PDA

View Full Version : Transmission bolts backing out??

wvspeedfreak
09-04-2006, 03:08 PM
2 times in the last three months I have had a couple of the transmission cover bolts loosen up on our Kasea Skyhawk.When it does this it leaks grease out of the trans and it gets all over the clutch and belt:( The first time it happened I took the transmission apart,inspected everything,checked the gasket and re-assembled everything and tightened the bolts down.Should I use Loc-Tite on these bolts or is something else going on?

ROBBSRACING
09-04-2006, 05:16 PM
We had the same problem a couple years ago when Robbie was racing a Kasea. I used allen bolts, drilled 2 opposing holes in the heads of every one. Then I took a piece of stainless wire and ran it through every one of the holes and twisted the ends together tightly at the end. Kinda like connecting the dots if you know what I mean. Never had that problem ever again. I tried loc-tite, lock washers, different gaskets and HD dowel pins. Nothing else worked for me.

wvspeedfreak
09-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks Robb,that is a good idea!

ROBBSRACING
09-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Anytime.

BradLoomis
09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
I clean the holes in the case out real well and then use silicone. I find that loctite is to hard and brittle and that the engine vibration will crack them loose. The silicone seems to hold everything together through all the vibration.

LT80
09-06-2006, 06:58 AM
But why? I've found a cpl bent shafts cause it before.;)

miniquaddad
09-06-2006, 08:36 AM
I know I switched over to allen bolts and loc-tited them. Havent had an issue since.

wvspeedfreak
09-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I got the allen bolts for it today.I am going to use lock washers and loc-tite.If they do it again,I guess I'll safety wire them like Robb said he did.

wvspeedfreak
09-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by LT80
But why? I've found a cpl bent shafts cause it before.;)

That's what I was wondering too but everything seems to be running true.Our first issues with the tranny were stripped gears due mainly to my son not letting off the gas when landing jumps but we haven't trashed any more gears since he quit.