PDA

View Full Version : bad cdi ???

lee37vernon
09-04-2006, 07:11 AM
after a year build up i'm trying to get the r going but am having trouble finding a spark .
i have checked coil primary and secondary , stator and pulse generator according to Beerocks sticky , and they are all within spec . i have checked for any faulty wires going to ground and there are none , also all the wires check ok for continuity . i've disconnected the ignition and the kill switch from the circuit also to check their not bad .

i have had 1 spark that i've seen , and when i say one i mean literally 1 spark , not been able to replicate it . the cdi is all i can think of but its been sat in a box for 12 months so how can that make it go bad !!!????

anyone else had a similar problem ??:huh

C-LEIGH RACING
09-04-2006, 08:29 AM
In your wiring harness the connector that connects to the CDI, the black wire with the white stripe in that connector, thats your main ignition wire.
Most of the time when you pull it apart it looks like its connecting like it should but more than likely its not.
If you have someone that can kick the engine over, hold the cdi box & push in on that wire in the connector.
Your trying to make sure its making connection.
It could be that the little male pin in the cdi box is loose inside the box & pushing on the connector makes it connect.
Only way to fix that is to replace the box.
Another test you can do, what I did, takes two people though, I put the bike up on a barrell, took the right rear wheel off, got a BIG 1/2" drill & a scocket to fit the axle nut, spun the axle fast as the drill would spin & kicked it into 2nd gear.
With the plug out & grounded on the engine, the helper wiggled the wires untill he found the one that made the pulg spark which was the black wire with white stripe.
I have heard of people taking a small screw type C clamp & clamping the box as close to the area of the connector as possable & the spark would come back, but thats just saying for sure the CDI box is bad.
J&M Supply & McDonald ATV have aftermarket CDI boxxes that are just as good as OEM & a bit cheaper.
Neil

lee37vernon
09-04-2006, 11:57 AM
thanks neil , anyone else had similar experiences ???

lee37vernon
09-05-2006, 05:16 PM
anyone ? anyone using the non programmable dyna cdi ??