PDA

View Full Version : Throttle too stiff....suspension the same

MisterEX
09-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Hello all, I've been riding my EX for a few years...not many mods other than a bumper, K&N filter, slip on muffler and nerf bars. I wanted to ask you people what is up with the stock suspension on this quad. Its way too stiff and doesn't have nice damping over bumps at all. I am comparing this to my friends Banshee....I hate to say it the Banshee F'in floats over bumps....my EX...I can feel every pebble under me....whats up with that? I weigh about 150lbs....am I too light for this thing? Not for the Banshee....the suspension on that feels so good and I'm WAY faster on it...and not because of the engine. No I dont want a Banshee. I want my EX to go over obstacles like the Banshee

Next the thumb throttle is too stiff. Is there a workaround for this? After a few hours my thumb is beat...and no Im not a P#@@y either so dont go there. I would love an easier throttle return spring....Any ideas? Anyway looking forward to your responses.

krt400ex
09-05-2006, 01:59 PM
apparently ur suspension is shot. my quad is too soft for me and i weigh like 165-170.i would get new shocks because the ex suspension is much more supple then any stock shocked banshee. as for ur throttle, a new cable should do the trick. u could try lubing the cable first to see if that helps, but a new cable is only $10 so that is what i would do.

exrider008
09-05-2006, 02:00 PM
the bashee shocks r way stiffer then the 400ex. did u try to adjust them? IMO the 400ex has close to the best shocks for trail riding.

about the thumb throttle my old 300ex did the same thing...i couldnt ride it for more then 20 min and my thumb would hert like hell. all it did was take a little WD40 and spray it down the cable.

underpowered
09-05-2006, 02:16 PM
for the shocks, try adjusting the preload on them.

for teh throttle try lubing the calbe or repaling it. if it si still stiff, get a TRX90 throttle assembly and put it on. the throttle lever is longer and has more leverage so it will seem easier.

MisterEX
09-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the responses so far.....and so fast too.

Anyway....my shocks are "shot"?....uh no way. This bike has very low hours on it. Also shocks that are bad have no damping and act like pogo sticks....not happening here. Theyre the opposite of this. The preload is on the softest setting in the front. I'll try taking this beast apart and greasing everything, I'm hoping that that will help.

I'm going to lube my cable and possibly mod the return spring on the carb....should be super easy after reading some other posts on the subject.

400exstud
09-05-2006, 06:46 PM
The harder you ride it the softer the shocks will feel because you will hit things harder. If that doesn't work pick up a set of Elka recs for $465.

400ex124
09-05-2006, 06:57 PM
are u shur ur shocks are the softest they'll go and not the hardest they go, cuz my buddy had that problem so i went to check them out and thats what his prolem was, just try settin them just the opposite of how they are now and see what happends.

MisterEX
09-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of checking my shocks....but its a little obvious that they are at the softest settings. I've been a mechanic for over 20 years. I think it might be my light weight thats the prob.....The suggestion to get some Elkas is probably more in tune whith what needs to be done. More adjustability I think is the key here