said that he was working on a different style of box. This isnt the first time it has happened. He was real cool about it. He said that he would sell me another new style one at a discount. I think that he should just give me one though.

Since i welded it back it ended up warping it a little. Just enough that it wont hit the caliper agine.

Franky G
09-28-2006, 03:04 AM
I heard nothing but good thing about UM airbox's I have on my bike and it never cracked our hit the caliper and I race MX :D

RBHonda400ex
09-28-2006, 10:33 AM
Sorry to say it but if that is the one you bought it is a knock off of the UM Aluminum Air Boxes, it also cost about half as much so i guess you got what you paid for. Sorry for your luck.

BOOYARIDER
01-01-2007, 06:12 PM
i have two insane prformance air boxes. one for a 400ex and one for the z400. i did have one small problem with th 400ex air box after some hard riding and severe jumps. i called them up and sent the air box back to them. they fixed it right up and sent it back. no problem. i did not have any caliper issues with mine. i am pretty happy with what i have.

QuadJunkies
01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by RBHonda400ex
Sorry to say it but if that is the one you bought it is a knock off of the UM Aluminum Air Boxes, it also cost about half as much so i guess you got what you paid for. Sorry for your luck.

Im actually very happy with mine :)
I do feel I got what I paid for-which doesnt seem to happen alot lately! :o :p
sorry to hear of the issues,seems like what works for one, doesnt always work out for another.
I think if the companies knows there is issues, they have NO BUSINESS selling the product AT ALL until its perfected.And if they cont. to sell it, they should have to will call the part and repair it.
Seems like the right thing to do :ermm:

hondaracer57
01-01-2007, 09:49 PM
it shouldnt hit the caliper sounds like u have a bent sub-frame

QuadJunkies
01-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I had a BIG dent in my Pipe from my caliper,but it turned out I had a blown rear shock :ermm: