PDA

View Full Version : valve adjustment , already using a .120 shim?

atvwdsrcer
09-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Has anyone ran into this problem , and what would the remedy be. I have adjusted my valves and I used the smallest shim (.120) on 1 of the intake valves. Even with this small shim (the shim kit from hotcams does not have anything smaller) my tolerance is still too tight. I have heard there has been some valve seat issues. What do I need to do? Any knowledgable help will be greatly appreciated.

duke416ex
09-04-2006, 08:11 PM
How many hours does your bike have on it? The time I saw this problem the bike needed new intake valves. They were wore around the edges allowing them to sink up into the head. I did take 2 shimes and file them down to use until I could get the new valves.

lumi
09-04-2006, 08:34 PM
i would first see if honda has a smaller shim size and i would honda shims more often than hotcams shims. if not you will have to get new valves or maybe have them cut by a good mechanic who knows there stuff.

-lumi

GPracer2500
09-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Pretty sure 1.20mm is the smallest OEM shim too.

dead eye 00
09-04-2006, 09:16 PM
You need to replace your valves. They are softer than the seats so they wear out faster. They are only about 30 bucks apiece plus a head gasket. Better to do it now than wait till one snaps.

cals400ex
09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
are you sure you are on top dead center of the compression stroke?

DirtDevilBT
09-04-2006, 09:53 PM
It just needs to be on the base circle but that's besides the point. The exhaust valves are much harder than the intakes because of the hardening process and material used. Just replace the intakes with some Kibblewhite SS valves and you wont have a problem. If you get stockers, look to have this happen down the road again.

The price difference between the valves is worth the upgrade. Trust me, I can see my stockers from here, wink wink.

stocktires
09-04-2006, 11:20 PM
http://www.ronhamp.com/portal/default.asp

This guy is a wiz on CRF motors, call him up, his springs, valves, and retainers are some of the best. The general problem with CRF motors (450r motors also) is a number of things, cheap valves, cheap retainers, and weak springs.
If you want the cheap way out, just replace the intake vlaves with factory, but i never would.
www.thumpertalk.com is a great forum for CRF motors and their general (valve) problems.

lumi
09-05-2006, 05:36 AM
just to let you know maybe the cause of this was, hundred of hours on the motor almost hear a 1000, or hundred of low hours with no valve adjustment. usually the cause, is it in your case?

-lumi

atvwdsrcer
09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
I have only had this 06 for a bit more than 6 months. It probably has close to 80- 100 hours on it. I have kept up with the valve adjustments. This is the 3rd time they needed adjusting. Thanks for all the advice. Where do you get KB ss valves? I really didnt want to spend this money at this point but I guess while I"ve got the head off I will replace the piston and rings. I race woods. Any good suggestions on a complete set-up. Wiseco, stock? I do want to keep the compression stock 12:1. This thing already has enough trouble starting. I did install a kickstart on it and that deffinataly helped.

Colby@C&DRacing
09-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Ah the 06 450r. I just went through this with my wifes 06 the intake valves are titanium and were shot so I went with the stainless steel kibblewhite intakes and heavy duty valve springs and a valve job. And like you I told her that while we are in there we should replace the piston and add a cam so she went with the JE 12.8:1 and a stg 1 hot cam (she races xc also) I got it put together saturday and haven't had a chance to get it in the dirt yet..

stocktires
09-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Ah the 06 450r. I just went through this with my wifes 06 the intake valves are titanium and were shot so I went with the stainless steel kibblewhite intakes and heavy duty valve springs and a valve job. And like you I told her that while we are in there we should replace the piston and add a cam so she went with the JE 12.8:1 and a stg 1 hot cam (she races xc also) I got it put together saturday and haven't had a chance to get it in the dirt yet..

Are you going to run the JE 12.8:1 on pump gas? j/w

Colby@C&DRacing
09-05-2006, 04:30 PM
I had it thermal coated but we run race fuel, I would mix a bit of race fuel some where around 100 octane

DirtDevilBT
09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Do you have the valves and spring kit C&D?

Otherwise I got my spring kit from another site and my valves from the guy that ported my head. I think the valves where like 30 bucks each???? can't remember

Colby@C&DRacing
09-07-2006, 08:33 AM
we are full line performance shop of course we sell those items

DirtDevilBT
09-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Well there you go ^^^ atvwdsrcer