PDA

View Full Version : X-4 vs HMF Slip On

NxtGenCowboy
09-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Whats up Everyone,

I've been looking around for a decent ATV forum. And I finally found this one!!

Anyway,

I have a 02 Honda 300ex that I've been just messing around with, but now I just want to get a lil more gain out of it. Its completely stock as of right now.

I have to decide between the K&N or the UNI filter as well.

But the main problem is that
I cannot decide between a Curtis Sparks
X-4 Full System and the Combination of a HMF SLip On w/ White Brothers Header.

I've been reading anything I can to try and learn and see what other people are saying.

I love the look of the RED HMF Pipe, but the all Ceramic that looks like Polished Alumium isnt bad at all. I do not have any rust on my quad and I'd like to keep it that way.

What do yall think I should do?

The Picture is from the day I bought it, still in the older owners Garage.

I bought both the 250ex and 300ex that day :) Not bad for 5g. both with less that 50 hrs on each :)

400eXr1d3rZ
09-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Curtis Sparks is one of the top-of-the-line exhaust pipes, I highly reccomend it.

For the airfilter, if you ride in wet muddy terrains, a foam filter is reccomended, it works better with that type of riding. If you ride in wet muddy places get UNI, if you ride in dusty places, I'd reccomened K&N with the Outerwear.

Welcome to the site. :)

elementryder
09-03-2006, 03:09 PM
what are you goinr for looks or performance because tom carlson makes no dought the best pipe for a 300ex he dont have much of a web site you have to call there are more of them in the national 300ex class than any other pipe and sparks is next after tc
www.tcracingengines.com

400eXr1d3rZ
09-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by elementryder
what are you goinr for looks or performance because tom carlson makes no dought the best pipe for a 300ex he dont have much of a web site you have to call there are more of them in the national 300ex class than any other pipe and sparks is next after tc
www.tcracingengines.com

Don't you have that black/orage quad? Can you PM me pics? I love that quad :D

NxtGenCowboy
09-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks!!!!

Im still looking for input,

I ride mostly both places.. lol

But I'd say more Dusty cause of the trails been really loose dirt and sand mixture.

TC racing? Never even heard of them

NxtGenCowboy
09-04-2006, 02:19 AM
Anyone?

elementryder
09-04-2006, 05:27 PM

elementryder
09-04-2006, 05:42 PM

Bigun55
09-05-2006, 10:06 AM
If it were me i would go with the curtis sparks.

Dr89
09-05-2006, 01:16 PM
if i were you i would without a doubt get the hmf/white bros. combo, the full system that way is only gonna run you about $320. from what i gather your a trail rider? the tc and curtis pipes are amazing performance pipes but without a built engine i'd save some money and go hmf. i had that set up on my old 300 and loved it, great power and sounded even better!! i've also had twin air, uni, and k&n filters, twin air is my favorite but you arent going to notice any amount of difference between any of them, they all give about the same hp gains. i'd get a foam one though if your gonna mainly stick to the trails.

NxtGenCowboy
09-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Yes I do mostly trail ridding and the ocassional mud that is on the trails or creek that has to be passed.

400eXr1d3rZ
09-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I say get curtis sparks, if sound is an issue for you than they made quietcores now, also Supertrapp makes a disc-styled endcap to quiet it down.

elementryder
09-05-2006, 06:43 PM
a tc shorty is what youd want its a bottom end pipe tom carlson is no ameture engine builder hes been building them since people even started racing 4-wheelers in 1995 he built the top 10 engines in the youth production class

Dr89
09-05-2006, 06:57 PM
yep tc makes some good chit,.,.,just depends on how much you want to spend and wht you have in mind for future mods. i loved my hmf/white bros tho and i didnt have to jump threw hoops to by one like you might run into with some of the more private/personal businesses. with the three pipes mentioned on this thread you really cant go wrong at all.

NxtGenCowboy
09-06-2006, 06:01 AM
I will probably go with the combo cause I like the red pipe, unless I can find a tc or x-4 for a good price.

Its 400 for x-4 and right around 320 for the hmf and white bros pipe.

So I'm not seeing the extra 80 bucks anywhere in upgrading. Does anyone else

bwamos
09-06-2006, 07:05 AM
I'd reccomend, for a nearly stock motor, a HMF slip-on w/ FMF head pipe. The WB head pipe has an ok bend to it.. but the FMF's bend is a bit better.

Obviously my opinion. Either header is fine, I jstu like the FMF header a bit better.

NxtGenCowboy
09-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Yea I really don't plan on doing 2 much more to the engine. Maybe change the lil stuff like sprockets and jet kit and air filter. That's about it cause from all the reading ans seein how much money and timeis invested, ill just wait a bit and sell my 300ex and get something with more power and newer.

Its not worth putting all kinds of money into a 300ex unless u are going all balls out.