PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Trouble and some others things...

PYF
09-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi again everybody !

When I bought my quad, the tranny was in excellent condition and had no problems at all. Since I had the engine rebuild in june, there is some problems with it and I'm trying to find what it could be...

First, the shifter has no feel at all. I mean that I don't hear the shifter click when It goes into gear. That way it's kinda hard to find neutral. Second thing (which is more annoying) is that the tranny sometimes fall in neutral when I shift. For example, If I shift fast from 4th to 5th, it will often falls in neutral. Then if I downshift from that ''neutral'', I fall back into 5 (if i'm not mistaken) and if I shift I fall into 6th. It's really annoying. It can also falls on neutral is virtually any gears when I downshift while climbing hills (Which can be kinda dangerous)...

Second there is another thing semi-transmission related REALLY BOTHERING ME. The oil is always full of metal particles depot. I can put new oil, go ride it for 1 hours and it will be full of it. I can flush it a couple times and there will always be some. I'm kinda worried with this since I want to keep the quad to completely restore it this winter, but I don't want to have a time-bomb in my tranny. On top of that, the oil is always gray (Not the same thing as if there was coolant in the oil though...anyways the water pump seal are new)

Oh and by the way I'd like to get a complete front end if anybody has one for sale (spindles, hubs, calipers, rotors, a-arms, tie rods and shocks)
(((AFTERMARKET IF POSSIBLE))

Thanks a lot for your help and your knowledge in advance guys !

EDIT: Oh yeah, If there is anybody having an airbox laying around, I would be a buyer !

DPR250R
09-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by PYF

First, the shifter has no feel at all. I mean that I don't hear the shifter click when It goes into gear.

Second there is another thing semi-transmission related REALLY BOTHERING ME. The oil is always full of metal particles depot.

First make sure your clutch is adjusted and operating properly. An impropely adjusted clutch, stretched cable etc. can cause all of the symptoms you are describing.

If your clutch is in good working order I would suggest pulling the clutch cover, clutch basket and external shift mechanism.

Check the pin/bolt that goes into the shift drum.... probly loosend up. (My guess is that it is loose.. .especially if you just had your engine rebuilt).Get your 12mm deep socket and remove the pin/bolt.

Clean the threads on both the pin/bolt and inside the shift drum with brake cleaner. Use a SMALL amount of red loctite and reinstall the pin/bolt to the torque spec listed in the manual. Reassemble and you should be good to go.

For used parts and trading parts I have had good luck with these guys....

www.rubberupracing.com

Hope this helps...

C-LEIGH RACING
09-05-2006, 07:59 AM
Next time you change the oil, get a magnet & see if any of that metal your seeing in the oil will stick to it.
If the metal is part of the trannie gears it will be kinda hunkie & will stick to the magnet for sure.
Gray colored oil is a sign of aluminum wearing, more than likely clutch parts.
Shift forks worn real bad will cause short shifting (not going into the gear)
Worn shafts & gears worn on the inside will do the same thing. As your trying to shift, the gear wobbles on the shaft & wont go into the gear completely.
Switch your trannie oil to Dexron II ATF as a test & see if it makes a difference in the shifting, but keep in mind thats not a long term oil, need to be changed every one or two rides.
We have used it for years in the Rs racing TT, 3/4s of a quart & makes no difference if its high priced or cheap. Wal mart has the best price per gallon.
Neil

86 Quad R
09-05-2006, 08:41 AM
as suggested i would pull the cover and inspect things in there theroughly. afterwards remove the clutch basket and counter parts. pay close attention to the shifter (ratchet) assembly. this includes the arm with the lil roller aswell as the lil ratchet hub.

remove the chain and front counter sprocket and upon inspection, start with the tranny in neutral and run in through the gears slowly up shifting and down shifting. get a feal of things.

i had a very similar problem as your's many a moon back when i did my first build and my problem was the two lil bolts that holds the tabs for the shift drum on the inside had backed out. in worst case senerio this could be one of ya problems. good luck with it. :)

PYF
09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all your advice...Looks like I have no others options than pulling the case. Fortunably, this is an easy job :)

I remember than when we rebuilt the engine, we forgot the pin on the drum shifter causing the shifter to have no precision but I bought it and installed it and everything was fine...Is it possible the pin fell in the cover ? As far I as I remember, It wouldn't be possible since the pin is secured behind the shifter shaft

DPR250R
09-05-2006, 12:20 PM
I am referring to part# 24315-KA3-710

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx250r%2086-89/trx250r%20frames%20page.htm

I have seen them come loose a couple times and cause what you are describing.

PYF
09-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by DPR250R
I am referring to part# 24315-KA3-710

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx250r%2086-89/trx250r%20frames%20page.htm

I have seen them come loose a couple times and cause what you are describing.

Thanks a lot, I will look into this...

I though you were talking about 24322-HA0-000

DPR250R
09-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Also check what the other guys posted.... they have good points.

Good luck... hope you get it sorted out!

PYF
09-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by DPR250R
Also check what the other guys posted.... they have good points.

Good luck... hope you get it sorted out!

Thanks!