PDA

View Full Version : 450er starter problem

thor405
09-03-2006, 10:20 AM
My starter is just spining, will not engage engine to turn over. If I put it in gear and rock it back and forth it will engage and start. Any help before I tear into it would be usefull.

Flodies400ex
09-03-2006, 11:14 AM
you got the ER right because I think if you turn up your idle up on the bottom right under the gas tank is where it is and DO NOT push on the gas what ever you do and that maybe should help because I had that same problem before with mine

lumi
09-03-2006, 11:40 AM
you most likely burned your started or a component of it. its not too much money for a fix tho. but people blame honda on defective starters but you have to understand that choke, no throttle, and 5 sec hold rule has been a big factor that i have seen that has caused premature wear on these starters. but might not be completly your fault. just my .2 cents

-lumi

KrazyKeith
09-03-2006, 08:05 PM
lumi is right my starter failed I went on a rampage to Honda cuz my starter was out on a 2 month old machine. I got it fixed and when I went to pick it up the dealer said start your bike~ I did and pushed the throttle a litte bit and he said there you go. Thats why its out. you touched the throttle and it's kicking back on the starter clutch. at that time I had just installed a hot cam and was worried they would know it when they fixed but they didnt. Now the bike is 7 months old and starts fine everytime. No throttle ever. I was just used to starting things givin em sum gas.

4ABURN
09-04-2006, 08:34 AM
NO affence KrazyKeith but this is a big problem people are having all this starter problems and it is because they are not starting the quad the proper way (not ALL are ) but they get mad at the quad think it is crap,and its there falt. Sorry I just needed to vent this. I have had my 06 for almost a year now and never a starting problem,and I drive it alot. trails, track cold ,hot it doesn,t matter.:D :D If somone takes mine for a drive I have to tell them,not to touch the gas or sure enough if they stall it,they touch the gas and it will not start.:confused:

Dave400ex
09-04-2006, 09:36 AM
People not starting them right or not, the starting system is still crap. I had mine for 5 months and didn't touch the throttle, unless by mistake, and the starter clutch and idler gear went out. I raced last Sunday, and the thing still will not start when it is hot. It sucks having to wait a minute or two during a race for it to re-fire.

lumi
09-04-2006, 09:43 AM
the quad not starting after a stall is not the affect of the starter, kickers can have it aswell. also a major problem i was stating is not only the throttle pushing during starting but how long people hold them. my freind would hold it for 10-15 seconds and after his starter went he was like wtf!!. he overheated the starter time after time and it went. 5 seconds is the limit for the starter button to be pushed. and after 3 trys, there is suppose to be a 10 second waiting period so you dont over heat it.

-lumi

09-04-2006, 09:54 AM
do not use the throttle to start it, but like my dealer told me a week ago...honda did not know this nor did the dealers. so in effect, honda has a lot of damaged starters that they are repairing with an update. even hough i have known for a while not to use throttle when starting it, i did not know this when i bought the bike. it has kicked back on me a few times and will be going into the dealership for free repair this friday. i was told that the damage most likely has already been done if it has kicked back on me. the dealer will do the update on my starter. hopefully, it helps the hot starting of it also...

Dave400ex
09-04-2006, 09:58 AM
I try not to hold it for very long like you say, and if it doesn't start after a few trys then yes it does need a break. I'm not sure why mine went out, if anything I bet it was from overheating. I'm just afraid now replacing the starter clutch/components is going to be a "common" thing. Why couldn't Honda make the 450 start like a 400ex? My 400 would start no matter what. I just don't understand how they could make something as simple as the starting be such a pain for everyone. Let's hope they change it...

lumi
09-04-2006, 10:37 AM
i feel your pain dave, i would worry and have alot of second thoughts about my bike if the starter went and so on 100 % understand you, but your best bet is to start with a fresh starter and start from there. use the e-start rules and see what happens. :D

thor405
09-05-2006, 10:10 AM
I talked to a couple friends over the weekend and they think it sounds like the starter clutch and gear also. thanks for the replies. 2006 sponsors: Big Gun, White Knuckle Grips, Tag Metals, Reginia, Smith, DP Brakes, Pro Clean 1000, Engine Ice, Pump-X, Gaerne, RB Components, Factory Effex, Twin Air, Cycra, Tek Bolt, Carbon Fiber Works, Skorbordz, IMS-Roll, Outerwears, Galfer USA, Klotz.

RedRacer44
09-05-2006, 10:16 AM
It should be the starter clutch and gears, we've had to fix a few ERs in the last month with this problem. Its around $300 or so after parts/labor to fix it. Unless you are still under warranty or have Honda's HPP....

We actually still have 1 in the shop now....wait on the parts. The inner gear just spins freely.....

Bigun55
09-05-2006, 10:22 AM
There is two guys were i live that has the 450er and theyve both had to take them back and get the starter fixed on them. they say its were you gove it gas when you start it.

Dave400ex
09-05-2006, 07:05 PM
RedRacer44 why doesn't Honda change something to fix it? It would be different if only a few people had problems, but that is not the case.