PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Idle

Choppers
09-04-2006, 09:23 AM
How many turns out should the idle setting be for a stock 2005 400ex?

redexrider
09-04-2006, 10:15 AM
there really isn't an amount of turns out it should be, that is something you just have to adjust by ear. It should idle low enough to where it is just hanging on. You really shouldnt even have to put any tension on a stock bike to have the idle right, you should be able to leave a little slack on the throttle cable and the pilot should be set right to idle that way. But is it doesn't idle right like that, just start with some slack on it and slowly turn it out until it is on point. give it a few seconds in between turns to settle.

Wildbrain
09-04-2006, 10:34 AM
I have mine set where it will barely stay running when it is cold.
Then when it warms up, it almost seems to be idleing a little to fast.

Choppers
09-04-2006, 12:45 PM
i know i messed with the screw that is on it and now it won't crank so i on't know if a jet is clogged up of if its that

could i be because i messed with that screw for the idle why it won't crank?

GPracer2500
09-04-2006, 12:53 PM
My idle screw (throttle stop screw on the carb) broke. The flexible part of the shaft just unwound on me. I just pulled it off and adjust the throttle stop screw with a small set of needle-nose pliers that I carry in the tool canister.

Choppers
09-04-2006, 01:06 PM
ok well let me ask you this my carb was ful of gas for 2 weeks could it have gummed up over that period of time?

krt400ex
09-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Choppers
ok well let me ask you this my carb was ful of gas for 2 weeks could it have gummed up over that period of time?

yes, if u didn't run the quad. i adjust my idale just high enough so that the bike doesn't stumble when i mash down on the throttle