PDA

View Full Version : mx vs. xc

300ex03_619
09-05-2006, 06:38 PM
i am choosing between MX and GNCC, i am wondering, which ones harder on the machine?

Scro
09-05-2006, 06:41 PM
It really depends on what you mean by hard. MX is harder on the frame and suspension components of the quad, just because you are flying through the air. XC is harder on the motor because of the fact that it is being ran hard for 2+ hours.

But, if ride fast enough, they are both equally hard on the quad.

suck my pipe
09-05-2006, 07:21 PM
XC, if youve ever been to a XC race, I mean common look how many quads have to be drug from the woods. lol You gotta figure your beating the hole machine. As said your runnin the balls off your motor then your flying over all kind of tress rocks thats beat'n the suspension, and you gotta watch for trees. Plus sometimes you have water which is hard on bearings. Then the tires get chewed up. and hope you dont roll down a hill climb. MX is cool and i understand it's hard but an XC race is a test of man and machine.

Phills450r
09-05-2006, 09:26 PM
i think xc would probably be a little harder.. not motor wise either because when i see some people ride mx they are killing their motors... but i prefer mx cause its on an open course and it just seems alot funner then "trail riding"

trx400exxracer
09-05-2006, 09:30 PM
both are equal to me!!!

DieselBoy
09-05-2006, 09:32 PM
good question. they both take a beating

honduh440
09-05-2006, 09:38 PM
seems like xc is common sence....

firefighterjosh
09-05-2006, 09:48 PM
XC would prally be harder on your quad, and the rider. But don't let that make you decide what to race. MX racers are wimpier:p

deathman53
09-05-2006, 09:55 PM
both are pretty hard, but xc is harder on the rider by alot, 20 minutes on the mx track compared to 2+ hours through the woods, both will kill the bike equal. Going fullbore 2+ hours over hills, trees, streams and then you are dealing with passing slower riders in limited passing areas,it just seams that xc is harder. I have done extended trail rides w/o problem, but going fullbore the whole time is very tough. Also another thing to consider is that mx is more predicable, in xc the course could change greatly between laps. There is a reason why xc bikes tend to have baja style frames, while mx tend to have lighter duty frames(not near as light as tt)

Phills450r
09-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
MX racers are wimpier:p

dought it

firefighterjosh
09-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Phills450r
dought it

It was a joke....

Alot of XC racers praticce MX.....So I don't know who would win. They should have a series were you can only have one quad and 1 setup. You can't change parts for diffrenct tracks . The series would be half the season would be XC and half would be MX. My guess is that a XC racer would win.

09-06-2006, 05:38 AM
Done wrong, MX would be more brutal. Case a jump and have your body smack into a jump face? ....ouch.

Done right, XC is more brutal.

jb500ex
09-06-2006, 09:13 AM
xc is harder on the machine, you can run a perfect race and your quad will be totally trashed

400exrules
09-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by suck my pipe
XC, if youve ever been to a XC race, I mean common look how many quads have to be drug from the woods. lol You gotta figure your beating the hole machine. As said your runnin the balls off your motor then your flying over all kind of tress rocks thats beat'n the suspension, and you gotta watch for trees. Plus sometimes you have water which is hard on bearings. Then the tires get chewed up. and hope you dont roll down a hill climb. MX is cool and i understand it's hard but an XC race is a test of man and machine.

i agree 100%

if you think xc racing is easy......then you obviously havent RACED xc, you simple rode trails. their is a huge difference

Nick110
09-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Have the guys that are saying that MX is easier, have you ever raced MX before?

I dont want to start a flame fest here but you XC guys are not giving us MX guys any credit. If you dont think goin balls out for 20min on an MX course is hard then you might want to try it. Going 10 min balls out on a MX course is hard.

A perfect example is Unadilla MX this year. The track was brutal, it was basically one big whoop section, some sections as gnarly as you XC guys see things.

Granted both types of racing are different they both are equally tough in their own ways. Both top level riders have to be in tip top shape to do them.

FoxRacing81
09-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Harder on Machine? Definalty XC. As far as motor, it depends. Most of the time, racers are WFO in MX. Where as XC, you aren't always wide open, but you are riding a lot longer with no breaks.

Harder to race? Depends. I'd say MX because not everyone has what it takes to hit some huge jumps and fly through a section of whoops tapped out...not taking anything away from XC though. You still gotta have some to fly through the woods....

But lemme say this, in my opinion, it'd be easier to start off slow in XC and work your way up to being really fast in a few years, where as in MX, there are a lot of things you can work on, but for most things in MX, it's just a matter of stepping up and going for something.

I hope that sorta made sense.

If your choosing which to race, I'd chose MX. Funner, in my opinion, overall easier on your machine, cost less to set up your quad...(well, you can race XC stock, but if I were going to, I'd definatley want a lot of quad protection stuff on mine).

:macho

suck my pipe
09-06-2006, 03:41 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=252966

XC LOL

firefighterjosh
09-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
If you dont think goin balls out for 20min on an MX course is hard then you might want to try it. Going 10 min balls out on a MX course is hard.

Try going balls out for 2 hours:p

XC is harder on machine and rider. Metaly and physicaly. You go 2 hours through tight trees jumps, mud trying to pick the right lines. The good thing about XC is that you can slow your pace if needed. But most don't.

MX is hard because your hitting jumps going 60 feet trying to control a 400lbs quad in the air, hitting woops. Also you gotta stay consistent when tired. You can not back off on a 40 foot dbl even if you have terrible arm pump.

I would say damaging wise XC is harder. Physicaly wise XC is harder. Meataly wise there equal.

BOTH ard hard don't get me wrong.

jb500ex
09-06-2006, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FoxRacing81
[B]Harder on Machine? Definalty XC. As far as motor, it depends. Most of the time, racers are WFO in MX. Where as XC, you aren't always wide open, but you are riding a lot longer with no breaks.

Harder to race? Depends. I'd say MX because not everyone has what it takes to hit some huge jumps and fly through a section of whoops tapped out...not taking anything away from XC though. You still gotta have some to fly through the woods....

But lemme say this, in my opinion, it'd be easier to start off slow in XC and work your way up to being really fast in a few years, where as in MX, there are a lot of things you can work on, but for most things in MX, it's just a matter of stepping up and going for something.

I hope that sorta made sense.

If your choosing which to race, I'd chose MX. Funner, in my opinion, overall easier on your machine, cost less to set up your quad...(well, you can race XC stock, but if I were going to, I'd definatley want a lot of quad protection stuff on mine).

good post i agree with alot of it, on the motor thing mx motor's are usually built up alot more and xc motor's are built too last. that being said im about too rebuild my 3rd motor in a year from the crank up, all related too damage done while racing, hole in the side cover, dirt and water getting in and wreaking havoc etc