View Full Version : Billy lane hurt in fatal crash. :(

250ex13
09-05-2006, 12:51 PM
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pb...NGNEWS/60905003

Chopper builder hurt in fatal crash

Billy Lane's truck, motorcycle collide on A1A near Melbourne Beach

BY J.D. GALLOP
FLORIDA TODAY

Local motorcycle shop owner Billy Lane, who has appeared on the Discovery Channel's "Biker Build-Off" and "Monster Garage," was injured in a Labor Day traffic accident that left a motorcyclist dead.

The 9 p.m. accident involving the 36-year-old Lane, the owner of the Melbourne-based Choppers Inc. and a resident of Melbourne Beach, occurred on State Road A1A south of Melbourne Beach near the intersection of Ballyshannon Street

Florida Highway Patrol investigators said Lane was trying to pass two other vehicles on A1A when his southbound 2006 Dodge Ram pickup collided with a northbound 1983 Yamaha motorcycle.

The motorcyclist, identified as 56-year-old Melbourne Beach resident Gerald Morelock, was wearing a helmet. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

“Lane hit the motorcycle head on, and then the pickup hit a power pole,” said Kim Miller, spokeswoman for the Florida Highway Patrol.

Miller said a passenger in the pickup, identified as 22-year-old Erin Derrick of Rockledge, was also injured in the crash. Lane and Derrick were transported to Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne but their medical conditions were not immediately available this morning.

Lane, who was semi-conscious at the accident scene, is known for his work building custom-made motorcycles.

Florida Highway Patrol traffic homicide investigators said no charges were filed, but added they were waiting on the results of blood-alcohol tests, which will be available in six to eight weeks.

Employees contacted at Lane’s chopper shop this morning would not comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact J.D. Gallop at 321-242-3668 or jdgallop@flatoday.net

Billy Lane. The Melbourne Beach resident was injured in a crash on Labor Day. FLORIDA TODAY file:(

derekhonda
09-05-2006, 12:59 PM
You would think someone who's life revolved around motorcycles would be more careful than that. Damn what a shame....

Save a life, be aware....motorcycles are everywhere.

Mxjunkie
09-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Not good at all :(

ny300exrider
09-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
You would think someone who's life revolved around motorcycles would be more careful than that. Damn what a shame....

Save a life, be aware....motorcycles are everywhere.
i agree...obviously the details aren't too clear yet, but passing two vehicles with northbound traffic coming towards you doesn't seem too smart, especially from someone so involved in the motorcycle scene.

krt400ex
09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
i agree...obviously the details aren't too clear yet, but passing two vehicles with northbound traffic coming towards you doesn't seem too smart, especially from someone so involved in the motorcycle scene.

x2

bwamos
09-05-2006, 01:29 PM
He passed on a double yellow.
Odds are he never saw him coming until it was way too late.
There's a reason they're there.

fandl450r
09-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Yea stuff like this happens way too often, just the other day, no joke guy passed 5 cars, with oncoming traffic in sight, on a double yellow. I guess some people just can't be 5 minutes late.

tim colston
09-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider

Why don't you stop making assumptions and wait for the facts to come out. I am sure there is more to the story. I love when people hear about something and blow it out of proportion. How many times have you sped or passed when you shouldn't have? I hope he wasn't drinking or this could be a mess.

derekhonda
09-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by tim colston
Why don't you stop making assumptions and wait for the facts to come out. I am sure there is more to the story. I love when people hear about something and blow it out of proportion. How many times have you sped or passed when you shouldn't have? I hope he wasn't drinking or this could be a mess.

Umm, what assumptions? Billy crossed into another persons lane. Who was supposed to be there regardless of a double yellow or not?

sly400ex
09-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Exactly....I ride motorcyles and would like to give Billy the benefit of the doubt, but if he crossed a double yellow, that means NO PASSING. If you pass others like that, you too are an idiot!

sakirocket28
09-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Looks like he probably wont be getting quite the crowd appreciation and love at bike rallys after something like this.

FMF450R
09-05-2006, 04:05 PM
you guys got me at "passing (2) vehicles with a TRUCK"

-not too bright! :blah:

krt400ex
09-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by FMF450R

that isn't much different than a van, unless it's not a pickup

CannondaleRider
09-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by FMF450R

How's it any different from passing in anything else.

Have you driven any new trucks? It was most likely faster then most common civilian vehicles, especially if it was a Cummins.

No different from some ricer civic or some bull***** trying to pass.

tim colston
09-06-2006, 06:04 AM
Umm, what assumptions? Billy crossed into another persons lane. Who was supposed to be there regardless of a double yellow or not?

I am not saying that he didn't fack up it. I am sure he didn't set out that day to do that. All I am saying is there is more to the story. You have a tendency (sp) to jump anyones *** if they don't agree with you.

derekhonda
09-06-2006, 11:19 AM
I am not saying that he didn't fack up it. I am sure he didn't set out that day to do that. All I am saying is there is more to the story. You have a tendency (sp) to jump anyones *** if they don't agree with you.

I agree, im sure it was unintentional but everyone keeps trying to defend him because hes their motorcycle hero instead of just admitting that mistakes were made.

MOFO
09-06-2006, 12:03 PM
All I am saying is there is more to the story. You have a tendency (sp) to jump anyones *** if they don't agree with you.

Yea, how about drinking and driving. I've read a few articles that make it sound like he was drunk. Lets wait for the blood test results. :rolleyes:

Regardless, he broke the law. You are not suppose to cross double yellow lines.

450RGNCC
09-06-2006, 12:12 PM
I have heard a few stories about this guy doing stupid things and trying to show off, I just hope that this was not one of those situations, since he killed someone.

tim colston
09-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I agree, im sure it was unintentional but everyone keeps trying to defend him because hes their motorcycle hero instead of just admitting that mistakes were made.

I agree Derek. Good point.

tim colston
09-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Yea, how about drinking and driving. I've read a few articles that make it sound like he was drunk. Lets wait for the blood test results. :rolleyes:

Regardless, he broke the law. You are not suppose to cross double yellow lines.

I hope he wasn't drinking that could be a huge blow to his business and the motorcycle community. Either way it is a terrible loss of another motorcyclist.:(

polcat1p
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
6-8 weeks for the blood work tests:confused: If it was me, they would have them in a few hours.

sly400ex
09-07-2006, 09:12 AM
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

It's not looking good for him, I read in another article that he was charged with DUI a few months ago.:ermm:

F-16Guy
09-07-2006, 10:33 AM
I hope he wasn't drinking that could be a huge blow to his business and the motorcycle community. Either way it is a terrible loss of another motorcyclist.:(
If he was drinking, passed in a no passing zone, and killed someone, he won't have to worry about his business; he'll be going to prison for a long time. Hopefully it was nothing more than poor judgement, but I've met lots of guys with the "I'm a bad-*** biker guy" mentality, and it seems like they don't think the law applies to them.

tim colston
09-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
If he was drinking, passed in a no passing zone, and killed someone, he won't have to worry about his business; he'll be going to prison for a long time. Hopefully it was nothing more than poor judgement, but I've met lots of guys with the "I'm a bad-*** biker guy" mentality, and it seems like they don't think the law applies to them.

Unfortunatly you are right

TheFontMaster
09-07-2006, 09:17 PM
This sucks to hear. I met Billy a couple months ago when he was on the way up to the Laconia bike week, and he is a very down to eath guy. I hope his reputation isn't hurt too bad by this, but if he was drinking and driving, then I hate to say it, but he deserves whatever punishment he gets. :(

krt400ex
09-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
This sucks to hear. I met Billy a couple months ago when he was on the way up to the Laconia bike week, and he is a very down to eath guy. I hope his reputation isn't hurt too bad by this, but if he was drinking and driving, then I hate to say it, but he deserves whatever punishment he gets. :(

agreed^^^^^^