PDA

View Full Version : Shock Rebuilding????

250RGUY
09-03-2006, 05:43 PM
The R I bought has Worcs tripple rate with rezzi's set up for a skinny guy(185lb rider). I'm 6 foot 220 and i'm botteming this thing out. Where is the cheapest/best place to send them in PA? What about the rebuilt/set up for racing, rear shock? Will that have to go back to the person who built it? I need to set this bike up for a grown man.

ERBE
09-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Back to Works, they revalve and get you 220 lbs springs, you will need to call them on pricing.

250RGUY
09-05-2006, 10:37 AM
WORKS Is in California. Do I really have to send these things all the way to Cali? Nobody else on the planet rebuilds Works shocks? Thanks for the help but i'm hoping your wrong.

ERBE
09-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Best I can tell you is Call around, Works sells to other MFG's I was looking into time and money, they have all items on the shelf, what you can do is if you know someone that rebuild the shocks, is to order the valving and the springs pre done and add a rebuild seal kit, it will ship with in 1 to 2 days and have yoru local guy put it al together, thats what I did, I hade to Modify my Shock bodies and have them powder coated.

DPR250R
09-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Have you set your preload properly?

Have you set your clickers?

If you have and you are still not happy call Works and see what springs they recommend for your weight. You can replace them yourself and I think you will be happy.

A Re-valve and re-charge is a waste of time/money if you do not have the proper spring rate.

250RGUY
09-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Nope, I have never had a set of aftermarket shocks in my life.

DPR250R
09-05-2006, 11:59 AM
I would start by setting your sag/preload and turn your clickers to the stock positions.

Do some research or contact Works to see what your starting point is. (standard sag setting)

Work from there and make small adjustments at a time.

250RGUY
09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Is any of this possible with the rebuilt, set up for racing, rear shock? Also does anyone know where I can find directions for these adjustments, I checked Works website and found nothing.

BLACKeR
09-05-2006, 09:12 PM
i wouldnt send them back to works, i think works shocks come from the factory kinda junky. i woudl try something more custom. if you had the money for it. santo derisi is supposed to be good, dont know how his MX valving is since he is more of an XC guy. i think the quad shop does re-valving. ask some of the site sponcers if they do it. you shouldnt have to send them out to cali.

250RGUY
09-06-2006, 04:37 AM
I ride XC only but I'm not looking to spend a fortune. Just built a house, got married, and i'm probably having a kid soon so money is tight. The price to have them rebuilt at works isn't bad but I'm going to try and set them up better before I just send them away.

KYmxracer52
09-06-2006, 05:20 AM
All you really have to do is just buy stiffer springs for them. The revalve will just be a waste of money. You can order directly from Works, or I suggest that you just call up C&D Racing (site sponsor) and they can get you the right springs. And really, you would only need MAIN spring, not the little ones. That's the one that it really comes down to. Those run around $35 each, give or take a couple dollars.

DPR250R
09-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by 250RGUY
Is any of this possible with the rebuilt, set up for racing, rear shock? Also does anyone know where I can find directions for these adjustments, I checked Works website and found nothing.

Yes it is possible....

I am no suspension pro... but a lot of times I hear guys complaining about suspension and they have not done anything but slapped on what the shock maker sent to them (AXIS, Elka... whoever). It takes time set up your suspension the way you like it... some guys are never satisfied and are always messing around with adjustments.

It is kind of tough to explain online but I will try to lay out the basics...

You want to set up your quad so that the front and rear sit at the proper hieght WITH you on it. This is accomplished by having the proper spring rate set with the proper preload. (You want the valving in the right part of the stroke).

You should either have collars or lock rings compressing your springs. Adjust these to increase or decrease the preload on the springs. Take note of a starting point and move in either direction while paying attention to whether you are improving the ride or makeing it worse.

You want the suspension to be balanced. Remember... everything you do to one end effects the other. Raising the rear makes the front softer... rasing the front makes the rear softer.... etc...

I can't recommend a standard ride hieght because there are too many different shock makers.... (AXIS recommends starting with the lower part of the chassis level at 8 inches)

Clicker settings are totally up to you.... I would once again start with the clickers in the middle and start adjusting wither way... paying attentoin to the effects it has on your ride...

Suspension is about what you feel is best... someone else can tell you where to start but in the end you need to try to perfect it for your needs.

There so much more but hopefully this will get you started...

321racer
09-07-2006, 08:00 AM
i sent my shocks to BCS Performance in mass
www.bcsperformance.com
he does a great job fast and cheap!

cook65xc
09-09-2006, 10:05 PM
6 foot 220 what a monster you are.Send your shocks to gt thunder he will hook you up.From the 12YEAROLD who sold you the bike:devil: :devil:

number5
09-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Call this guy. I have been dealing with him for years now. He is not like the big companies that are short with you and just want your money. I have called him several times from a race after practice to get set up tips and he is right on every time. I have done buisness with works and got the run around. Any way he rebuilds my axis with synthetic fluid everytime and they work great.

CALL SHANE FOR SHOCK SERVICE (219) 313-1424 Call Shane if you have suspension questions or problems. http://wolfpackracing.com/

250RGUY
01-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks everyone.