PDA

View Full Version : My first race...not so good...

WheelieMan4
09-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Well I had my first race on Saturday...I ran Quad C at Maquoketa, IA. In the first moto I ran into a guy and put a hole in my rim...I ended up taking 4th. Then in the 2nd moto, I had a terrible start...Then half way around the track on the first lap I hit the kill switch and everyone passed me...So I was in last and was so mad that I wasnt thinking and wasnt going that fast and cased a double pretty bad. My front tires made it over the lip and that was it. I flipped over the handle bars and the quad did a complete flip and landed on all 4 wheels. I banged up my knee, but nothing else happend to me or my quad. I was a half a lap down but finally caught a guy and passed him. So I took 6th that moto, and got 5th overall.

I wish I could have done better...my slowest part was in the corners. I lean off pretty far, but I guess it must not be far enough? Do any of you guys have any suggestions on how to corner better...Thanks.

09-04-2006, 04:50 PM
well, i slip the clutch in 3rd....about halfway i rev it and dump the clutch and come shooting out of the corner....but i also lean back and hang off with only one half of my body...put a little angle into your lean too...and if you can, ride high and shoot low

P.S. sorry to hear about your quad, are you ok?...what about the quad?

FoxRacing81
09-04-2006, 05:07 PM
It happens man. First race, you didn't do bad at all. Heck, my first race I was leading through 2 laps with people right on my ***, then came around a corenr and stalled (I was on 450r at the time)...everyone passed me....2nd moto I got hung up in first corner and everyone got around me yet again lol....

Then 2nd race I took first both motos. :D

It'll happen, don't worry about it. Just ride fast but smart.

440racer66
09-04-2006, 08:04 PM
^^^ good advise but you need to get some + 2s to even try and compete or youll be busting you butt to try and win

FoxRacing81
09-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by 440racer66
^^^ good advise but you need to get some + 2s to even try and compete or youll be busting you butt to try and win

For C Class, you don't. It is competitive, and occasionally you'll get your fully decked quad in C (which there is nothing wrong with that...if you got the money, go for it), but C is basicly the basic class. You can still be very competive on a stock quad.

A Arms would definalty help, but not nessacary to be competitive.

440racer66
09-05-2006, 10:17 AM
our c class has nouthing but tricked out quads they all go + 2s

JJ69
09-05-2006, 01:17 PM
well i have a 250x and i want to get into racing.. how would i go about doing it?
would it be like against 400exs and stuff or is there a smaller bike class?
what do i need done to my bike?

440racer66
09-05-2006, 05:10 PM
well you rgoona have to either get wide or get a new bike

FoxRacing81
09-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by JJ69
well i have a 250x and i want to get into racing.. how would i go about doing it?
would it be like against 400exs and stuff or is there a smaller bike class?
what do i need done to my bike?

How old are you? Around here, this is a 300ex class if you are 13-15. If your older, who cares, race whatever class you want. Around here they have a D class, for beginner racers. If where you live doesn't have D or you feel comfortable enough in C, then go for it. It takes more rider then anything to be competitive.

Last year one kid in C had an all stock 400ex just mx tires and he was crushing C...against some pretty decked out quads....just goes to show you don't need everything to be competitive, the wider stuff just helps.

WheelieMan4
09-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Yea everyone in C class where I race is all decked out and extended everything. One guy in B class has a fully built Sparks Racing engine, its engraved in the side and also all long travel. He races B, but isnt that good...So no, its not all the quad, BUT...it helps.

Anyone got any +2 ST arms for a 400ex? Thanks...

CannondaleRider
09-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by FoxRacing81

Last year one kid in C had an all stock 400ex just mx tires and he was crushing C...against some pretty decked out quads....just goes to show you don't need everything to be competitive, the wider stuff just helps.

Sounds like a sandbagger to me..:ermm:

rebelbuggy
09-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by the_440_kid
well, i slip the clutch in 3rd....about halfway i rev it and dump the clutch and come shooting out of the corner....but i also lean back and hang off with only one half of my body...put a little angle into your lean too...and if you can, ride high and shoot low

P.S. sorry to hear about your quad, are you ok?...what about the quad?

Thats what my buddy told me to do at the pratice track yesterday but i just couldnt get the hang of it, more pratice I guess, it was my very first time on a track..

Phills450r
09-05-2006, 09:29 PM
let the riding come to you.. don't push it and over do yourself either..

Wider a-arms and axle would help you improve alot.. no you dont HAVE to have it but I noticed a big difference when i got on my buddies wider quad.. a big one

rebelbuggy
09-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Phills450r
let the riding come to you.. don't push it and over do yourself either..

Wider a-arms and axle would help you improve alot.. no you dont HAVE to have it but I noticed a big difference when i got on my buddies wider quad.. a big one

yeah my buddy has a 400ex with like +2 or 3 a arms and i got on it and i was like wow this thing is huge but also the power made a driffrence but I would hurt myself with that much power lol if you have it thenyou try stupid thing I know that already lol...

09-06-2006, 05:43 AM
For me, cornering is about two things -

1. Get your weight to the inside of the turn, and put your butt on the inside rear corner of the seat. As you turn, your weight will push the rear end around quicker.

2. Slip the clutch and keep your revs high. Feathering the clutch will allow you to apply power when and where you need it. It will both help you slide the rear end and accelerate out of the corner.