PDA

View Full Version : Weird YFZ Starting Problem-Help!

FoxRacing81
09-03-2006, 06:14 PM
Okay, I took the front plastics and the side panels and gas tank cover off the YFZ to clean it (last race was muddy as hell! :macho)
So, I get it as clean as it'll get, put everything back on, it fires right up, but spuddered at like mid throttle. So, I took it for a ride to see if it just needed warmed up or cleared out. Well, it didn't go away, so I was riding it around to see if I could maybe figure it out. Well, my dad stopped me to ask me a question, so I shut it off. Whenever I went to fire it back up, it sat there and it cranked over and I could smell gas and everything was right, but it would not fire. I pushed it back to the garage...
I tried everything. I took the airbox lid off, messed with my killswitch, put gas on reserve even though it looks like I have plenty, put airbox lid back on, wiggled some wires, put choke on/off/half. Nothing...

So then I tapped the carb with my hand, and it fired right up, idled fine, still spuddered at mid, but reved fully.
Just to make sure, I shut it off and start to restart, and the same thing happened. Cranked fine, but wouldn't fire. I even tapped the carb again, and it didn't help.
The quad didn't start...

Anyone know anything? I thought maybe a carb problem but I think if it was it wouldn't idle.

Please help me out.

Thanks,
Justin

FoxRacing81
09-04-2006, 09:01 AM
bump

FoxRacing81
09-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Okay, I got it to fire, but something is still messed up...

It will start whenever the machine is in neutral and I pull the clutch it. It fires right up.
It will NOT start in neutral without the clutch pulled in or anything. Basicly whenever it's in neutral and I hit the start button, it'll crank but won't fire.
And, whenever it is in gear with the clutch pulled in, it will not fire either.

Even after I start it with the clutch in, I can release the clutch and it'll sit and idle fine in neutral with no problems.

So, something has to be messed up with the wiring I guess, I just don't know what.

Also, it still spudders at mid throttle....carb cleaning maybe?

FoxRacing81
09-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Okay it won't even fire now. Somethings screwed up. My neutral light won't come on unless its running sometimes...I dunno...

wht4fitty
09-04-2006, 03:49 PM
check the wires under the hood from when u had everything removed. when the wires don't fully clip in that will give u serious trouble

FoxRacing81
09-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Everythings tight. I just took the front plastics off and checked the connections that I took apart, I checked a couple other connects, cleaned some of them, nothing....

When in neutral without having the clutch pulled in, I hit start button, and it cranks over very odd. Doesn't sound healthy at all.
But as soon as I pull the clutch in, it cranks fine, just doesn't start.

It will drift start without a problem though.

I guess it's going back to the dealer.

FoxRacing81
09-07-2006, 03:16 PM
I found a wire completely disconnected back by the battery. :confused: I have no idea why or how it got disconnected, but sure enough that fixed most of my problem.

It starts now in gear or neutral, clutch in or out.
But, whenever it is in neutral, it cranks over reallly weird, and something ticks by the battery. It'll still fire up fine, just really weird.

Oh well, I got it working, and I have a race tomorrow, so I'll check it out after that.

daddio
09-08-2006, 06:46 AM
It sounds like you drained the battery trying to start it previously. Give it a good charge with a battery charger.
Good luck this weekend.