PDA

View Full Version : Searched and couldnt find... light switch removal?

TMSmx47
09-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Hey guys whats up. I see alot of you have no big light switches on your MXer's and Im lookin to do the same. I searched and couldnt find anything on the subject. I want to take off my bulky light switch cluster too. I have the works connection clutch lever with HOT START and Pro Design tether kill. So now the whole things not needed anymore. What kind of wiring do I need to do, if any, to take the light and kill swith off? Thanks for your help guys.

ride300exrider
09-02-2006, 11:24 AM
hey i was just about to ask the same queston 2 i have a hot start perch and a teather kill and i wanted to know if i could wire the new kill switch right into the factor on like just cut the wires down and use the stock wireing? also like he asked what has to be done to the stock light wireing to take the lights off?

thanks guys

tltcracing
09-02-2006, 11:54 AM
it very easy. just unscrew the 3 or 4 bolts on the box itself. it should then come apart in two peaces. then trace the wire grouping under the hood to where it connects to another plug. then unplug it and your done.

ride300exrider
09-02-2006, 12:39 PM
but can u wire the teather right into the stock kill switch wires?

Architects
09-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Im actually doing this as we speak and am taking a break. Its rather easy. The light swithc kill switch will unplug in 2 spots underneath your front hood. Just do that and electrical tape up the other ends of the connections to prevent contaminates from getting in.

ride300exrider
09-02-2006, 01:14 PM
yes i was just takingthe light off i just got dont that under the hood
but i dont know if i can do the hole kill switch thing
i dont wanna **** it up

450R_lover
09-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Alright... here it goes.
First, take your hood off. Take the hotstart cable off of the lever by popping off the little clip on the cable and then take the cable out. You should then take the light/kill switch thing off the handlebars using a phillips head screw driver. then track the wires connected to the handlebar switch down to under the hood. you then unhook where those wires plug in that is mounted to the frame. that is how you take off the light/kill switch stuff.

To wire up your tether kill switch you will need to go to the plug that you disconnected the handlebar light/kill switch from. you will then detatch that from the frame so that you can get a better handle on it. pull the jacket back or cut it down a little bit so that you can see the wires connected to the plug.. i think the plug is white. find the wire that is black with a white tracer and splice into it. Connect your hot wire of your tether to this and put black tape around it. then ground your ground wire to the frame somewhere under a bolt or something. make sure that you scrape some of paint off the frame so it gets a good metal to metal ground. then mount your tether to the bars wherever you like.

You may have to get a new hot start cable to use it with your new perch and lever . i got an srp metals one offf of www.magicracing.com . anyway.. put your cable into the new hotstart lever before you mount it on the bars... this will make it easier to get the cable in. Then mount the clutch and perch to the bars and put your clutch cable in and your ready to go.

Shweew... that was a lot of typing. it may sound like jibberish but i got it out. If you guys dont understand something, let me know and i will try to rephrase.

Later :macho

TMSmx47
09-02-2006, 07:07 PM
^^^^ Perfect explanation!^^^^^^

Worked like a charm and was easier then I thought. Thanks so much!

450R_lover
09-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Yep.. no problem man. Im glad you understood that. haha. well.. get to ridin' that thing. :devil:

TMSmx47
09-02-2006, 07:31 PM
YUP YUP! Wanted it set up cuz busy weekend here for District 6. I have 2 different races, 2 different tracks. A racers dream right!

ride300exrider
09-03-2006, 12:11 PM
yea thanks it worked good again thanks for the help

450R_lover
09-04-2006, 07:20 AM
No prob. Im glad to help.. if i wasnt i wouldnt have typed all of that cause my fingers started cramping! haha j/k :p