PDA

View Full Version : Header bolts!?! Please read

Phills450r
09-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Ok I know this isn't supposed to happen but my quad sat out in weather for about a year.. (wasn't really a big fan of racing but just got into it pretty big lately) and I went to change out my header and I tried taking off the nuts on header bolts and the whole bolt comes out the motor.. is this gonna be really bad if I put it back in but do NOT tighten it hard enough to strip it.. just enough were it is in snug.. Please tell me this isn't gonna cost me alot :( I just put $2,300 in this thing and now this happens.

Thanks

BTW: It is now garage kept.. lol

Airik79mx
09-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Just buy new studs and nuts

Phills450r
09-02-2006, 09:28 PM
If I buy those how do I put the stud in and make it stay in without loosening it again when I take the bolts off?

Quad Dude
09-03-2006, 07:33 AM
you should be able to just put the new ones in and be done i have had that happen to me before but if that dosnt work just loctite them in. and the only reason i wouldnt recomend that right away is if it would break it would suck getting it out

09-03-2006, 07:42 AM
I would just crank the old stuff back in there and not worry about it. The tension from the header flange will keep it from backing out.

When I put my quad back together. I either use loctite or anti-seize on every nut and bolt. Depending on where it was.

tltcracing
09-03-2006, 08:43 AM
DO NOT PANIC!!!! i just had the same thing happen to me about a week ago. there really isnt any big deal with just using the studs the way they are but if you really want a new set just order them from moto sport outlet or somewhere that sells OEM parts. they have them in stock end they take 3-4 days to get to your house. i think the studs and nuts all to gether cost around $8. again you have done nothing wrong to your bike and there is not any damage so dont worry.

Phills450r
09-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by tltcracing
DO NOT PANIC!!!! i just had the same thing happen to me about a week ago. there really isnt any big deal with just using the studs the way they are but if you really want a new set just order them from moto sport outlet or somewhere that sells OEM parts. they have them in stock end they take 3-4 days to get to your house. i think the studs and nuts all to gether cost around $8. again you have done nothing wrong to your bike and there is not any damage so dont worry.

thanks, thats probably what I will do.