PDA

View Full Version : Z400, after 3 months...

08-29-2002, 09:31 AM
It's a little summary about my Z400.

After 2 months, the reverse buttom is broken. Thats bad, and expensive to change...

After some jumps, my axle bent... warranty pay for that, but they put the same axle, and that will re-bent soon, I'm sure :(

The engine knock as ****, I don't know if it's normal, but that's very irritating.

The rear brake don't want to stop to squeak...

My fears about the suzuki reliability come true, I don't feel safe now with it, and If I can give an advice: If you really want to have a Z, wait few years or go with the 400ex right now. All my friends have 400ex 2000-2001, and they drive harder than me, and nobody have a little trouble with that...and the power of the Z is not very higher. Sorry for all Z400 lovers! I don't hate my quad at all, It's a great quad, but I must admit the 400ex is a better quad!!

08-29-2002, 11:10 AM
Boy you just pee'd all in freaky's wheaties..:eek: :eek:

PS..make sure to post that over at the Z400 central website and give us a feedback of what them boys over there say..:eek:

Wired
08-29-2002, 11:11 AM
LOL :eek:

AtvMxRider
08-29-2002, 11:35 AM
That was the one of the reasons why I didn't get a Z400. I didn't know how reliable they would be in there first year. Plus I like the way the 400ex looks alot better than the Z.

dabombdale
08-29-2002, 11:39 AM
i want a 400ex because i can get them cheaper since there are a lot of used ones out there.

08-29-2002, 11:48 AM
I read in a mag last night that honda just recently sold there 500,000 400ex......WOW

freakystone
08-29-2002, 01:05 PM
You and your 14 total posts are pretty convincing.

Now let psycoanalyze the real you...

"You probably just bought a 400EX while all your buddies bought Z's and you regret it so much that this is your only way to vent."

Truth hurts huh?

Nausty
08-29-2002, 03:21 PM
why would he lie about that? I doubt he is trying to get a rise out of people because if he did he would be bashing the 400ex or on a z400 site bashing it.

Sick0
08-29-2002, 03:44 PM
Its probly knocks becuse you are using the wrongg gas. The compression on the z-400 is a pretty high. Its like 11 to 1 or some thing like that.

my friends raptor had the problem with the reverse button when he flip it. It broke alot easyer than it should of.

The axle bent. At least they cover it. I think if you had bent the axle on the raptor or honda they would have told you it was yoru fualt and ther not going to replace it.Same thing happen with first year raptor. Buy an after market one and sell the stock one. You know theres going to be an market for the axle. Somebody going to have replace there bent axle.

The z-400 is starting to grow On me, I think its a great quad. But not the best quad in the world. Just another quad that I'm going to have to past.

Guy400
08-29-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by koolfreak
It's a little summary about my Z400.

After 2 months, the reverse buttom is broken. Thats bad, and expensive to change...This is the same switchgear and mechanism as on the Raptor. No reports of broken switches on them so why would it be different on the Z. Sounds like operator error.

After some jumps, my axle bent... warranty pay for that, but they put the same axle, and that will re-bent soon, I'm sure :( Any axle can bend. Don't a large majority replace axles anyway with aftermarket units?

The engine knock as ****, I don't know if it's normal, but that's very irritating.This is a proven powerplant from the DRZ dirtbike with an excellent record. Was break-in performed properly? Again, sounds like operator error.

The rear brake don't want to stop to squeak...Clean the brake, replace the pads if necessary.

Sick0
08-29-2002, 03:46 PM
hey freakystone this What I think.

Nausty
08-29-2002, 03:49 PM
sicko it may be 11:1 compression but the stroke makes a lot of differance also. Think the knocking is just that he needs his valves adjusted? But I don't expect a axle to bend when you get it just to say "well I was gonna replace it anyways" when you pay so much for one in the first place. no offence or anything lt

Sick0
08-29-2002, 04:04 PM
Are you saying if the more over square the bore the higher the compresstion you can run before its detionats.

If the valves are need to be adjusted then, It would sould a lot more like a ticking sound. But you maybe rite.

So you don't need to run race gas in though things;. My friend has to run race gas in his 250f
dirt bike and its pretty stock. May be you have to run race gas in he z-400 . I sure they would told that thought.

Sick0
08-29-2002, 04:08 PM
bump

freakystone
08-29-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
hey freakystone this What I think.

Glad to see you liked and stole my gif...

4punksdad
08-29-2002, 04:45 PM
sounds like minor problems to me.................nothing lasts forever. take care of it the best you can & sell it when you are done with it. in the mean time................ride with a smile.:D

Sick0
08-29-2002, 04:52 PM
yup. You have any more cool thing I can't steal from you.

JabberJaw
08-29-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Boy you just pee'd all in freaky's wheaties..:eek: :eek::eek:

Not to change the subject, but..... is anyone going to eat those wheaties? I'd hate to see em go to waste!

skemp
08-30-2002, 12:15 AM
Maybe somebody can tell me freakystone's purpose here? Seriously...

Easy Guy... :D Just messin'
Anyway, I have heard a lot about weak axles, and weak tie rods, but it is the first year for this machine, and usually every manufacturer has a few problems with all new models. They will fix the problems they have now in the following years. To me, the Z seems like a decent machine. After sitting on one, the seating is a bit too high for me, and I think the looks leave something to be desired, but all in all, it is a 400EX, with more power, and I like that. Throw on some Honda plastic with a different swingarm and axle (that chain adjustment pisses me off, my friend's LT is a bugger to adjust) and that thing would be mine.
It is funny, while Honda riders piss and moan about how the Z sucks, the Zuki guys are doing the same exact thing about Honda. Can't we all just get along?

New-400ex_guy
08-30-2002, 02:07 AM
well i love my Z, havent had any problems with it, ive had more problems with the 400ex and ive only had it about 2 months longer.....bent the steering stem on a little roll over in sand:mad: also it bent the handle bars. any stock axle is pretty weak, they are not made for big jumps i even think any atv manual says NOT to jump it. im sure every ex owner has had something bend or break on there bike.

SGA
08-30-2002, 06:02 AM
I bent the tie rod!! My 400EX must be a sorry machine!!! Over the last year, all i've done is raced it, ran into a few trees, flipped it once or twice.
Its a piece of junk!! I'm sellin it and buying a suzuki Z400!!:D

freakystone
08-30-2002, 06:09 AM
Wait a minute... I NEVER said any negative comment concerning the 400EX. NEVER!

I loved my EX. But it was time for reverse. The Z was the answer. The Raptor wasnt even an option for me.

SGA
08-30-2002, 06:21 AM
LOL. Freaky, that wasn't aimed at you at all. I'm just poking a little fun at the 400EX-Z400 war.

airheadedduner
08-30-2002, 10:31 AM
The z400-400ex war is a lost cause.
Suzuki copied the 400ex frame geometry so the Z handles well(a smart move). The motor has way more potential then an ex. The Z's motor may not put out ground pounding power in stock form but with a few mods it screams out cannondale hp numbers. Like people have been sayin, it has some week points but otherwise is an awesome machine. When you are buying an EX over the Z all you are gettin is honda reliability. Though one of my buddies has an 02' EX and the tranny blew on it after a few rides.

skemp
08-30-2002, 02:39 PM
So far, I have been very lucky with my quad. The stock axle only has a little twitch at high speeds, and I have taken some very, very mean landings, and not one of my stock wheels ever dented. Those wheels are TOUGH, I just wish they looked like Douglas wheels. Speaking of which, a week or two ago I bent every one of my Douglas wheels. The other day I bent my steering stem with a little "tangle" with a guy on a dirt bike that decided he wanted to go backwards around the track. Other than that, I have beaten the piss out of my quad and it it still in awesome shape. I just take extremely good care of it when I am not slamming it around. I change the oil approximately every 8 hours, wash it after every ride, lube everything every other long ride, and check over things. Just doing that assures me that it will be ready to rip when I need it to.

Sleeping Catfish
08-30-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by freakystone
You and your 14 total posts are pretty convincing.

Now let psycoanalyze the real you...

"You probably just bought a 400EX while all your buddies bought Z's and you regret it so much that this is your only way to vent."

Truth hurts huh?

freaky is right. it is the same person who keeps bashing to z400. if you can't see this you are a moron...

lil400exman
08-30-2002, 03:24 PM
catfish u are not in much of a possitiopn to be speakin about bashin:huh.........................

balla250ex
08-30-2002, 04:14 PM
Well that is a suzuki for ya.:blah

Sleeping Catfish
08-30-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by lil400exman
catfish u are not in much of a possitiopn to be speakin about bashin:huh.........................

it's really funny how stupid some of you are...(notice SOME of you). yeah suzukis must be crap, i mean all the guys are talking about how bad they are at z400central. if i were you i would listen to this guy, he has been around the forum for a while and really knows what he is talking about.:rolleyes: i think i know who it really is.

08-31-2002, 07:24 AM
Hey, I don't want to flame Suzuki, but I explain what happened to me in the lasts weeks with my Z. I'm a proud owner of Zuki, and I ALWAYS defend the Z over my 400ex friends, but when that ****s happen to me, I feel very angry. But the Z is a very good quad to me cause I cannot absolutely do without reverse and engine cooling. It is primary importance for me, cause I often ride on trails with my gf at lower speed. But when I paid 9600$ Can for that, I had hoped not to have problems like that before at least a year.

And if you don't believe me, I will post somes pics later... but I've no reason to flame Suzuki for nothing. And I also think this some problems are normal cause it is the first year of production.

And for the use that I do myself of it, I would not exchange it for a 400ex but people must also know the weak points which I have find.

Z400central
08-31-2002, 09:59 AM
theres lots of reasons why things can happen, some people have 0 problems with their Z (and i know of people who have had 0 problems with theres) and others who havent...it depends on how you treat your quad, breakin and driving etc. You dont treat it right, it wont treat you right back. But being a first year quad, sure,its gonna have problems, its expected right? But its still a great quad.

lil400exman
09-03-2002, 06:45 AM
may i remind the 400ex dont have n e problems lol just kiddin each quad has it own niche like 400ex suck in dues but roks on mx tracks z so so on mx but killer in the dunes same foe the banshee and raptor ju8st get the quad that works for you!

Z400central
09-03-2002, 07:50 AM
What?!?!:confused: E-N-G-L-I-S-H!:D

JabberJaw
09-03-2002, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by lil400exman
may i remind the 400ex dont have n e problems lol just kiddin each quad has it own niche like 400ex suck in dues but roks on mx tracks z so so on mx but killer in the dunes same foe the banshee and raptor ju8st get the quad that works for you!

I'm which u dude! fohuned is good z is well ok gots to b true, peace out!

4punksdad
09-03-2002, 06:20 PM
:p

VooDuu Child
09-07-2002, 11:37 AM
My girl and I have had Z's since their release date with only minor problems thus far. Like the return spring for the brake light. And what else, um not enough time in the day for riding. I beat the piss outta mine as compaired to my girlfiends and it has held up just as well. I've rolled it down a hill, nothing hurt but ego and plastics were bent down, but that was a two second fix. I jump it constantly off whatever I can and the landings are not always perfect, but my axle is. I rip around doing fourth gear wheelies with ease. She's been in some supa dupa deep water and begged for more. I take very good care of it, utilizing the grease fittings, cleaning chain, changing oil, and broke her in correctly. This bike is totally awesome and if you actually do go over to the forum @ z400central.com, you will hear much of the same. Most everyone there loves this machine. Although there was one post where someone actually didn't like it, but that was just one post. I would say, for a first year machine, mine has held up superbly and there is not a single quad on the market I would switch for. It is the best all around bike out there, and I have ridden plenty to say so. Thaz my .02
peace

R-Crazy
09-07-2002, 12:01 PM
i cant wait for the 04 to come out. that is when i get my Z!!!!!!!! i just dont want any bugs.

dave

freakystone
09-11-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 300ex rules
i cant wait for the 04 to come out. that is when i get my Z!!!!!!!! i just dont want any bugs.

dave

Buy the 03' Z and have a ball. Stay away from easy chicks that scratch and you wont get any bugs.

lil400exman
09-11-2002, 07:21 PM
CATFISH WHAT DO YOU MEAN??? YEH OT REAL CONVINCI˜G ALSMOST 400 POSTS.....:grr ITS ALOT BETTER THAN ALWAYS BASHIN THE POOR DALE I WANT A DALE BE LUCKY AND HAPPY WIHT WUT U GOT AND THAT WAS FOR THE COMMENT I EARLIER MADE.........BOUT NOT BASHIN!!!

Sparks425Ex
09-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Can't We All Just Get Along?

I mean really folks. This matter can be resolved in a peacful manner. Just use the assertive I message's that you all have learned in school. I am learning them now.

Zero Z400
09-14-2002, 04:23 PM
U got a lemon Z. My friend got a 400ex when i got my Z, heres his problems.
1.Fried engine, replaced w/ a new one
2. Airfilter fell off, dirt in engine, new cylinder, piston rings & piston pin
My problems
1. Bent axle from landing wrong on a flat landing
2. Bent rotor and sprocket, can happen to any quad
All quads have problems, just cuz a new one has alot it is still only ONE!!

Later

Sick0
09-14-2002, 04:41 PM
this thread is getting stupid.

GreatAim
09-14-2002, 06:19 PM
this thread is getting stupid.

yup

Sick0
09-15-2002, 12:17 PM
BLA BLA BLA. Who cares which quads. just ride have fun with what you have. All quads break.

Guy400
09-15-2002, 01:11 PM
BLA BLA BLA. Who cares which quads. just ride have fun with what you have. All quads break. It's funny you want to be so diplomatic in this thread and talk how all quads break and that the point is to just have fun but in the "red z400" and "Raptor's = JUNK" threads you perpetuate the "Z vs. 400EX vs. Raptor" argument by saying the Z's and Raptor's are junk. Seems to me that the ones who bash the most are the ones most scared of competition.

Sick0
09-15-2002, 01:54 PM
Well I think the raptor are junk, I think the Z are junk but alot better than a Raptor. But who cares what a honda fan would think.

beerock
09-15-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by GuyLT250R
This is the same switchgear and mechanism as on the Raptor. No reports of broken switches on them so why would it be different on the Z. Sounds like operator error.

Any axle can bend. Don't a large majority replace axles anyway with aftermarket units?

This is a proven powerplant from the DRZ dirtbike with an excellent record. Was break-in performed properly? Again, sounds like operator error.

Clean the brake, replace the pads if necessary.

I just want to ask ,guy, do you work for yamaha?

cuz I dont see how you could be the mecca of "broken reverse switches"

I have seen more then a dozen rapturds with boken reverse switches.:rolleyes:

so I dont see where you got your info.

here wait lemme go put some 10w-40 in my crank shaft oil galley of my two stroke, then maybe ill know where you got your info from :p :rolleyes:

Sick0
09-15-2002, 02:11 PM
My friends reverse broke 2 month after owning one.

Guy400
09-15-2002, 02:29 PM
Response retracted because I don't want to get into some elementary argument.

Sick0
09-15-2002, 02:33 PM
play nice.

Guy400
09-15-2002, 02:36 PM
My cousin's steering stem on his EX bent twice, does this mean there's a problem in the design? While accidents do happen it's not a widespread epidemic of Raptor/Z reverse switchgear breaking. If used normally the switchgear should last a lifetime but when quads are wrecked and rolled and things break than I hardly call it a design issue. I find it funny how owners of a particular brand know of dozens of reliability issues with the competition yet are unable to point out a single problem with the make they ride. With Leo being a Dodge mechanic, I wonder if he sees any problems with Dodge or is his brand the only one that doesn't ever break?

09-15-2002, 02:38 PM
I know a guy that bought a 01 brand new 400ex from the dealer, it didnt run right, then it didnt run at all, al of hte head bolts were striped from the factory. Good old Honda said they would give him an 02, Honda changed out hte plastics, sticker, and papers and said th same bike was an 02. They later found out that whent they took the motor apart again it was hte same one.

Sick0
09-15-2002, 03:14 PM
Well the sterring stem are junk on the 400ex. The did have a problem with them. I think the 02 and up are diffrent. Mine is a 01 in its bent more time that I could count.

R-Crazy
09-15-2002, 08:51 PM
isnt there some welding problems going on with honda? axles are weak on the raptor, Z400, and the KFX, considering the axles are almost identical. all quads have thier problems. if we would just admit that nothing is perfect, life would be wonderful.

dave