PDA

View Full Version : 2000 honda 300 ex timing

justdave
09-01-2006, 07:56 PM
i recently bought a 2000 300 ex that needed a head i got it all together ...i brought the piston to top dead center pulled the little plug on the side the marks are lined there i lined my marks with the head ..know i have fire/gas/and compression.but it wont start every once inawhile it will back fire ..did i get something wrong timing off?

Tri-valleyracin
09-01-2006, 09:13 PM
are u geting spark? i would think the timming is off. it did the same thing on my quadracer when the flywheel key broke but thats a 2 stroke.

Mx_523
09-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Is there one line pointing vertical from the head also? Your soppose to be able to have three lines. Check if your getting a spark also.

justdave
09-03-2006, 11:02 AM
i see all three lines and it has nice blue spark ..

rebelbuggy
09-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by justdave
i see all three lines and it has nice blue spark ..

Take the plug out of the motor put your finger in the hole( not in it but cover the hole with ur finger)
and turn over the motor..... does it blow your finger off? or is it barley pushing on your finger..

It should blow your finger off this is the same thing mine was doing and it would not crank cause it didn't have the compressing it needed..

So I had to replace the piston and have mine bored out cause it was in bad bad shape

justdave
09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
it blows your finger of seems to have plenty of compression ..maybe i can take it some were and get the compression tested could be the problem i,m almost positive its timed right i,v checked it about 5 times .....thanks every one for the helpful tips

rebelbuggy
09-03-2006, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts_Suck
are your marks lined up on the cam?
what lines on cam? My book said just to make sure the motor was on TDC and the lobes of the cam were down when the timing marks were up left and right.

rebelbuggy
09-03-2006, 07:29 PM
there are 2 lines on the cam SPROCKET sorry

and you have to line them up with the top of the head

Oh, yeah I knew on the sprocket... You also have to make sure you get the lines just right.

justdave
09-03-2006, 10:40 PM
when my motors at tdc the lines on the cam gear are perfectly inline with the head and the top line on the gear is straight up...it has all kinds of spark but you can turn it over till the battery goes from full charge to dead and it dont even atemp to start i got frustrated with it and listed it for sale ..i got a guy that wants to trade me a ...1985 honda 250sx three wheeler thats in great shape he just
put new cdi and coil plastic all good clark tank new black water tires on
it kick start and elec start both work does anybody know if this sounds like a good deal i dont know much about honda,s i always ran yamaha,s

justdave
09-03-2006, 11:35 PM
i got thinkin about what rebelbuggy said about what happined with his compression rechecked mine it didnt seem right so i just tore it down took the complete top end off..total horror show the piston is junk the whole bottom on one side is broke the jug is scratched up the rings are stuck...so much for only needing a head sometimes a bargain aint a bargain i guess ...i think your right kickstarts _suck the more i thought on the three wheeler the more it seemed like a bad deal ..ok new question aftermarket or honda replacment parts? if i got to rebuild it i wanna do it so it will last

rebelbuggy
09-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by justdave
i got thinkin about what rebelbuggy said about what happined with his compression rechecked mine it didnt seem right so i just tore it down took the complete top end off..total horror show the piston is junk the whole bottom on one side is broke the jug is scratched up the rings are stuck...so much for only needing a head sometimes a bargain aint a bargain i guess ...i think your right kickstarts _suck the more i thought on the three wheeler the more it seemed like a bad deal ..ok new question aftermarket or honda replacment parts? if i got to rebuild it i wanna do it so it will last

I learned my lesson after hooking up to a battery charger and then jumping off useing my truck it would turn over but it never ever hit. my buddy told me its the piston somethings up.

Mine is a 96 300ex but I went with wisco piston got a 11:1 compersion as thats the only compression they had for mine with a wisco, I see online everyone has wisco stuff so they much be good. I had mine bore .40 over the guy who done my bore said wisco was a good company...

My buddy had a JE and has had troble with the rings and crap so he just got a wisco and his bike is now running great.

I only spent $228 on mine thats new piston, top end gasket (base gasket and head gasket)
buying me a book so i knew what i was doing
and having mine bore out.

piston was 118.00 itself

you can go back honda if you want, its all up to you I just wanted something a little better then stock.

bwamos
09-05-2006, 06:03 AM
When you lined up the lines on the sprocket.. where was the slack in the timing chain? All slack should be on the rear of the motor (tensioner side). If you accidentally did it with slack up front, it can throw your cam timing off 2-3 teeth. Retarding your timing enough to get blowback, and some potential backfiring, starting issues. Will run like a dog too.

rebelbuggy
09-05-2006, 06:19 AM
^^^^^^^ wiseco pistons are only $85

get a wesico 11:1 comp. .020 overbore

they are about $85.00

the wiseco piston 11:1 compersion that i got from my local Honda dealer was $118.00 why would I lie?

bwamos
09-05-2006, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by rebelbuggy
the wiseco piston 11:1 compersion that i got from my local Honda dealer was $118.00 why would I lie?

That's why we call them "stealerships". ;)

rebelbuggy
09-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
That's why we call them "stealerships". ;)

LOL ...... never heard that before.