View Full Version : street legal?

exrider92
09-02-2006, 12:54 PM
don't mean to be dumb but why arent atvs street legal?

thx
-exrider92

09-02-2006, 12:59 PM
You didn't mean to be but....

rooster300ex
09-02-2006, 01:03 PM
probably because they are open wheeled,made to run knobbies. I bet you can make one street legal.

exrider92
09-02-2006, 01:10 PM
how could i find out how to make one street legal? it would be sooo cool!

GPracer2500
09-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by exrider92
how could i find out how to make one street legal? it would be sooo cool!

It varys state to state. Contact your MVD to find out. It's pretty easy to do in AZ.

LTZ400rider
09-02-2006, 03:55 PM
i dont even see why some1 would want to ride one street legal except to get to riding spots without a truck. no differential, u kill your tires. maybe it would be fun once in a while but it would get beat.

isotope
09-02-2006, 04:01 PM
i think in europe you can make them street legal. pretty sure turn signals, lights, and mirrors are required. i've seen it done in videos where the atv kept up with streetbikes stunt and speed wise...the dude only had one leg too.

rebelbuggy
09-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
i dont even see why some1 would want to ride one street legal except to get to riding spots without a truck. no differential, u kill your tires. maybe it would be fun once in a while but it would get beat.

If anyone find out how you can make one legal in GA let me know....

I would ride my quad everywhere lol, well not everywhere but on short trips...Expessilly when it snows ( oh ya im in ga it never snows lOL)

Xater
09-02-2006, 04:46 PM
i remember in atvsport mag. there was a small acticle on a street leagal raptor in CA

firefighterjosh
09-04-2006, 03:14 AM
In Indiana all you have to do is send in a registration that cost $30 for 3 years. You can ride down all county roads. To awnser a queation above "why do you ride on the roads" I live in the country and I ride to get places. Going to the riding area, need to go to the farm real fast. I have 2 sets of tires. Stockers for road riding and aftermarket for racing. PLus I do not have a Motorcycle so it makes it nice to ride during hot weather.

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
In Indiana all you have to do is send in a registration that cost $30 for 3 years. You can ride down all county roads. To awnser a queation above "why do you ride on the roads" I live in the country and I ride to get places. Going to the riding area, need to go to the farm real fast. I have 2 sets of tires. Stockers for road riding and aftermarket for racing. PLus I do not have a Motorcycle so it makes it nice to ride during hot weather.

Thats Cool...

bansheerider4
09-04-2006, 11:26 AM
in ohio all you have to do is get a license plate mirrors blinkers and a horn..well at least were i live it is.....

i think in europe you can make them street legal. pretty sure turn signals, lights, and mirrors are required. i've seen it done in videos where the atv kept up with streetbikes stunt and speed wise...the dude only had one leg too.

in a quad magazine i have there makin a street legal polaris for england..its called the revolver....i think it looks pretty sweet myselfhttp://pi54.com/newsletter/pressrelease/revolverPR/revolver_2_large.jpg

One_Bad_400
09-04-2006, 11:31 AM
they are illegal becasue they do not have seat belts on them... and if you wear a seat belt on a ATV you are a retard and i would like to see what you look like after you roll it over wile going down the road... lol

JJ69
09-04-2006, 11:40 AM
i wanted to find papers for a 250 street/trail and put a light kit on my 250x and get it registered as a street/trail bike.. thatd be cool.
i'm in canada, they dont let us drive on the roads.. but where i live its 2-4 minutes driving on the road before we canhit the trails, so i drive on the road every day.. i've met cops on the road before and as long as i'm on the side and not speeding then they dont usually mind.. then again i have been warned a time or two to not drive on the road.. i think theres a canadian law that you can drive no longer than 20 yards or something on the shoulder, to cross or hit the next trail.. and you have to drive less than half the speed limit.. not that many bikes here have speedo's.. lol
i just stay on my side of the road and giver.

I think a raptor would be wicked with some street tires, it would definately keep up with traffic.. and i'd think a quad would be safer than a crotch rocket..
i had a picture of a raptor all chromed up red on black with street tires, it was sweet.. doubt it was street legal though.

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
they are illegal becasue they do not have seat belts on them... and if you wear a seat belt on a ATV you are a retard and i would like to see what you look like after you roll it over wile going down the road... lol

Thats a stupid comment cause motercycles dont have seat belts and nither do mopeds and stuff, so thats not it, I really dont know why they are ilegal

JJ69
09-04-2006, 11:47 AM

... street bikes dont have seatbelts.
buses dont have seatbelts.
bicycles dont have seatbelts.

NorCalRacer
09-04-2006, 11:50 AM
That comment wasn't stupid at all. Until definitions of ATV's are turned into motorcycles (three or less wheels) they are treated like cars (4 wheels). His comment hit the nail on the head, if they were classified as motorcycles there would be no problem, but they are classified similar to cars, at least where I live.

One_Bad_400
09-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by rebelbuggy
Thats a stupid comment cause motercycles dont have seat belts and nither do mopeds and stuff, so thats not it, I really dont know why they are ilegal

well thanks for the stuped comment back... becasue 2 wheels is consedered a motorcycle... and if it has 4 wheels... its considered a car... so cars have to have seat belts... DUMB ARSE!!!!

JJ69
09-04-2006, 11:56 AM
cars also have a cage around them and alot of safety equipment.. but why dont buses have seatbelts then? buses have from 4-8 wheels.
you should be able to register an atv the same as a street/trail bike.. you need a speedo, signals, horn, etc. dual brake lights and headlights.. i know i wouldnt wanna get rear ended on a raptor at a stop sign though.
maybe its the small wheelbase.. anyone notice that on the pavement at 100 on a wheeler, it doesnt handle that well?

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 12:04 PM
well thanks for the stuped comment back... becasue 2 wheels is consedered a motorcycle... and if it has 4 wheels... its considered a car... so cars have to have seat belts... DUMB ARSE!!!!

In the state of GA if your in a truck you dont have to have a seat belt.....

so 2 wheels is a motorcycle but how about a tric(sp?)( 3 wheels)
and the last time I checked # wheelers went street legal either.

Dunn buggys are street legal and they have 4 wheels.
some are smaller some are bigger but yet a Go carts not..

I really dont get why 4 wheelers and 3 wheelers arent legal on the road....

Well 100 mph on a 4 wheeler would be shacky but then again I havent seen a posted speed limit of 100 either. 75 on the interstae where I live mostly 35 ,45, or 55...

if they were legal they should be legal on those roads just like mopeds are only for driving on 35mph roads and below.
At least thats the law in GA

I dont know about other places

JJ69
09-05-2006, 12:17 PM
after some research and a well thought-out email to the dmv of Nova Scotia.. this is the reply i got.. it did not answer the questions i asked.. it just pretty much told me NO.

Hello Mr Jones:

Thank you for your email dated September 4, 2006 regarding your all
terrain vehicle.

If a vehicle has been designated as an Off-Highway vehicle, it will
always remain an Off-Highway vehicle regardless of what changes are made
to the vehicle.

If the vehicle is brand new, then it is stated on the manufacturer's
form (NVIS... New vehicle identification statement) that it is an
Off-Highway Vehicle.

If the vehicle has been purchased from another person and was once
registered as an Off-Highway Vehicle, again, it remains an Off-Highway
vehicle.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you,

Heather MacLean

bwamos
09-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by JJ69
cars also have a cage around them and alot of safety equipment.. but why dont buses have seatbelts then? buses have from 4-8 wheels.

Busses are what they call a compartmentalized vehicle, and do not require seatbelts. That's why there's no dang foot room between the seats. ;)

I was going to mention the OHV designation also.. but you beat me to it.

JJ69
09-05-2006, 12:31 PM
i dont understand her reply though, because i could go buy a brand new dirtbike and 2 days later i can put lights, etc on it and have it street legal. why cant you do the same with atvs?
i have replied and asked her that as well.

rebelbuggy
09-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by JJ69
i dont understand her reply though, because i could go buy a brand new dirtbike and 2 days later i can put lights, etc on it and have it street legal. why cant you do the same with atvs?
i have replied and asked her that as well.

I dont know either.. cause its the way the law is I guess..

Raptor68
09-05-2006, 01:55 PM
One of the main reasons quads aren't street legal is the lack of a differential in the rear. Sure the 4x4 quads with independent rear suspension have a differential, but sport quads just have a straight axle and when they take turns on flat pavement, the wheel on the inside of the turn rotates at a much different rate than the wheel on the outside of the turn...basically they hop around turns if they don't slide. This is why trikes (three-wheeled motorcycles like Honda Goldwings and Harleys) are street legal. They have a differential. Also, quads don't have lights, horns, etc. A plastic gas tank is also a part of the reason they are illegal. If you look at the Honda XR600, it has a metal gas tank. Sure you can make bikes like the CRF450X street legal, but it takes some work and jumping through hoops.

rebelbuggy
09-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Raptor68
One of the main reasons quads aren't street legal is the lack of a differential in the rear. Sure the 4x4 quads with independent rear suspension have a differential, but sport quads just have a straight axle and when they take turns on flat pavement, the wheel on the inside of the turn rotates at a much different rate than the wheel on the outside of the turn...basically they hop around turns if they don't slide. This is why trikes (three-wheeled motorcycles like Honda Goldwings and Harleys) are street legal. They have a differential. Also, quads don't have lights, horns, etc. A plastic gas tank is also a part of the reason they are illegal. If you look at the Honda XR600, it has a metal gas tank. Sure you can make bikes like the CRF450X street legal, but it takes some work and jumping through hoops.

My 300ex has a metal gas tank.
But agree I am sure those reasons you said is why there not legal for road use. But it would be cool if they were, here in GA we have a town about 1 hour away that its legal to drive golf carts around the town...... my 4 wheeler alot faster that those lol..

JJ69
09-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by rebelbuggy
My 300ex has a metal gas tank.
But agree I am sure those reasons you said is why there not legal for road use. But it would be cool if they were, here in GA we have a town about 1 hour away that its legal to drive golf carts around the town...... my 4 wheeler alot faster that those lol..

so drop your 300ex motor in a golf cart :D

roundsy
09-05-2006, 03:40 PM
JJ69, in ontario, the regulations changed july 31st, 2003...this is what was stated:
Regulations allow certain atv's to have greater access to the shoulder and some paved portions to ontarios highways. This applies to atvs with the following characteristics:

- four wheels, with all tires in contact with the ground;
- steering handlebars;
- a seat that is designed to be strattled by the driver;
- desiogned to carry a driver only (no passangers).

it continues to say that qualified atvs are now permitted to operate o nthe shoulder of certain highways* provided they:
1. travel in the same direction as traffic;
2. move to the portion of the highwayonly if the shoulder is unsafe/impassable;
3. observe a speed limit that is lower than the posted limits (maximum 20km/h where the posted limit is 50 km/h or less, maximus 50 km/h where the posted limit is over 50 km/h);
4. do not carry passangers

license and registration requirements

the law requires that all riders wear an approved motorcycle helmet and have a valid G2/M2 or greater driver's license when operating on a permitted road.
all atvs must be registered with the ministry of transportation and have a valid permit - this includes vehicles that are operated exclusively on your own property. atvs can not be registered to anyone under the age of 16
persons under 12 are not permitted to drive an atv on land other than vehicles owner only under close supervision of an adult.
in ontario atvs must be insured under an automobile policy.

i have my quad registered, and insured but not plated yet. this just a repeat of the papers i got in the mail from my insurance company to inform me, i know its not exactly what your looking for in completely making it street legal such as a motorcycle but its at least a start.

sorry for the long post

bansheerider4
09-06-2006, 01:11 PM
so cars have to have seat belts

unless they were made before 1960:p

JJ69
09-06-2006, 01:30 PM
they were still optional before the 60s.

i just replied to the dmv asking WHY, not just whether or not, and this is what they sent me.. i pointed out that a dirtbike can be prepared and registered for the road..
Nova scotia has something like that.. we're allowed to cross highways and drive on the shoulder for no more than like 20 feet or something.. i guess to get around culverts or driveways maybe?
we will need insurance beginning next year on bikes.. but right now you only need it if you race, or if you want it.

Hello Mr. Jones,

Again, thank you for your email dated September 5, 2006 related to
registering your 4 wheel All Terrain Vehicle for on-highway use.

Section 11 of the Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Act states;

"The Department shall not register, and no person shall operate on a
highway, a miniature motor vehicle, an all terrain vehicle, an
air-cushioned vehicle, a "go-kart", a "mini-bike", a motorized vehicle
designed to be driven exclusively or chiefly on snow or ice or both, or
any motorized vehicle of a like nature."

Therefore, a 4 wheel All Terrain Vehicle may not be registered for
on-highway use even with the modifications you have mentioned..

"Dirt bikes" that are identified by the manufacturer as "for
off-highway use only:" would not be considered for highway use unless
written permission by the manufacturer was granted. Street/ Trail bikes,
that are produced for both on and off-highway use are designated as such
by the manufacturer. Street/ Trail Bike are designed and tested to
insure they meet specifications outlined under the Federal Motor Vehicle
Safety Act (Canada). These types of "bikes" are certified through
Transport Canada for on-highway use.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us
again. Have a good day, Gord.

Xater
09-06-2006, 05:07 PM
the place where i go hunting in new york you can ride atv on any public roads if the atv is registerd. which is basicly in the middle of no where :p

juanki
09-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by NorCalRacer
That comment wasn't stupid at all. Until definitions of ATV's are turned into motorcycles (three or less wheels) they are treated like cars (4 wheels). His comment hit the nail on the head, if they were classified as motorcycles there would be no problem, but they are classified similar to cars, at least where I live.
THIS IS ABSOLUTLY TRUE...

I read in a magazine an article for a modifided raptor, where the guy ( this was in california) removed the rear axle and put a single tire in the back with an extended arm. makin it a trike, he also put tires and wheels that are for high way and some other mods, and then he traveled fron ca. to somewhere in the east coast.