PDA

View Full Version : trust the dealer?

thumpinex
09-03-2006, 09:30 AM
ok i think iv decided to grab up a 450r(as soon as the boat sells). i was told that if the dealer puts the hrc kit in its still under warrentee. i live in hydepark ny and there is dutchess rec and monronies cycle in the area that sell honda. i was wondeing if anyone had problems with the hrc kit killing reilability or had either of these 2 dealers mess anything up.hehe im hoping that i pick the correct bike. i was also looking at the ltr.

GPracer2500
09-03-2006, 12:04 PM
A little bit about warranties:

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is federal law and it defines what is and is not covered under a written warranty. The dealer doesn't have any say it the matter--but they'd like you to think they have the final word. Bottom line: the HRC kit won't void the warranty even if YOU install it. Or, you could buy aftermarket parts and make your own "HRC kit", install it yourself and it still would not automatically void the warranty. You can install any parts you want, really. The warranty is only affected if the parts you install cause a failure (because of the part itself or because of faulty installation). And then the warranty is only affected concerning that particular failure. Other than maybe sanctioned racing (and even that is debatable) I'm not aware of anything you can do to void the entire warranty in one fell swoop.

Quick examples: 1) You install a cam and screw up the install which destroys the valves. The warranty won't cover that failure (although the rest of the machine's warranty is still intact). 2) You install a cam and the transmission failes. That failure will is still covered under the warranty. The tranny has nothing to do with the valvetrain. The dealer would have to prove that the cam was somehow responsible for the tranny failure in order to rightfully deny the warranty.

Dealers don't like warranty work. It cloggs up their service departments and in the end costs them money. For that reason they often take advantage of folks who think the dealer gets to decide what they will or won't cover under warranty. Just be aware of the facts before you ever get steamrolled.