PDA

View Full Version : weird?

bansheerider4
09-04-2006, 10:18 AM
so yesterday i went to take my banshee for a ride after i started it i gave it throttle maybe 3 times to get it to idle and to warm up....then before i was about to go i gave it gas again and i heard this weird sound coming out of the silencer (the left one)so i put my hand behind it pushed the throttle and it wasnt a steady flow of air it like popped out in a burst but then i was like maybe it was cuz i just washed it and waters still in it so i started to go but i heard nothing...then when i let it sit for a bit it started doing that again:confused:

so does anyone ever have this problem or know what it is or is it just nothing to worry about?

bansheexcracer2
09-04-2006, 11:34 AM
mine did that, so I replaced the packing an dit took care of the problem. Open your silencer and see if your packing is bad.

bansheerider4
09-04-2006, 11:38 AM
im new to this so how will i know if its bad?

yellowzo3
09-04-2006, 12:01 PM
make sure you didnt foul any plugs and your carbs are clean as well.

bansheerider4
09-04-2006, 12:02 PM
umm how will you know if you fouled a plug?(sorry not real big on the engine stuff yet)

yellowzo3
09-04-2006, 12:14 PM
well it could be a variety of different colors. heres a chart that may help you out.

http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm

if you havent replaced your stock plugs in a while i recommend replacing them anyway. oh, and also make sure your air filter is clean.

bansheerider4
09-04-2006, 12:24 PM
thanks and when you clean the air filter dont you have to use kerosene or something cuz i heard water rips it?

bansheerider4
09-04-2006, 12:42 PM
mine did that, so I replaced the packing an dit took care of the problem. Open your silencer and see if your packing is bad

well i went to do that and there were two problems one-when i tried to unscrew them me and my dad couldnt undo them and then it looks like someone welded them together and two-idk what it will look like if i need to repack

yellowzo3
09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
you can buy cleaner for air filters at your local dealer. i recommend using the cleaner and just follow the directions. i always rinse the filters using water.

bansheerider4
09-04-2006, 05:08 PM
so i took your guys advice and i looked at the air cleaner(a bit dirty)then i checked the spark plugs.....WOW!!!i took the cap off the right one then i went to take it off the left one and smoke started comin out of it:eek2: then it stopped..then the part on the top(that you have to set a certain about from it was completely brown and half gone and smelled horrible)i mean im not good with motors and stuff but i think thats not supposed to happen

yellowzo3
09-04-2006, 06:00 PM
half gone? was it smashed or anything. you should do a compression test on your cylinders. that doesnt sound good. if you have a compression tester just screw it in and kick the quad (dont try to start it). have someone read the gauge and see what its at. i forget what its supposed to be, but if your other cylinder is fine it should match or be close to that one. you should be able to get a compression tester at your local auto parts store.

EX lvr
09-04-2006, 07:44 PM
banshees should have around 120lbs of compression, and both cylinders should be within 10lbs of each other. your quad will probly still run good down to around 100lbs of compresion. but it should be higher