PDA

View Full Version : lost my key....going to WV tomorrow...HELP!!!!!

johnson61
09-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Hey guys,
This is no joke, i'm not stealing anything, I've got my ex out in the garage, just moved to a new place, and I cant find my key and I'm going to WV tomorrow!!!! I'm pretty good with mechanical/electrical things, i'm going out there right now with my meter and try to figure it out.....but.... if anybody has done this before, and I'm sure you have... I'd sure apreciate the help! Please!?!

johnson61
09-03-2006, 10:49 AM
okay...... i've done a search on this topic and found a few replies, but they are all different, and some sound........... like opinions at best. Has anyone actually had to do this and have a good solution. I'm going to have to buy a new keyswitch and key from Ebay, and that'll be the permanante fix, but I need something for tomorrow. Thanks guys!

NacsMXer
09-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Don't quote me on this as I have never attempted this before, but the ignition switch is indeed a switch. Like the neutral switch that is controlled by your stock clutch lever, you can bypass the switch altogether by eliminating it and tying the wires together to complete the circuit.

I don't know how many wires come out of the key switch off hand, but I would start trying to splice pairs of wires together.....in theory it should work :ermm: Good luck with it anyhow :)

400eXr1d3rZ
09-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Try here:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28286&perpage=15&highlight=hotwire&pagenumber=2

Choppers
09-03-2006, 01:36 PM
no joke i lost mine 2 weeks ago i think my 3 year old brother got it and what he did with it i don't know. i just bought a new key switch to be done with it because when i got it the guy only gave me 1 key.

400eXr1d3rZ
09-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Choppers
no joke i lost mine 2 weeks ago i think my 3 year old brother got it and what he did with it i don't know. i just bought a new key switch to be done with it because when i got it the guy only gave me 1 key.

Same with me, the guy I bought it from only gave me one key, but he stil had the other one, I think he was trying to come back and steal it! :blah:

Well, we got him to give us the other key somehow. But I lost one so I only have 1 left.

bh2285
09-03-2006, 05:30 PM
I have a switch and 1 key for sale if anyone wants it pm me.

Thanks,
Brad

onzthrottle
09-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Don't quote me on this as I have never attempted this before, but the ignition switch is indeed a switch. Like the neutral switch that is controlled by your stock clutch lever, you can bypass the switch altogether by eliminating it and tying the wires together to complete the circuit.

I don't know how many wires come out of the key switch off hand, but I would start trying to splice pairs of wires together.....in theory it should work :ermm: Good luck with it anyhow :)

He's right. Just splice the two wires together. I did it on my 'shee when I changed the handle bars out.

Dweezil
09-15-2006, 10:53 PM
You don't have to buy a new key switch to get new keys!

The key code for all your HONDA cylinders is stamped on the side of the swith. All you have to do is take that code to any dealer and they can make you a key in about 2 minutes.

Where are you at in NC I'm in rockingham if you stop by the shop I can cut you some spares cheap.

TCracin440ex
09-16-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Dweezil
You don't have to buy a new key switch to get new keys!

The key code for all your HONDA cylinders is stamped on the side of the swith. All you have to do is take that code to any dealer and they can make you a key in about 2 minutes.

Where are you at in NC I'm in rockingham if you stop by the shop I can cut you some spares cheap.

bs....i had this problem with my 450r i lost one of my keys....so i asked the dealer if i could give some numbers and get a new one made....nope...you have to order a blank from honda and get a locksmith to cut it...i orderd a blank and got a locksmith to cut it and now i have 2 keys yet again...i paid 6 dollars for the key and 1.50 for havin it cut...id suggest getting some blanks orderd and getting them cut before you loose all your keys and have to order a whole new ignition switch & key

bubba's400ex
09-16-2006, 07:11 AM
no the dealer will give you one if you give them the code because my cousin did it. he called the dealership and gave them the code and they sent him a new key.

400eXr1d3rZ
09-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by bubba's400ex
no the dealer will give you one if you give them the code because my cousin did it. he called the dealership and gave them the code and they sent him a new key.

Well thats not good, what if someone stole your quad? But had no keys? They call the dealer, tell them the number, and there they have a key. You need the title.

bubba's400ex
09-16-2006, 01:33 PM
well you should need a title or something but he did it over the phone and all they did was ask for the code.