PDA

View Full Version : Could you put a 2nd way of starting on a 300ex?

rebelbuggy
09-03-2006, 08:10 PM
I just wondered if they was any way posible you could put another method of starting a honda 300ex?

I have often wondered how come most quards only have one way either a pull start or kick or electric.
I like the utility ones that have 2 ways of starting.

400eXr1d3rZ
09-03-2006, 08:20 PM
You could you a peice of a 250x which would give you kickstart + electric.

rebelbuggy
09-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
You could you a peice of a 250x which would give you kickstart + electric.

oh yeah a 250x... humm what all would you need besides the driffren side plate the kick start the rod and....

probaly would be alot of work. but It would be neat.

bradley300
09-04-2006, 08:48 AM
you can go to honda of troy's website and see schematics of both quads and see everything you need. the right side side cover and side case will also need some machine work

madmandan11
09-04-2006, 08:51 PM
just pop start it everytime... its fun :ermm:

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by madmandan11
just pop start it everytime... its fun :ermm:

I have been but not always have a big hill

Ryanwolfe911
09-05-2006, 10:02 AM
I've tried to answer this many times before so here goes for the last time. (Not trying to flame anyone). You absolutley CANNOT use 250X kickstarter components ona 300ex bottome end. although they look similar, the machining on the inside of the inner case half is way different. Also, the crank shaft of a 300ex with much larger in diameter that a 250x, so there's no way to put a ring gear behind the clutch basket, that the kickstarter gear needs to engage into. They only way it would be done is with lots of custom parts and machine work. Trust me , I have spent alot of time researching and staring at both bottom ends, and it just can't be done . I know, It was pretty stupid of Honda to not have a backup kick starter, but Oh well. Oh I almost forgot about the decmpression mechanism that wold have to be tranfered over as well. Would be a nightmare.

rebelbuggy
09-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Ryanwolfe911
I've tried to answer this many times before so here goes for the last time. (Not trying to flame anyone). You absolutley CANNOT use 250X kickstarter components ona 300ex bottome end. although they look similar, the machining on the inside of the inner case half is way different. Also, the crank shaft of a 300ex with much larger in diameter that a 250x, so there's no way to put a ring gear behind the clutch basket, that the kickstarter gear needs to engage into. They only way it would be done is with lots of custom parts and machine work. Trust me , I have spent alot of time researching and staring at both bottom ends, and it just can't be done . I know, It was pretty stupid of Honda to not have a backup kick starter, but Oh well. Oh I almost forgot about the decmpression mechanism that wold have to be tranfered over as well. Would be a nightmare.

Sorry I never seen anyone ask that. I am new and just wondered if anyone had done it or could it be done... thanks for letting me know. Just wondered

gbcap
09-05-2006, 01:15 PM
if the battery is dead dead dead you can't always push start that either...

so that isn't always an option.

that is why i have a kick start...no worry about a dying battery

JJ69
09-05-2006, 01:31 PM
in the end it would probably end up being cheaper to buy a 250x motor and supe it to work better than a 300ex, in the 300 frame.

swampfoxsc
09-05-2006, 01:55 PM
So the 300EX crank won't work in a 250X bottom end then? If that's the case then what has to be done to get a 250X up to 350cc's? A 300EX can be bored to that size but I would assume the 250 needs a bore and stroke, correct?

I'm gonna race the Sport class in the GNCC's but I want a kick start. I was hoping I could put a 300EX crank and rod in a 250 bottom end but it doesn't look like that's gonna work.:confused:

I'm glad I haven't started buying on Ebay yet!:huh

Ryanwolfe911
09-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes you are correct, the 250x would need a bore and stroke to get to that displacement. I will post up some pics later of the inside case halves and both crankshafts to illustrate why it couldn't be done. The only way you could put a 300ex crank ina 250x bottom end is, and this is a huge thoretical maybe, is if the inside diameter of the crankshaft bearings were the same on both crankshafts. If that were the case , you could put 250x crank bearings on a 300ex crank. Chances are they are drastically different though, because the outside diameter of the 300ex bearing is almost twice that of the 250x. I would have to measure them with a inside3 micrometer to be sure. Kinda sux though, because I will have to pretty much ruin both sets of good bearings that I have on both crankshafts I have laying around. (You have to screw them all up to remove them) They're usually useless after being pressed off the crank journal.