PDA

View Full Version : Sprockets.

JJ69
09-03-2006, 05:06 AM
Well i bought my 250x, and after one HARD day of riding, all day long, i cooked the old front sprocket. By the time i got home it would barely move, pretty much stripped clean.
Now for my question... What should i get for a sprocket?
should i get less or more teeth, what brand is toughest, prices?
my back one is fine and the chain is good, so i want to put a good front sprocket on her.
I do alot of road driving, but i also do trails... which sprocket will give me more power?
will it cut down my top speed a whole lot?(around 100kmph)

and, someone took the baffles out of the exhaust, so its loud, it sounds good, but should it be jetted or the valves adjusted for the pipe without baffles?

I rode the thing hard all day yesterday, mud holes, highways, jumps, pits, a mountain, i have to say i am VERY pleased with the performance of the bike.. it doesnt jump very well, probably because of the stock suspension, but the damn thing will fly.
I found renthal sprockets on rockymountains website for 18.99... are they any good? or would i be just as well off with the $7 one by primary drive?

Comments, Suggestions?

bansheexcracer2
09-03-2006, 08:01 AM
When one sprocket is bad I replace both and the chain. I use RK chains and SUNSTAR sprockets. If you drop teeth in the front it will give you better acceleration=less speed. Raise the teeth in the front it will give you more speed=less acceleration. You shouldnt need to ajust anything for the baffles.

JJ69
09-03-2006, 08:15 AM
right on thanks

where can i order those sprockets? it has a did x-ring chain new like 2 months ago, and the back sprocket was new like 2 months ago, but buddy didnt replace the front...

wilkin250r
09-03-2006, 11:25 AM
I'd just go with the cheap primary drive sprocket. The 250X isn't pumping out enough power to need a high-dollar specialty sprocket.

You can order from many places. Call C&D (site sponser), or Dennis Kirk, or Rocky Mountain, just to name a few. However, for a cheap item, you might be better off paying a few extra dollars at your local shop and avoid the shipping fees.

JJ69
09-03-2006, 11:45 AM
ok, thanks. i do drive it like a raptor, i work the thing pretty hard, so i figured a good sprocket would be a good investment.
i had a 200sx a while ago and went through a chain and sprockets(40$ for all) every 2 months.
dont wanna end up the same way with this and wreck my sidecase or something.

Choppers
09-03-2006, 01:33 PM
i would also reccommend lubing the chain, might get a little more life out of it.

CannondaleRider
09-03-2006, 02:01 PM
A good set of sprockets, and a quality chain, with good maintanance....up against the low power and low torque of a 250X, should last a VERY long time.

I'd go with Sidewinder sprockets, and a Regina chain, if possible.