PDA

View Full Version : Not sure which truck to buy...

hondardr4life
09-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Ok, I am currently looking at 2 trucks for my first vehicle. One is a 1996 silverado 1500 z71 with a 3 inch body lift, 32/11.50/16 tires, american racing rims, dual exhausts, visor, bug sheild, bed liner, fiberglass bed cover, and a torque converter. The asking price on it is $5500 and it has a 5.7 vortec 150,000 miles. The other truck is a 2001 silverado 2500hd with a cap, and running boards. It has a 6.0 vorte with 92,000 miles and it will most likely cost 7-8 grand (its my grandpas truck). Now I know the 2001 has less miles, is newer, and looks better. The main thing that i am concerned about at the moment is that the 6.0 gets downright aweful gas milage, and that truck has no aftermarket stuff. The 1996 i can probablly get for 5 grand and has all the fun aftermarket stuff, and already has good tires on it. My dad has a 2003 silverado lt crew cab thats loaded with the 6.6 durmax, and he plans on selling it in 3 years, so either one of these trucks i buy, I will only have for about 3 years.......

heres a pic of the 96 off of my phone....

stalefish_132
09-03-2006, 04:17 PM
the 6L 's can get decent gas milage, ours has goten up to 21mpg on the highway, around town its about 15-16. it really depends on how you drive it. plus you add a electric fan dual exhaust and you gain a few mpg's. and you have ot take into account of what will the 96 sell for in a few years and what will the 01 sell for. that 96 sounds like it would be a awesome truck but the gas milage in it will be less than any 6L. plus the 6L's go good with a few mods... can you say hemi eater:blah:

Giz400ex
09-03-2006, 04:21 PM
I would go for the 2001! It's 5 years newer and at least you know how the truck been treated. As for mpg, your not gonna find a big difference, maybe better with the 6.0. The 2001 is gonna be worth more down the road versus the 1500.

09-03-2006, 06:41 PM
My 2000 2500 has the 6.0 and I get OK gas milage.Go with the newer vehicle with less miles for only 2 grand more.In 3 years buy your dads truck.Also that 96 is kinda ugly.What does the 01 look like.Sounds like the 01 is a better deal and you know who had it before you.I wouldn't buy a lifted truck EVER they get annoying to drive daily.Thats why my 2000 Chevy 2500 4x4 is my lifted truck and my 06 GMC 2500 is my daily driver/work truck.

firefighterjosh
09-04-2006, 03:00 AM
Get a FORD:blah:

My friend had a Z71 95 exactly like the 96 you showed and he got 220,000 out of it. It still ran we just deicied to drop a 350 carb engine into it:D It is now a mudder truck.

NorCalRacer
09-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Get the '96, no question. It is ten times the truck of the 2001. Alot less to worry about and that engine/tranny will last forever. In my opinion, the best trucks checy ever made were from '96-'98, you can't even buy one around here. I mean, NOT for sale. I know a guy that had been looking on and off for six months because the people that get them will never let them go, if you can get one, go for it.:devil:

armoks
09-04-2006, 06:34 PM
I just sold my 2001 HD with the 6.0 to get my duramax. Is you're grandpa's truck and extened cab? if so it will have the four doors. The 6.0 will out power the 5.7 hands down and you will be getting the stronger higher level tranny.

BTW the trade-in value I got out of my HD was $13,000 it had 85,000 miles on it. I had 285/75-16's on it, didn't need a lift just cranked the torsions a little bit.

The bad side was it only got 11.5 mpg but thats because I have a solid lead foot LOL. I say go with the HD you'll be happier in the long run.

Hondadudeehhhh
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
neither truck is going to get good gas mileage, the 96 may do just as bad. Trust me, when it comes to used vehicles buy from someone you know. Not only that but your grandpa's truck has less than 100,000 miles on it. I would not hesitate on getting the 2001 if i was you.

LTZ400rider
09-04-2006, 11:50 PM
id get the hd, 150k miles on the z71? im sure you will have a truck without an engine very soon! then it will be worth nothing. get the 01 and when u get the duramax u can sell the 01 and it will actually be worth something

Rastus
09-05-2006, 12:21 AM
I vote newer also.

The newer will have a whole lot more value to it when you go to sell it, and it has the heavier running gear.

Tires.., eh, they wear off eventually anyways so it's not a big deal. :)

firefighterjosh
09-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Just to let you know Durmax's are junk. Ppl are going to blow up on me but, the aluminum heads and stuff melt down after alot of use and have problems. A deisel company in my area tested the new Desile engines from various companys, Cummins, Powerstroke, blah blah blah, and the Duramax melted down just before 200k miles while the other trucks were all cooking along

Just my .02

MOFO
09-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by NorCalRacer
Get the '96, no question. It is ten times the truck of the 2001. Alot less to worry about and that engine/tranny will last forever. In my opinion, the best trucks checy ever made were from '96-'98, you can't even buy one around here. I mean, NOT for sale. I know a guy that had been looking on and off for six months because the people that get them will never let them go, if you can get one, go for it.:devil:

The 2001 2500HD will yank the frame out of the old 96 1500...

They both do not get good gas mileage... the difference would be very minimal - maybe 2-3mpg at the most. Go with the 2001 2500!

underpowered
09-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by NorCalRacer
Get the '96, no question. It is ten times the truck of the 2001. Alot less to worry about and that engine/tranny will last forever........

yes and no. the engine, yes the 350 was one of teh best if not the best engine ever produced by GM. the tranny was not however. if the tranny has not been rebuilt in that truck expect to rebuilt it in the three years you are gonna have it.

I would get the '01. i love teh looks of those trucks and the 6.0 actually doesn't do half bad on gas. it would get about the same mileage as teh 5.7 and have tons more power. it is just a better truck in most ways, excpecially if you plan on towing with it.

MOFO
09-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Just to let you know Durmax's are junk. Ppl are going to blow up on me but, the aluminum heads and stuff melt down after alot of use and have problems. A deisel company in my area tested the new Desile engines from various companys, Cummins, Powerstroke, blah blah blah, and the Duramax melted down just before 200k miles while the other trucks were all cooking along

Just my .02

You full of crap. :rolleyes:

Give me an example, better yet, give me a picture of a duramax that has melted down. You obviously have no idea what your talking about. Please stop spreading lies and trash.

I know plenty of guys that have Duramax's with well over 200k and have had very little issues!

NorCalRacer
09-05-2006, 09:19 AM
I still would take the older one, I'd trust it a hundred times more.

firefighterjosh
09-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
You full of crap. :rolleyes:

Give me an example, better yet, give me a picture of a duramax that has melted down. You obviously have no idea what your talking about. Please stop spreading lies and trash.

I know plenty of guys that have Duramax's with well over 200k and have had very little issues!

When I get to work tonight I will post the evidence

Camaroguy87132
09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
As much as i love OBS chevys. I would go with the 01. The 6.0 is a great, fast motor. If you got the 96, i would take off the visor and bug guard. It don't look right on that truck. If you need more info, and you want a better response to this question. Go to www.fullsizechevy.com and tell them camaroguy87132 told you about this site :blah:

Plus, with your grandpas truck, you know that he took care of it and drove it nice. With the 96 you don't know who had it and what they did to it.

stalefish_132
09-05-2006, 11:45 AM

Just my .02

the person you talked to is oviously a ford fan because there are hundred's if not thousands of duramax's with over 200K and still running strong, very strong. plus who else has a transmission than will last for 200K? the allison auto. its the best automatic in any of the big 3 diesel pickups. even if there are a few early 01-02 duramax's that had injector problems, injector's for the druamax are around $1200. where as ford injectors alot more. allso which pickup gets the best mpg's out iof all 3? humm its the duramax, and which one gets best mpg under load? also the duramax. you talk about aluminumm heads melting down? what a joke do you actually think that GM would send out heads that melt like butter? maybe if the EGT's are around 2000F. get a life.

JJ69
09-05-2006, 12:59 PM
if your looking at gas mileage.. dont buy either lol.
get an s-10 or a Ranger.. Fords are better anyways
but an s-10 or ranger will haul your atv, a load of wood, anything you wanna throw at it, and its easier on gas.. get a 4 cyl or a v6..

if money is not an issue and you dont really care for gas mileage, then go for the 96.

firefighterjosh
09-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Here is some stuff....I have more if needed

Ford has had there problems and so has my friends Cummins. My friends Cummins though just dynoed at 512HP and 1,000+ lbs tourque. He has been through a engine and 3 head gaskets. But the Aluminum Isuzu (however spelled) heads on teh duramx are known to warp/blow head gaskets when under towing pressure.

http://www.rvadventurevideos.com/chevy.html

Re: Duramax Diesel
Date: 07 Jan 2002
Hi, thanks for reading my web site. I was actually surprised by the problems of the Duramax. And most of the problems were from people pulling workloads. I’ve also heard good things from people pulling smaller RV fifth wheels. I expected head and head gasket problems with the aluminum head. But Duramax owners have told me about, broken crankshafts, blown head gaskets, broken front shocks, broken front stabilizer links, replacing front ball joints, starting problems, entire fuel systems replaced, etc. For some Duramax owners, the tow truck has become an accessory. I like the technology behind the Duramax and Allison 1000. GM has some great ideas in this new combination. As soon as dependability catches up with the technology, I’ll stop *****ing about them. These are my opinions from my research, reviews and interviews; the softer stuff comes from magazines that get the big advertising from manufactures. I would love to hear more good stories from anyone out there about their Duramax or Allison 1000. Anyone out there have a 8.1L V-8 gas engine with the Allison 1000? The nice thing about any of the new diesels is the 5-year or 100,000 warranty. If you have the time, it shouldn’t cost anything to fix the Duramax for a while. Gosh, time for another cup of coffee. Please let me know how your new Duramax works for you. You should get a good price on an ordered truck; it doesn’t cost the dealer interest or floor plan. It should be like $1000 over invoice. Good Truck’n. MT

96lapis coupe
09-05-2006, 08:03 PM
These are my opinions lol, one guy gets a lemon and makes a crappy web site to whine about his truck and every duramax is junk? give me a break:huh

armoks
09-05-2006, 08:24 PM
Man that guy said a mouthfull, first he drove a truck he knew he had a service engine light on while pulling a trailer(BTW it doesn't say how big the trailer was) then he said it was low on coolant and still drove it from cali to michigan, hmmm He also said at one time he had to wait till parts came from CUBA????HUH hate to tell him that we have sactions against Cuba nad NOTHING gets shipped through there. man he sounds too gullable for my blood.

stalefish_132
09-05-2006, 10:49 PM
yeah really if the thing was low on coolant then yeah the aluminumm heads are going to warp when the temp's get up there.
its one thing to have problem's and complain on the internet, but its annother thing to complain abotu the problem's that you've brought upone yourself.

i've heard story's of guys frying their allison's at a 100K, but you ask them how often they changed their tranny fluid and they say never well thats your problem right there. with the allison tranny filter and fluid change is required every 40,000K. you don't change it and yeah its going to go out.

i've heard of a few bottom ends going out in the duramax's in -10F weather with no block heater. at that temp the oil is so think that it takes a long time for it to reach the main bearings let alone valve train. allmost any engine would have trouble in that kind of weather.

MOFO
09-06-2006, 04:03 AM
Here is some stuff....I have more if needed

Ford has had there problems and so has my friends Cummins. My friends Cummins though just dynoed at 512HP and 1,000+ lbs tourque. He has been through a engine and 3 head gaskets. But the Aluminum Isuzu (however spelled) heads on teh duramx are known to warp/blow head gaskets when under towing pressure.

http://www.rvadventurevideos.com/chevy.html

Re: Duramax Diesel
Date: 07 Jan 2002
Hi, thanks for reading my web site. I was actually surprised by the problems of the Duramax. And most of the problems were from people pulling workloads. I’ve also heard good things from people pulling smaller RV fifth wheels. I expected head and head gasket problems with the aluminum head. But Duramax owners have told me about, broken crankshafts, blown head gaskets, broken front shocks, broken front stabilizer links, replacing front ball joints, starting problems, entire fuel systems replaced, etc. For some Duramax owners, the tow truck has become an accessory. I like the technology behind the Duramax and Allison 1000. GM has some great ideas in this new combination. As soon as dependability catches up with the technology, I’ll stop *****ing about them. These are my opinions from my research, reviews and interviews; the softer stuff comes from magazines that get the big advertising from manufactures. I would love to hear more good stories from anyone out there about their Duramax or Allison 1000. Anyone out there have a 8.1L V-8 gas engine with the Allison 1000? The nice thing about any of the new diesels is the 5-year or 100,000 warranty. If you have the time, it shouldn’t cost anything to fix the Duramax for a while. Gosh, time for another cup of coffee. Please let me know how your new Duramax works for you. You should get a good price on an ordered truck; it doesn’t cost the dealer interest or floor plan. It should be like $1000 over invoice. Good Truck’n. MT

Just what I thought... no example of what you stated... just internet hearsay... no personal experience with the truck.... no photo's... no repair bills stating the heads melted...etc etc etc. Just an internet article where the guy had a lemon and overheated the motor. Want me to dig up info about Ford or Dodge? Each truck will have their share of lemons - trust me, its not hard to find those cases. Does that mean they make junk? NO.

... I'm done feeding you troll.

:rolleyes:

firefighterjosh
09-06-2006, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
Just what I thought... no example of what you stated... just internet hearsay... no personal experience with the truck.... no photo's... no repair bills stating the heads melted...etc etc etc. Just an internet article where the guy had a lemon and overheated the motor. Want me to dig up info about Ford or Dodge? Each truck will have their share of lemons.

... I'm done feeding you troll.

:rolleyes:

Well since no one seems to know much about the Duramax, I figured somone around here would know something about them and could back me up. I will find the email address of the local diesel shop that did the test and have them email me what there findings are. I don't know exactly how I am suppose to prove this. I do not own a diesel but I am a huge diesel fan and my friends drag race diesel trucks. I hear the same thing at the the events, The aluminum heads warp on the duramaxes. I am not saying that Power stroke or Cummins is better, but the Duramax does have a bad rap.

LTZ400rider
09-06-2006, 05:27 AM
Well since no one seems to know much about the Duramax, I figured somone around here would know something about them and could back me up. I will find the email address of the local diesel shop that did the test and have them email me what there findings are. I don't know exactly how I am suppose to prove this. I do not own a diesel but I am a huge diesel fan and my friends drag race diesel trucks. I hear the same thing at the the events, The aluminum heads warp on the duramaxes. I am not saying that Power stroke or Cummins is better, but the Duramax does have a bad rap.

the duramax is probaly the best diesel out there right now, if you read diesel power mag you will know what im talking about.

most power, best tranny, most comfortable interior, quietest engine, i dont think it towed the most weight but the numbers were damn close enough.

let me guess this duramax is your neighbors, uncles, ex wifes cousins truck?

btw this is coming from a ford guy

armoks
09-06-2006, 10:12 AM
http://www.dieselplace.com

I did my research before I bought my Duramax and hands down best diesel out there.

HB416EX
09-06-2006, 11:20 AM
This guy isn't even buying a diesel.My buddy has a 06 Duramax 2500 that is set up as a tow truck(tow cars) 30,000 miles his transmission went out.GM replaced it no problem it was a freak thing from the factory.I believe Duramax are the best diesels out there with Powerstroke a close second.

ilpadrino113
09-06-2006, 03:33 PM
weather the duramax meslts or not, the kid is looking into a gas truck between 2 chevy's so whatever bull***** yer spreadin he doesn't care about.

trick450r
09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
i dont care what anyone says, the dmax is an awsome motor...and this is coming from someone who drives a 97' powerstroke lol

firefighterjosh
09-06-2006, 06:29 PM
I emailed a local diesel machanic he says the heads have been known to warp after alot of heavy use. This is due to heat build up. In 2004 - 2005 they have fixed most the problems with that but now there having vavle bodie problems and small tranmission issues.

I am not saying the other diesels are alot better, but this is what I have heard.

All my friends own Fords, Dodge, and Chevy. The most reliable one I have found is prally the Power-stroke. The Fastest most powerful is prally the Duramax. My fiends cummins has been rebuilt, new turbo, injectors...ect, So it is out of the question for comparison.

I am accually a Cummins Fan. I do not like Power Chokes.

Giz400ex
09-06-2006, 07:30 PM

I am accually a Cummins Fan. So am I:D I wish they would put it in a different truck though! The motor will outlast anything else on the truck. I own a Ram myself (not a diesel) but there trannies, the body........everything kinda blows. I did hear there getting better but I'll make the decision when I own a newer one. Right now its a 2001:)

firefighterjosh
09-06-2006, 07:38 PM
Buying a Dodge is like buying a Cummins in a really expensive Crate:p

LTZ400rider
09-07-2006, 11:28 PM
i like the cummins engine just because it looks easy to work on

cummings engine, allison tranny, ford f250 body

dream truck

Martin Blair
09-08-2006, 06:53 AM
I have a the 5.3 in my 00' silverado, my dad has the 6.0 in his hd, and we get nearly the same gas milage. I would go with the hd, if you can afford it. It prolly gets better miles then the old 5.7

Rastus
09-08-2006, 02:15 PM
This is just my opinion..., but does anyone else think it would be cool if GM used a new CAT engine? :cool:

Also, I had heard of early D'Maxs having head problems, but everything new that comes out has problems. I'm sure they fixed it soon after.

Not changing or checking fluids and ignoring regular maintenance periods will certainly speed up things breaking. :scary:

Giz400ex
09-08-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Rastus
This is just my opinion..., but does anyone else think it would be cool if GM used a new CAT engine? :cool: I'm not sure now but I know they did in there heavier trucks (single and double axles trucks).

Pro400EXC
09-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Sorry there Firechief..but umm...

YOUR WRONG

I have 300K miles on my 03 Duramax.

And I am always hooked to a trailer..and my foot is always to the floor. ALWAYS

I have never changed my tranny fluid,just the spin on filters. I also have had a programmer hooked to it since 100K miles.

So please don't tell em about 1 or 2 problmes and say they are all like that...cause its..sniff sniff..BULL CHIT

hondardr4life
09-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Sorry guys, I havent been on in a while.... I just read through the whole thread, and its mainly turned into a diesel battle. I stand behind the duramax 100%. My dad's got 145k on his 03 and its still runnin like brand new. Now back on topic, my grandpa took his truck to the dealer to get it appraised and they told him with that many miles its worth between 7,500 and 9,500 and since his has all the options, ect... and its in great shape theyd give him 9,500, maybe more depending on what car he would buy off them. And they said that they would put it on the lot for $13,000. So he told me that he wants $8,500 from me for it. I think thats the truck that i am goign to go with. And to whoever asked if it was ext. cab, yes, it is. I know that its a 4 door. I 'll have to put all of the fun aftermarket stuff on it that I want though. First off it needs a bug sheild, bed liner, and a tonneau cover. It has a leer cap on it right now, but I hate caps with a passion, so that HAS to go.... Then it needs tires before we get too far into winter, so I'll prolly go with a set of 33/12.5/16's and throw a 3 inch body lift on it. And at some point in time its definetly getting a nice set of duals, cold air intake, and a programmer.........

armoks
09-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Cool choice, The 33/12.50 16's will fit without a lift. Crank you're torsions and a set of +2 shocks they will fit right under there. I had that same setup ion my 01 and I loved it! I'll try to find a pic for ya.

armoks
09-09-2006, 08:57 AM
here it is.

hondardr4life
09-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Wow that looks great! The one im buying in dark forest metallic green... Will it be cheaper to get a 3 inch body lift, or do what you said with the shocks?? I won't have much money to work with...

Martin Blair
09-11-2006, 07:06 AM
GM puts CAT C-7s in the commercial trucks, like the kodiak, which you can bolt a 8ft silverado bed on a single axle :)

armoks
09-11-2006, 05:30 PM
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/

He has good deals on the Bilistiens just tell him what you have done with it. When I did my first truck a shop did it and all was done on one price out the door so I couldn't tell you how much. But I was told all 4 shhocks should be between 250 and 300.

Im not a fan of body lifts so I would push you to towards suspention.

you can also go to fullsizechevy.com they will have plenty of answers on this same stuff.

RidinRed420
09-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Ok, I am currently looking at 2 trucks for my first vehicle. One is a 1996 silverado 1500 z71 with a 3 inch body lift, 32/11.50/16 tires, american racing rims, dual exhausts, visor, bug sheild, bed liner, fiberglass bed cover, and a torque converter. The asking price on it is $5500 and it has a 5.7 vortec 150,000 miles. The other truck is a 2001 silverado 2500hd with a cap, and running boards. It has a 6.0 vorte with 92,000 miles and it will most likely cost 7-8 grand (its my grandpas truck). Now I know the 2001 has less miles, is newer, and looks better. The main thing that i am concerned about at the moment is that the 6.0 gets downright aweful gas milage, and that truck has no aftermarket stuff. The 1996 i can probablly get for 5 grand and has all the fun aftermarket stuff, and already has good tires on it. My dad has a 2003 silverado lt crew cab thats loaded with the 6.6 durmax, and he plans on selling it in 3 years, so either one of these trucks i buy, I will only have for about 3 years.......

heres a pic of the 96 off of my phone....

My first truck was a 95' GMC 1500 z71 with the 305 in it.. It was a sweet little truck, and I miss her alot.. But she was old and got pretty ****ty milage, averaging 11 mpg when she had 170K.. I traded that in for an 01' GMC 2500HD with the 8.1.. That truck was sick.. But I was getting only a little better milage, about 12mpg.. So I traded her in for an 01' GMC Duramax... Which is yet again another sweet truck. And I am averaging 19 mpg living in Boston..

If you think the 6.0 gets aweful milage, I'd say you prolly don't want a truck at all... My friend has an 03' Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 and he's averaging 17mpg, which is good for a 3/4 ton truck... I'd say a 96' 1500 with 150K on it isn't doing any better than that.. and its prolly getting worse milage.

So if its fuel consumption you are worried about, the 6.0 is prolly a better choice... Plus you get to choose your own aftermarket materials... and its capabilities are far greater..

Stevie-D
09-12-2006, 03:21 PM
keep in mind that people dont usually lift a truck and drive it nice. same goes for lowering a truck. all of the lifted trucks i've seen around here and when i was looking to buy one were beaten.
take me for example.. i beat the balls off of my truck on the road. i'm lifting it so i can beat the balls off of it even more off road!
so future notice...dont buy a truck off of me:devil: i take good care of my vehicles, but they definately take a beating:devil: a lift is going to put stress of various parts of the truck. not necessarily a body lift though..
there are exeptions though. just look it over really well. if it seems to have been taken care of well..i'd say go for it.

firefighterjosh
09-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Rastus

Also, I had heard of early D'Maxs having head problems, but everything new that comes out has problems. I'm sure they fixed it soon after.

Thank you, Someone else that has heard about this.

hondardr4life
09-13-2006, 04:31 AM
I agree on going suspension over a body lift, but I thought i was going to be much more expensive.... I will definetly look into that. I've been looking around in the paper and online, and most 01/02 2500hd ext. cabs are like 12000-14000, so I would be retarted not to buy it for 8,500. I will just have to get over the gas it sucks. A nice flowmaster 50 series big block muffler with a set of custom bent duals should help a little.:devil:

hondardr4life
09-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Another quick question.... Will I be able to fit the 33/12.5/16's on stock Chevy rims?? They are the nice polished aluminum rims (the higsest grade rims you can get stock) And will they look right??

Pro400EXC
09-14-2006, 06:33 PM
stock rims are 8in wide..

doubt it...

10.50's maybe

hondardr4life
09-15-2006, 04:24 AM
Oh well... I like aftermarket rims better anyways.....

armoks
09-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Stock rims are 6.5" wide on the 2500HD's and 7 inches wide on the 3500HD's those tires will fit but you will lose capacity because they will bulge out. the 285/75 16 sze tire is very close to the 33's you described and ft fine on the stock rims.

Pro400EXC
09-15-2006, 03:26 PM
whoops..

yes 6.5in wide...not 8,lol