PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Chrome?

stocktires
09-02-2006, 08:40 PM
What is good to polish old chromed parts? I think its a bit more than what the usual chrome polish can do. Will something like 2000 grit sand paper or some type of wool work? I tried 1500 on an unconspicuous (sp?) are and it dulls the chrome.

jonboy
09-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Sorry to tell you this but, chrome really cant be polished. If you keep it clean it while shine better. The plating on most chrome is just a thin layer, unless it is triple nickle coated which they have only started doing in recent years or an industrial hard chrome, which you only see on heavy machinery and equipment. Chrome is actually very corrosive to metal and that is why you typically see it rust very easy. Probably the best thing you would be able to do is maybe use scowering powder such as Comet to remove some of the light corrosion that usually dulls the chrome. Just use a rag, water, Comet, and a little elbow grease to clean it. You might be surprised at how well it works.

stocktires
09-03-2006, 12:51 AM
Thanx, where can I get Comet at?

jonboy
09-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Most grocery stores have it, or even the Dollar General Store. Most all scowering powders are the same though. Ajax is another one. Any one of them will do.

jonboy
09-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Is what your wanting to polish actually chrome? Or is it Polished aluminum? I had to ask, I dont want you t get mixed up and ruin the aluminum if that is what it is. But I do have a great aluminum polish brand for you.:)

stocktires
09-03-2006, 01:41 AM
no, its chrome for sure.
Also, do you know of a way to remove chrome?

400eXr1d3rZ
09-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by stocktires
no, its chrome for sure.
Also, do you know of a way to remove chrome?

My guess would be either sand it off, or use some sort of paint thinner.

stocktires
09-03-2006, 12:41 PM
The Ajax did awesome! Thanx jonboy!