PDA

View Full Version : Stock HI comp. bore/ XR cam??

Drtridr18
10-13-2001, 04:16 PM
Could you please give me opinions or estimate on the horsepwer/seat of the pants difference with this combo:

Stock bore, 10.5/11.0:1 piston??

CDI box

XR400 CAM

Degree Key

K&N Power Kit

Supertrapp IDS II pipe

Do any of you have a similar combination? Night and day difference? Opinions/experiences appreciated!

Thank you very much!!!

nakomis0
10-13-2001, 06:01 PM
Sounds like a nice setup to me, maybe throw a carb in there.

tinner
10-14-2001, 07:36 AM
There will be a huge difference.Makes it feel like a whole new machine.:)

Wheelie
10-14-2001, 10:14 AM
Does anyone make a 11:1 stock bore piston?

emiliano22
10-15-2001, 03:29 PM
How much the 11:1 piston does?
Is a big difference?

2000ex
10-15-2001, 05:46 PM
Drtridr18,

Here is the exact copy of a post I made about 1.5 months ago. Same holds true today, you will be very pleased with the setup. Personally I would go with the JE piston, but that is my personal preference.

To all those who are looking for info on a cammed, stock bore machine I did just that about a month ago and you will be more than pleased. I decided to go with the stock bore, as I felt that boring a perfectly good cylinder was not necessary. The stock bore will also tend to run a bit cooler than a 416, but it definitely runs hotter than the stock piston.

I decided to run the stock bore 10.5:1 JE coupled with the xr400 cam and gasket. I did all of the teardown myself and did some minor port work while I was in there. Basically cleaned up and port matched and polished the exhaust ports. I also ported the headpipes a bit where the welds were. I have been running a White Bros slip on for well over a year and am satisfied how it works with the modded motor.

First impressions were that the bottom end is really unchanged. While pulling through the midrange, the cam really begins to unwind itself letting the motor pull much harder than stock. Before I short shifted to keep the motor in the meat of its torque range, now she just pulls hard right to the rev limiter. I had only hit the limiter a few times with the stock motor, but now I find myself rev happy and hitting the limiter more often. I have not ridden a 416, but I am more than happy with the setup I have now. If the motor lets go (it probably never will, it is a Honda) I will be able to bump it to the 416 instead of re-sleeving it. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

Dave400ex
10-15-2001, 06:53 PM
Here`s what I would do,

Sparks Piston $200
Sparks Cam $200
Sparks Valve Springs $110
Sparks mod of stock carb $175
Sparks HI-Rev CDI $115
Sparks Ignition Advance Key $15
Sparks X-6 complete pipe $490
K&N Filter/Outerwear/Jet kit $90,

And sometime you would need to update your clutch, so while you already have the motor torn down I would go ahead and do it,

Hinson Clutch Basket $225
Sparks Heavy Duty Clutch Plates $139
Sparks Clutch Springs $15

The total is $1,775 That would be one heck of an engine. You would notice a huge difference in power. I`m not sure how much horsepower you would gain, but you would have to hold on tighter! About how much horsepower would you gain with this setup guys? :confused:

10-16-2001, 03:01 PM
How do your mods compare to a 400ex that is stock or has a silencer? Does it really pull away from these machines? How about a raptor? Thanks for any input.

2000ex
10-16-2001, 03:08 PM
Put it this way.

I have a buddy who has the full White Bros Pro-meg system, jetted perfectly, 20 in tires and stock 15t sprocket.

I am running the slip on, with my mods and 22in rears with the 15t rear. No chance of him catching me at all. Said he would be behind me and once the revs came up I pulled away HARD, and could not catch me.

As for the raptor, I have not dragged one, but I should think that it would be a fairly close race. I have raced more that a fair share in the woods and it was not even close. As you know a lot depends on the rider
:D

10-16-2001, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by mbiigamber
How do your mods compare to a 400ex that is stock or has a silencer? Does it really pull away from these machines? How about a raptor? Thanks for any input.

The setup 2000ex should spank an almost stock 400ex. The setup I'm goin with,, from what I've read,, will run right with a stock rapturd.
416 kit and XR cam, possible mild port job.

2000ex
10-16-2001, 03:27 PM
Rico,

I see you have been looking at getting some port work done. I am pretty mechanically inclined and pulled off what is probably considered a "play port" with a dremel and a few bits. Basically I only touched the exhaust ports a bit and polished them (very simple)

I am sure you probably do your own wrenching too and should have no problem doing this yourself. My last motor mod is going to be an FCR and then I will be done.

I love the new shocks too, had to soften the rebound on the rear as it was packing up hard on the large whoops. I may be sending it to Marcums for a revalve in the spring.

10-16-2001, 03:35 PM
Yeah Terry will do a complete rebuild of our shock fer like 240 bucks. THat's everything,,even replacing the spring if ya wiegh over a cetain wieght which I qualify for. He said it'll work as good as any aftermarket shock on the market,,I guess my fatarse will find out if he's tellin the truth,,which I'm sure he is.

And actually I won't be doin the wrenchin,,don't quite have all the proper tools,and I'm not gunna take the chance of doin it halfass,,I want it done right the 1st time,,and it's only gunna cost me like 130 bucks to drop off the bike and have all the motor work done,,so I'll be doin it the lazy man way,,,Once I get my garage project done I'll be doin all my wrenchin after that point. I can handle most things but motor tear down and guagin it,,not confidient with my small tool chest.

10-16-2001, 06:40 PM
I have ordered the same setup you have. What size main jet do you use. Terry at Marcum's sent me a 165 to use. Does this sound right. Did you have any problems installing the piston and cam? Thanks!