PDA

View Full Version : brake lines...can it be done?

A A R O N
09-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Well, I had a little mishap:o and the brake line coming fron the master cylinder on my yfz got trashed. It's an aftermarket braided style, and the little steel part that goes between the bolt and the cylinder and has the hole on the inside of it to transfer fluid snapped off. My question is, can a new end be presson on the line, or does the whole line need to be replaced??

jonboy
09-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Sorry man, but you're gonna have to replace it. :( It is a high pressure hose and fitting and they cant pressed back on. If you did just press it back on it would come off within the first couple of times you pulled the brake handle. Your brake system is a basic hydraulic system and there is a lot of pressure being applied from that little handle to stop the whole quad.

RadZuki
09-03-2006, 11:22 PM
AARON, yes you can get "banjo" fittings as their called in a compression fitting style threaded end. You have to cut your line near the old end thru the stainless braided line and plastic line inside the braiding, then you add the threaded cap onto the line and the compression fitting(the farell I think it's called), then you push the new banjo fitting with hose barbed end, which has threads next to the hose barb, into the plastic line and thread the cap with the compression fitting onto the new banjo fitting and tighten.
The fittings I know for sure are available thru Parts Unlimited in the street bike catalog. Look under banjo fittings or brake line parts in the index. Your local Honda or whatever make shop is probably a dealer for Parts Unlimited. These fittings are probably available thru other sources, in different colors and all but I know for sure from Parts. They have chrome and black I think?
The fittings are avilable in different shapes?, bends, angles,and sizes, so watch out for all that, get the right one picked out,LOL.
Good Luck!!!

stocktires
09-04-2006, 12:49 AM
With it being an aftermarket line, just call up the manufacturer and get that one piece of line new if you want to save some cash, instead of all new lines.

RadZuki
09-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by stocktires
With it being an aftermarket line, just call up the manufacturer and get that one piece of line new if you want to save some cash, instead of all new lines.
or you can try that, most places want to sell you the whole set-up again,LOL!!!

F-16Guy
09-07-2006, 10:06 PM
I would go with what Radzuki said. We use basically the same kind of fitting to repair our air hoses at work. They are very easy and cheap to install. For a few bucks a piece, I would at least try it.

A A R O N
09-08-2006, 05:47 AM
I can't find what rad is talking about. Somebody help me...I need somewhere where I can buy exactly what he described, cause every where I go or look, they say you either have to send it to them to fix it, or of course in the dealers words....."sorry, they have to be replaced.....and we just happen to have a few in stock if you want them":rolleyes:

Phills450r
09-08-2006, 06:56 AM
aaron did you get those tires yet? if not pm me when you do just so i know.. and if you did.. do you think you got a good deal on them.. jw it was my first time selling tires so i didnt wanna scam anyone

RadZuki
09-08-2006, 09:01 PM
AARON
The fitting's are on page 1198 Parts Unlimited Street catalog vol.2
These are by RUSSELL all chrome with about 4 diff. shapes and bends.
Russell Pro System 1 fittings and Line

Don't always trust the catalog to match the part#'s with the correct pic. If you have to order these ask the dealer to check his order screen to make sure on the description of that #, or ask the order taker on the phone what the description is if your dealer does not do on-line ordering with Parts Net-Web from Parts Unlimited.