PDA

View Full Version : 300EX Clutch Question

TJCamro
09-05-2006, 10:44 AM
I have a 2002 300EX, and right now I am having a hard time getting it into neutral when stopped with the motor running. When its shut off it goes into neautral no problem. Any clues to what I should do?

bwamos
09-05-2006, 11:15 AM
The 300 can be finiky at times.. but main thing is to make sure you're clutch cable is adjsuted properly. You should only have a small amount of slack before the lever pulls on the cable. Like 1/8" maximum.

You may not be fully disengaging the clutch...

rooster300ex
09-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Rev the engine while your tryin to put it in neutral. It makes mine slip right into neutral.

Dr89
09-05-2006, 01:01 PM
yea there prolly isnt anything actually wrong with yr clutch, im guessing maybe yr new to a manual clutch?? but yea like rooster said just rev it up a little and since yr sittin still you may have to rock it back and forth a bit to get the gears to click, most quads will do that to ya from time to time.

rooster300ex
09-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Yea sometimes I gotta rock mine alil while i'm revving it. And check for any play at the clutch lever. If there is pull back that rubber cover and loosen the locknut and twist it out. Lock the locknut back with some pliers and your done.

04exrdr
09-05-2006, 06:41 PM
no....i thinks it cuz of sumthin else.....cuz i hav mine adjusted 2 and im not that new to a clutch....my 300 does the same thing....my friends bikes go rite in2 it....but mine takes a while also....i hav no clue y though

Dr89
09-05-2006, 06:53 PM
well, i've had two 300's now and both of em did the same thing, one we bought brand new, its no biggy, i've owned blasters, warriors, kfx, and they've all done that from time to time, some of them worse than others, prolly having somethin to do with maintenance by past owners but if you want you could try changin yr fluids up, try somethin more high dollar, but i wouldnt worry about it, a stock honda clutch is stronger than any aftermarket one yr gonna find.

Sjorge450R
09-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Dr89
well, i've had two 300's now and both of em did the same thing, one we bought brand new, its no biggy, i've owned blasters, warriors, kfx, and they've all done that from time to time, some of them worse than others, prolly having somethin to do with maintenance by past owners but if you want you could try changin yr fluids up, try somethin more high dollar, but i wouldnt worry about it, a stock honda clutch is stronger than any aftermarket one yr gonna find.

I run alot of slack in my clutch lever and I dont have a problem with getting it into nuetral since i replaced my clutch.

Dr89
09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
haha where i live everything is on a hill so its very rare that im tryin to find neutral anyways, unless i feel like it rollin away into who knows where. i just dont think its an uncommoon thing at all to have to play around to find neutral, until you get used to doin it anyways.

TJCamro
09-06-2006, 12:00 AM
not new to a manual at all, my wifes 250x has no problem sitting still and going into neutral. the slack adjustment is just about perfect but for some reason its finickey, like if i let it move forward and the pull the clutch it will let me kick it into neutral. dunno just wondering if it was anything I should really worry about.

hks308
09-06-2006, 10:31 AM
i got a 300ex and mine does it to. but everyone is saying change up the slack, guess i will have to try to do that when i get home. i thought that ment my clutch was going bad, and i know how to use a manual.

who knows

maybe it will change on a 2007

bwamos
09-06-2006, 11:17 AM
No 300ex in 07. :(
But, it's always been common on the 300ex's. I used to have thardest time gettting my ex into neutral/reverse. It jstu likes to skip straight to 2. Once you get the feel for it it's a lot easier.

I do have to admit the 400ex, and others go into neutral a LOT easier.

Pure speculation here, but I have a feeling it has to do with the neutral also having to push the neutral switch open, and mechanism allowing you to pull the reverse engagement lever up. (cant do it in any other gear, even with the clutch/reverse lever pulled).

rebelbuggy
09-18-2006, 06:29 PM
I posted the same question like yesterday, mine is a pain to find when runing but shut it off and pops right into it....

Someone said sounded like my cluth was going out but after reading everyones replies I guess its normal, I had a 300EX few yrs ago same yr 96 and it never had problems finding N while running.

I know how to find it I have rode many 4 wheelers , dirt bikes.