PDA

View Full Version : Raptors = Junk!!!

300EX KING
08-29-2002, 06:23 AM
I cant stand the way everybody talks about how good the raptor is. The other day my friends raptor was ripping through a feild and all the sudden it started smoking and then it stopped.He got off and saw that the engine case was cracked and was squrting oil. The quad was never crashed, he just got it a month ago. The raptor is just plain crap.But i quess thats what happens when you buy a yammaha. My honda is still running strong.

08-29-2002, 07:17 AM
A lot of first year quads have problems, but the Craptor was an exceptional piece of crap. I had about 15 hours on mine and the clutch fried on it. I bent the stock axle on a very small jump, and the tranny was like rock candy. I hate to keep harping on it, but Yamaha really needs to do something about them. DO SOME RECALLING!!! I traded mine in on a Cannondale, and I could not be happier.

freakystone
08-29-2002, 08:07 AM
I picked up an auto trader the other day and saw the Chicago Cycle is advertising 2002 NEW Raptors for $4995 plus tax and prep. OTD for out of staters is $5350.00 NEW.

300EX KING
08-29-2002, 10:24 AM
Yeah i would take a cannondale over a raptor anyday. they look way better than a raptor and probably have the same if not more power. I think i would take a cannondale bicycle over a raptor,there probably built better.:D

own2424
08-29-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 300EX KING
Yeah i would take a cannondale over a raptor anyday. they look way better than a raptor and probably have the same if not more power. I think i would take a cannondale bicycle over a raptor,there probably built better.:D

Whoa! Dont go that far buddy...I would take a Raptor over a bicycle anyday! haha...:D

Str8Wicked
08-29-2002, 11:11 AM
I dunno... The second time I took my honda out I was fouling plugs all day. It was really embarrassing since all my friends knew I baught a honda because they were reliable.

Found out that my bike just runs very rich from factory...

Jimmah
08-29-2002, 11:18 AM
My buddy has had a raptor for a yr now and has had zero problems. He doesn't beat the thing but he doesn't baby it either. I love the power a piped and filter ones gives out but I still like my Hondas better.

Sick0
08-29-2002, 01:42 PM
My friends had alot of problems. Thing that should have not gone either. The thing are junk. They are fast and have alot of power.

I might take a bicycle over that raptor.

4punksdad
08-29-2002, 05:54 PM
my buddy has a 2001 raptor & he hasn't had any problems with it.

Guy400
08-29-2002, 06:42 PM
I had a 2001 with zero problems, sold it to my uncle and he still has it with zero problems. The real problem is worrying about something that MIGHT happen.

FullBore52
08-29-2002, 06:43 PM
We havent had any problems with ours...I cased a 25 foot double on it and didnt bend the axle...(I thought you guys said it was super weak??)

Leo
08-29-2002, 07:29 PM
my buddies '01 lost 2nd gear.. yamaha replaced it.. lost it again and they put a complete '02 lower end in for him.. been shifting good ever since..

my other buddies '01 tore the one way clutch for the starter out.. $300 in parts and he was good to go.. :(

you never really hear it mentioned anywere, but it seems to me about half the Raptors I've seen have problems with the one way clutch for the starter (noisy..)

I really wouldn't be to worried about buying an '02 they seem to have taken care of the big issues.. I'm just not into Yammy's..

Leo

08-29-2002, 11:02 PM
I am sure some people are happy with the Raptors they bought, but I did not abuse mine either, and the clutch should have lasted longer than 15 hours. I am glad I got rid of it though. My Cannondale is way better

2002 Cannondale Moto 440
Shockwears
2003 engine mapping:)

generalg
08-29-2002, 11:20 PM
mmm, so maybe I should just tear down my R and rebuild it this winter rather than trying to trade it for a raptor. This thread is really making me think twice.

airheadedduner
08-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by generalg
mmm, so maybe I should just tear down my R and rebuild it this winter rather than trying to trade it for a raptor. This thread is really making me think twice.

If you trade your R in on a raptor you need to be beat down on gerneral principal. J\K. I nearly did the same thing when I was having problems(and still am) with my R(lots of it rider inflicted). The 02' is an okay reliable machine. If I rode woods I probly would have bought one, narrow and lots of power.

New-400ex_guy
08-30-2002, 02:11 AM
my friend has one for 1 and half now and just had to put a new top end in it but at least the tranny hasnt blew up........yet.:blah

300EX KING
08-30-2002, 08:00 AM
Anybody who trades there R for a raptor needs to get checked out. I would take a 250r over a raptor in a heartbeat.

generalg
08-30-2002, 08:41 AM
The reason I have been thinking about trading the R for a Raptor is because of my size. The Raptor is taller and seems to fit me better since I'm 6'6". I guess if I come across a good deal I will just snag a Raptor and keep the R.

300EX KING
08-30-2002, 09:50 AM
Yeah i see what your saying. Just make sure the raptor isnt broken when you buy it.:) :) :)

MxDale71
08-30-2002, 12:14 PM
I'm about 6'2" or so, and I feel cramped on a R and EX. I love the fit and feel of my Cannibal though. The weird thing about my quad is that every problem I've had deals with one of the companies that Cannondale works with. So far the motor has been flawless, no computer problems, or anything like that, but the ITP wheels are WEAK, and I just blew out my rear Ohlins shock, and the stock FMF exhaust on this thing is friggin HUGE (I got the round one, not the toaster lookin one)!!! It's already hit my brake caliper plenty of times. I bet the baffle in the stock Cannibal exhaust is about as big as the entire stock exhaust on the Jap models.

honda250
08-30-2002, 06:21 PM
@@@@@use that language here again & you will be history@@@@@@ raptors are wonderful, the 01's did have tranny problems but yamaha fixed it.

08-31-2002, 06:09 PM
Hi

I have a '03 Raptor. I really like it. So far only 12 hours on it. The '01s had some major problems. I wouldn't suggest any one buy one of those. I bought my Raptor because Honda wasn't coming out with anything new and I didn't want a 16 year old 250r (ok, I would take one LOL)

09-01-2002, 12:27 PM
what language is offensive to you? I bet it is about as offensive as a 250EX.....lmao.....

4punksdad
09-01-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by justfine
what language is offensive to you? I bet it is about as offensive as a 250EX.....lmao.....

I removed the offensive language from the post before you saw it.

Castor-426ex
09-03-2002, 12:40 AM
somebody needs a spankin...:D

what are you thinking? sicko:D

lil400exman
09-03-2002, 05:02 AM
i tempted to look at a 02 raptor cause i ride trails i more and more needing reverse i was at haspin and man i about killed me self i i dont neeed that handling that the 40ex has but the reverse and get up the 660 has.............

R-Crazy
09-03-2002, 09:11 AM
lil400exman, looks like a Z400 would be a quad in your future if you want handling and reverse.
I have never ridden a raptor, but have sat on one and they are way too high. not for me.

dave

09-03-2002, 10:10 PM
The Raptor sits too high and weighs too much, plus it is so narrow that it tends to two-wheel. The suspension on it is really bad too. I would also look at the Cannibal. It is very fast. Comes with ITP rims, Holeshot tires, Magura Hydraulic clutch, FMF pipe, and ohlins shocks. It is lighter than all the competition and way faster. The Cannondale, like the Honda has no reverse though. Good luck deciding.

300EX KING
09-05-2002, 10:22 AM
Yeah and for a 660 you would think the power would be crazy. I rode it stock and it wasnt that impressive.It seemed kind of restricted to me.And it was definatly top heavy.

ratmotor99
09-11-2002, 08:46 PM
blown 2nd gear, engines , and i now hear that they are cracking frames.... RIDE RED

Rat

Sparky416ex
09-14-2002, 10:39 PM
Im goin to buy a new quad today..."oh i think i like this one cuz it has 660cc (biggest)...get it home and a 350cc banshee and a 416ccex beat me...the dealer failed to mention it has less horse"

Yamaha is into big cc numbers (so retards buy them) Honda is into big HP numbers (so smart people buy them).....thats really how it is most of the time

Sparky416ex
09-14-2002, 10:41 PM
ha

Ben
09-15-2002, 06:32 AM
So you are saying I am a retard for buying a Raptor? :o

Guy400
09-15-2002, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Sparky416ex
Im goin to buy a new quad today..."oh i think i like this one cuz it has 660cc (biggest)...get it home and a 350cc banshee and a 416ccex beat me...the dealer failed to mention it has less horse"

Yamaha is into big cc numbers (so retards buy them) Honda is into big HP numbers (so smart people buy them).....thats really how it is most of the time I don't know what some people except out of the Raptor. Just cause it's 660cc's they expect it to come from the factory with 75hp. It's a very well known fact that the Raptor is seriously detuned but has the potential to be a serious horsepower producer. I suppose the DS650 must suck too becuase it's only putting out a couple more horse than a Raptor.

And since when is Honda big into HP numbers?? The 250R was the least powerful of all the late 80's 2-stroke sport quads, the 400EX is the least powerful of all current day 4-stroke sport quads, the GSXR-1000 puts out as much power at the rear wheel that the 954RR makes at the crank, you get my point. To say Honda likes to pump out the biggest HP numbers is, well, wrong. Honda's notorious for scaling their engines back in the interest of reliability. While there's nothing wrong with this it's simply not true to say they go after big HP numbers.

Sparks425Ex
09-15-2002, 07:52 AM
I think raptors are pretty cool looking quads but i thikn that is all thye got going for them. I eamn yeah they have power but not that much. I know they will smoked a 400Ex but if it takes Yamaha to make a 660 to beat Hondas 400 that is sorta patetic. I mean if a 400Ex runs with a raptor then just think what a 650Ec woudl do to all sport quads if it was put in the right chassis. Which Honda will do.

I think they are pretty cool quad and if taken care of properly will run very good.

2k2-300exnj
09-15-2002, 12:16 PM
sure they have some problems as do many new bikes but u can fix that...
the only bad thing about them is handling if they handle good they can whoop a 400 in the woods just as bad as they do in a drag race but with a lot of mods on both bikes i think personally i raptor can beat a 416ex with all suspension mods
here is a few pix of my uncles raptor

2k2-300exnj
09-15-2002, 12:18 PM
roll design front end axis triple rate fully adjustable
and int he back a denton +4 swingarm with axis single rate fully adjustable flys!!!!

2k2-300exnj
09-15-2002, 12:19 PM
forgot the pic

2k2-300exnj
09-15-2002, 12:19 PM

Sick0
09-15-2002, 01:10 PM
I think the raptors are junk. Why with a quad with alot bigger engine a lot more travel can't beat a little 400ex.

PhResTyL28
09-15-2002, 04:51 PM
the raptor engine is detuned alot. it has alot more potential than a 400cc. if you mod both engines to there max, that raptor would eat it alive because of the displacement advantages and that nifty 5-valve head. raptors seat height is about 2 inches higher than a 400, i think it "feels" really tall cuz the plastics are raised up more, giving the illusion that the ground is further away. if the raptor is so crappy, how is it the #2 sport quad? only the z400 has beat it so far. the raptor is still faster to. any handling issues (not that it handles that much worse than a 400 or z) can be easily taken care of. i think the raptor has alot more potential over all than any other sport quad out there.

josh
09-15-2002, 08:38 PM
i'm gonna have to back up PhResTyL28 on that, the new z is a higer compression bike, which puts out nice power but it doesn't mean that it will have anywere near a 660's torque, torque and gearing are the things that really make up accell. on a drag, or high speed run, it's like comparing a modified import car to a stock big torquey domestic, they might be the same on speed but the domestic is right out of the factory, you mod the domestic and it could have enough torque to pick the front end up on a strip. don't try to compare a 400 vs. a 660 in class, i think yammaha really made that thing to compete with a bombardier and detuned it, making the world of modifications huge. I've seen a raptor with the susp geometry lowered and every modification part you can find for one beat a newly built 420 drag banshee that runs off alcohol and also has every mod you could find, and this craptor beat it by about 15 bike lengths up comp hill in glamis, some craptor huh, you guys think your 440's could compete with that, they make a 770 kit for this so called craptor

250x
09-15-2002, 10:40 PM
wow, machines breaking? thats wierd! my buddies light burned out in his fridge but mine didnt! his is junk!! my buddy got cancer & i dont. he is mexican & im german. mexicans must suck,germans must rule!my buddies 2003 navigator had an check engine light go on & my 76 pinto didnt, 03 navigators must suck, pintos must rule!!! :rolleyes:

Castor-426ex
09-15-2002, 10:44 PM
lmao thats about right

300EX KING
09-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Raptors suck.:blah

cannondale55
09-16-2002, 11:08 AM
right on but i like the looks of them

09-16-2002, 11:25 AM
Cannondale=good Raptor=junk

250x
09-16-2002, 07:49 PM
i see a few of you illinois, indiana riders. where do yall ride? im loosing riding partners lately. mainly due to those d*** snowmobiles.:devil

09-16-2002, 10:25 PM
In Galesburg. Come over anytime. Love to ride with new people.:D

250x
09-17-2002, 05:09 PM
do you just ride trails around your house? nobody runs you off? or do you have owners permission? my buddies & myself have stock pipes and gets chased off everyplace we ride!:confused:

09-17-2002, 05:16 PM
I have private land I can ride on, and I am a member of Galesburg Motorcycle Club, and I can be as loud as I want there. I can also ride anytime I want there. www.galesburgmc.com Check it out dude.....

Ben
09-17-2002, 05:20 PM
So can someone please tell me if I am a retard for buying a junky Raptor?? :eek:

Guy400
09-17-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by maoz
So can someone please tell me if I am a retard for buying a junky Raptor?? :eek: Here's the funny part, most people wouldn't choose the 400EX if they compared it to the competition. Take the 3 quads involved in this argument: 400EX, Z400 and Raptor. Put red plastic and Honda stickers on them all and remove anything that would identify them with their original manufacturers. Now, take 10 people and tell them that these 3 quads are Honda prototypes being considered for production but they need customer feedback. Have these 10 people ride the 3 for a week and give them their opinions. I bet, assuming that they thought all 3 quads were Honda's, 7 out of the 10 WOULD NOT choose the EX. Just goes to show that some people are so brand loyal it makes them blind to other options. My blood pumps Bowtie Blue but I'd own a '69 Boss Mustang in a second. I'd also own the previous generation of Ford F-150's (the new bodystyle does nothing for me however).

Ben, I wouldn't worry about it. These are the same people who have drooled over their keyboards for the last 3 years praying that this is the year of the new Honda sport quad that will crush all. The only trouble is every year their chubbers are turned to overcooked spaghetti when the announcement of another new utility hits the Net every year yet they still blindly follow. It's like a frog. You throw it into boiling water and it will hop out immediately. But, if you put it in cold water and slowly turn the heat up it will just sit there until it boils to death. It never realizes the water temperature is slowly rising...

250x
09-17-2002, 07:51 PM
i myself am not brand loyal, its just the raptor is so top heavy and tall. it tips too much in corners. but the power is great. i just need something that handles the corners better then the raptor. no bashing. and as far as the z400 and such they are just too new for me to trust, plus liquid cooling has been bad for me in the past. :confused:

250x
09-17-2002, 08:11 PM
looks like that galesburg is all dirt bikes? are quads allowed?

09-17-2002, 08:23 PM
Quads are welcomed. Seems that more quads are at the track than bikes on days without races....

Ben
09-18-2002, 07:21 AM
Thanks Guy - your comments are right on target. Surely you detected the sarcasim in my voice!! :D You know I am very happy with the ol' Raptor, I just can't wait to get to ride it a little more. You should come down to HM for a day this fall and we'll go riding. I am not brand loyal at all - I have had Hondas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, and Yamahas. Except when it comes to cars and trucks I am a Toyota man through and through :D

300EX KING
09-18-2002, 10:14 AM
I just think its sad that a cannondale with 430 sum odd cc's can go just as fast mabye faster than a 660. The cannondale puts out more power doesnt it? I think 4wheel atv action said it did, yeah thats not too embarassing.I dont know why people think its so cool. They walk into the show room and see 660 on the side of the quad and think whoa 660 no way that must be awsome, little do they know they are about to buy the biggest junk ever built. then you get those people who think it actually looks cool. i think its hands down the uglyiest quad ever.

Ben
09-18-2002, 10:46 AM
I think it is a shame that people can't just agree that quad riding is a great sport and not fight about what people ride. It would be incredibly boring and bad for the market if everyone rode the exact same quad. You are entitled to your own opinions though.

QuadTrix6
09-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Raptors on a MX Track make me Laugh...i love watching them go up on the side two wheels on turns...lol

QuadTrix6
09-18-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by maoz
I think it is a shame that people can't just agree that quad riding is a great sport and not fight about what people ride. It would be incredibly boring and bad for the market if everyone rode the exact same quad. You are entitled to your own opinions though.

whose fighting :D

Guy400
09-18-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix66
Raptors on a MX Track make me Laugh...i love watching them go up on the side two wheels on turns...lol I don't know what series you're watching but nearly every MX race I've gone to almost every quad at least had an axle and aftermarket suspension. With an axle and SSD suspension (necessary for true MX'ing) a Raptor won't tip like a stocker. H3ll, 2 weekends ago my cousin and I were out riding and I got off my LT with a Dominator axle (51" total width) and jumped on his stock chassis'd EX. I d@mn near rolled it going through a sharp 2nd gear corner. I was simply used to my wider quad and overestimated the handling of the EX.

Besides, the last race I was at Raptor's took 1st and 2nd in the Open class with a Shee in 3rd. Maybe the Raptor's in Ohio are faster or something:confused:

09-18-2002, 05:14 PM
Most people who bash the raptors have 400ex's and have never ridden a raptor, just my thoughts on this subject, raptors are great machines.

generalg
09-18-2002, 05:39 PM
I just aquired a Raptor yesterday. Traded my 86R for an 01 with updated tranny and many goodies listed in my signature. So far I'm very happy with the Raptor. It fits me better since I stand at 6'6" tall. Here is a pic of what it looks like when I recieved it.

300EX KING
09-19-2002, 05:52 AM
Well my friend, thats a very nice raptor now lets see how long it holds together.:D :D :D

09-19-2002, 06:51 AM
That is one of the best looking Raptors I have ever seen.

300EX KING
09-19-2002, 08:47 AM
Yeah and we all know how hard it is to find a good looking raptor.

Zuki
09-19-2002, 08:51 AM
Nice friggin bike bro!!!! Havent ridden one to bash it or praise it, but if it rides as well as it looks, ur set!:D

09-19-2002, 08:55 AM
I think Raptors are pretty nice looking. I just hated riding mine.......

300EX KING
09-19-2002, 08:57 AM
I roll raptors down big hills and watch them smash for fun.:devil