PDA

View Full Version : break in on a rebuild..what do you guys do?

rebelbuggy
09-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Just wondered how most of you broke in a rebuilt engine. we bore and new piston in mine. I put back together and my buddy said to do as following..

1.Crank up idle for 15 minutes shut off drain oil and refill

let engine cool down

2.crank up ride around under a quarter throttle 15 mins shut off drain and replace with new oil filter.

let engine cool down

3.Crank up ride around quarter to half thorttle 15 minutes drain oil refill.

let engine cool down

4. crank up run this time mostly around half thorottle going to full for a 3 sec count let off and do this for 15 minutes and drain and refill and replace filter....

and now its broke in....

IS this how you guys do it or another way?

I did it this way for the most part. but I skiped a oil change.

I feel the bike is broke in it feels like its got more power then at the start. I run rc aiplanes and rc trucks and all I did break in on my rc truck the same way and it runs very strong..

just give me your thoughts

Thanks

Wildbrain
09-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Now that your new motor is broken in........... Change the oil and filter,go out and HAMMER DOWN , run the living **** out of it.
Get real muddy and have a good time.

rebelbuggy
09-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Wildbrain
Now that your new motor is broken in........... Change the oil and filter,go out and HAMMER DOWN , run the living **** out of it.
Get real muddy and have a good time.

LOL, I hear ya

250X_project
09-19-2006, 03:24 PM
My manual says just DON'T go over 1/3 throttle and DON'T let it stay at one RPM too long for the 1st 5hours of run time. my thoughts are just don't beat it and let it idle before and after riding. break in is very important. I wouldn't worry about missin' that oil change i think it would have been overkill anyway. (250X/300EX manual)

450r51
09-21-2006, 09:55 AM
there was a thread in here a while ago on how many engine builders have a very defferent way on how to break in an engine.

let it warm up ride around for a couple minutes let it cool down check the oil, then ride it how u ride your quad. if your an mx racer that means ride the piss out of. trail rider ride it how u ride. its a very easy concept.