PDA

View Full Version : head pipe welds?

live2ride
08-28-2002, 10:44 PM
in the morning i will atenpt rejetting my carb and installing my wb e series slip on of course not in that order . i have read many threads where some of you have ground down the welds on your head pipes when up grading the silencer . could you please elaborate as to what to use and where exactly these welds are . i haven't really looked at it yet so this may be self explanatory but any help would be appreciated . ROCK ON

DESDAK4
08-28-2002, 10:49 PM
You have to pull the headpipe off and look in where it connects to the jug, about a half inch or so in you will see them. Grind those smooth with the inside of the pipe and you should be good.
Jay

live2ride
08-28-2002, 11:00 PM
what sort of tool will i need to grind them , thanks

DESDAK4
08-28-2002, 11:02 PM
I used my Air dremil. I had stone that just happened to be the same size as the inside of the pipe so it worked out real good.
Jay

Sick0
08-29-2002, 12:27 PM
Yeah just look in on the pipe you will see what he means. Also have you thought about removing the choke.

08-29-2002, 01:23 PM
yea u should remove the choke if ur goin to add a silencer n jet it n also grind the welds

Sick0
08-29-2002, 01:32 PM
Removing the choke adds more power than you it would.

lilpoppy
11-12-2002, 08:17 PM
i guess i don't know what a jug is. Are the welds on the end where the header bolts onto your engine or where the muffler slips on?

KAWSAM62
11-13-2002, 06:55 AM
there on the end that bolts to the engine and this mod does work:devil

oregonrider89
11-13-2002, 12:32 PM
I agree with KAWSAM62, this mod is worth your time, especily if your going to have you silencer off.

oregonrider89

lilpoppy
11-13-2002, 07:27 PM
well i took my header off and i don't know what you guys are talking about a weld a half inch in but i noticed that at the very end of the header on both sides that the pipe seemed to be raised up all the way around the pipe but it was hard to see because the inside was entirely black. So i ground that off but there was absolutly nothing about a half inch in. Did i grind the right spot? I'm assuming i did.

bklyn400ex
11-13-2002, 07:55 PM
i did the same thing, i hope we did it right, and it was a biatch to do

AtvMxRider
11-13-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
well i took my header off and i don't know what you guys are talking about a weld a half inch in but i noticed that at the very end of the header on both sides that the pipe seemed to be raised up all the way around the pipe but it was hard to see because the inside was entirely black. So i ground that off but there was absolutly nothing about a half inch in. Did i grind the right spot? I'm assuming i did.

Yes that was what they were talking about. you did the right thing. you want the exhaust to flow a smoothly as possible with no restrictions.

lilpoppy
11-13-2002, 08:23 PM
I agree bklyn400ex i expected it to be really easy but the bolts that hold the headers to the engine are hella hard to get lined up and i couldnt get my silencer to slide back on. It was actually harder to do that than it was to rejet my carb.

bklyn400ex
11-13-2002, 09:50 PM
i put on a new slip on, and i didnt rejet, and it runs fine, how can i tell if i have 2 rejet?

lilpoppy
11-13-2002, 11:21 PM
most people say just to pull out your spark plug and see what color it is. White means you are too lean, light brown you are just right, or black means you are too rich. when you add a slip on you mare than likely need to rejet but it depends on your elevation. A lot of people think that the spark plug trick doesn't work that well becase of all the additives in gas but it is the best way i know of. By the way you want to be looking down inside the spark plug for the color changes.

bklyn400ex
11-14-2002, 02:14 PM
thanx alot, i'll look as soon as i get the bike back, im in NY i left it in pennsylvania